This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mouth Sores

jcmi10236

jcmi10236 Newbie

Can you get mouth sores from eating the gluten? I have had many neg tests(frustrating) but find getting rid of gluten has really helped my tummy pain. I ate gluten yesterday and by the end of the day had mouth sores. I have had them many times but never connected the two. Just did not know why I got them. Tired and frustrated and looking for help! Doctors can only help so much. Realizing their not Gods.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

Yes, you can. That was one of my symptoms that went away completely when I went gluten-free.

richard

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

I also got mouth sores from time to time before going gluten-free. After an accidental cc glutening I got 2 within a couple of hours! :blink:

krystynycole Contributor

Definitely! It was one of the wonderful surprises that went away from going gluten-free!

ElseB Contributor

Absolutely. I used to get horrible canker sores that caused my whole mouth and glands to swell. My sister had them to, and in her case, it was an early warning sign of Crohn's Disease.

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Called aphthous ulcers...one of the many symptoms of Celiac disease. My son used to get them off and on as a child...no known cause and no treatment necessary according to the Dr. :blink: They would just go away on their own. Then come back. Until we went gluten free...then they never came back again.

We never made a connection until several months gluten free and we realized he hadn't gotten any mouth sores since dropping wheat/gluten. Amazing relief.

beebs Enthusiast

I used to get them all the time, in my nose too - sooo painful!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jcmi10236 Newbie

I get them on my tongue, inside mouth and lips! Normally dont last long. 1st couple times they gave me this mouthwash but now I just wait and it goes away. I have tested negative for celiacs but have went gluten free before the testing. My tummy and back pain so much better but so hard to watch. Especially using pans, utencils etc cross contamination. I have not gone that far yet! So much stress watching everything that enters the mouth. I also have IC wich limits diet!

lcarter Contributor

Yes, I had mouth ulcers, too, as a symptom of vitamin deficiencies. But the sores got much less numerous and frequent after adding Bronson's Super B's along with the Therapeutic Formula of vitamins and minerals...and then, totally went away after we discovered the celiac disease -- except, of course, if/when I get accidently glutened.

It is essential that we Celiacs take added vitamins and minerals to offset any nutritional deficiencies either because of malabsorption or because of a compromised diet. So, adding a Super B vitamin to you regime could be very helpful. It's nice to know that B vitamins are water soluble and so are not toxic in large amounts - in excess they just wash through your system.

By the way, Bronson vitamin and minerals are sold in many USA medical schools. I buy them over the internet at: Open Original Shared Link But, I am sure there are lots of other equally good companies out there.

This particular company was recommended to me when I was a research subject for many years with the Clayton Foundation Nutritional Research Project at the U of TX, Austin. Unfortunately, the foundation has lost it's funding and are no longer operating. But, they were a fabulous help to me all those years when the medical community was ignorant about celiac disease. In fact, they are the ones who told me I was very vitamin deficient and also discovered the fructose intolerance.

Archived