This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

What Do You Miss?

celiacchef

missy'smom Collaborator

I am really missing pizza, after a few years of no dairy and no tomatoes. I could probably manage to make and allergen-free crust but what to put on it? All the cheese alternatives are out due to other allergens-soy and tapioca. No nightshades so no red pepper sauce. No matter what it would be more of a foccacia than a pizza. I could make an olive an rosemary foccacia but just not the same without a gooey or saucy element. Some kind of dipping sauce for my foccacia? maybe a balsamic and oil might be ok but still not pizza.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
egallag Rookie

Grilled cheese. Okay, so sure I can get a knife, fight with a frozen loaf of Udi's for 5 minutes trying to pry 2 slices off, then defrost it, then slap together a sandwich. But frankly, it just isn't the same.

I totally get the Pop Tarts thing. My husband walked in with a box of some new tropical flavored ones about a week ago. "Oh, you wouldn't have liked them anyway." Really? Hi, have we met? Tropical fruit? omg yes please! I was tempted to beat him senseless with the box.

Had to really laugh out loud at the Udi's comment. Did this just the other day, I thought, let me grab a piece of toast on my way out, opened the bag could not get a single slice, put it back in the freezer and grabbed a rice cake.

And I applaud your restraint with not beating your husband senseless :)

curlyfries Contributor

Ditto on the frozen bread ordeal. I actually had to get stitches in my thumb one Thanksgiving from trying to separate the slices. All I wanted was to make some breadcrumbs!

IrishHeart Veteran

I think the thing I miss the most is perogies!

I've made a perogi casserole which is mashed potatoes layered with cheese and lasagna noodles which is totally yummy...but not exactly the same...

I tried making my own perogies also...but the dough is pretty hard to work with to get them to stay together...:S

Good news! Simona posted a pierogis recipe in the recipe section! Check it out:

IrishHeart Veteran

You know, guys....I read through this whole thread (and felt a little bit sad, truth be told) but I also realized there is almost always a "plan B" for most of these foods and ways to make them taste good.

I have to say that I completely agree with meatball man's statement--he said he misses the convenience of eating whatever he wants, wherever he wants. That's what I miss, too. It is hard for a major foodie (as I once once)to give up tasting everything from the simple to the exotic with reckless abandon and then coming home to recreate it. I miss the spontaneity of just getting in the car and eating at cozy diners on back country roads while we are out taking photographs. We need a chain of "gluten free eateries" to spring up across the country and we'll all be golden. B)

That's it. That's what I miss the most. :(

IrishHeart Veteran

Just wondering....um, where is the original poster?

Chef??

Are you coming back? You have not been back since this first post.

These sweet people have poured their hearts out telling you what they miss.

Hello?? :blink:

Blackee Newbie

Hi Scott,

What's the best dish that you cook? Do you share any of your recipes?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Hi Scott,

What's the best dish that you cook? Do you share any of your recipes?

He hasn't been back since Oct. This forum doesn't allow advertising in posts so perhaps there is no point for him to come back and try to sell us a book or something else.

WinterSong Community Regular

Seitan. I can make/find gluten free versions of anything else. But seitan is basically pure gluten :(

IrishHeart Veteran

I think the chef has abandoned us.

He has not been back since this first post back in October '11

so we may be talking to the air at this point. :huh:

kareng Grand Master

I think the chef has abandoned us.

He has not been back since this first post back in October '11

so we may be talking to the air at this point. :huh:

That's OK. We can talk to each other. Maybe someone will see what we miss and have a recipe for us. Like the pirogies the other day.

IrishHeart Veteran

That's OK. We can talk to each other. Maybe someone will see what we miss and have a recipe for us. Like the pirogies the other day.

true dat, K! :)

Excellent point!

Kamma Explorer

I miss...homebaked bread with a thick slice of sharp cheddar cheese. This was my total comfort food/dish.

elizabethh Newbie

The first thing that comes to mind is pizza, I really loved bagel bites and seriously ate those like every day. Also beef jerky, I haven't been able to find a gluten free beef jerky, not sure if there are any or not but that's a bummer.

NewGlutenFreeChef Newbie

I started another tread with a similar question not knowing that this one existed click here to visit mine if you like though I will continue to check this thread to as it has a large number of ideas on it already as well.

livelifelarge24 Enthusiast

The biscuits from Lucille's BBQ

SammyJ17 Newbie

It has only been a few days for me...but the pizza "bones" and REAL bread already for sure!!! I just wish we actually had a selection of reasonably priced, GOOD food to choose from. :unsure:

ndw3363 Contributor

Pizza, pizza, pizza!! I was missing it before (good, greasy, NY style pizza), but now that I am mostly grain free/sugar free as well, I miss all things carbohydrate. Even the gluten-free alternatives!! Making mac n' cheese with quinoa pasta was one of my treat foods - now I can't have that. For awhile, I was only allowing myself carbs a couple times per week - but that's a slippery slope. Once you start to eat them, you can't stop. Why do our bodies crave things that aren't good for us? Why can't I be an asparagus addict or something? Hopefully once I get my latest issues in check, I can have a heart to heart with my willpower and allow myself the occasional carbohydrate treat.

thefreespirit Rookie

I'm veggie and gluten/wheat free. I really miss a nice veggie 'sausage' for a sandwich. :rolleyes:

dani nero Community Regular

Donuts

... donuts

Arabic sweets like Baklawa, Zeinab's Fingers, Knafe

Nutella

ravioli

Anything made with puff-pastry

I can make a pretty decent crusty pizza and amazing fried chicken or fish so those I don't miss!

I'm gonna cry lol :-)

dani nero Community Regular

Just wondering....um, where is the original poster?

Chef??

Are you coming back? You have not been back since this first post.

These sweet people have poured their hearts out telling you what they miss.

Hello?? :blink:

HAHAHAHAHAHA :-) We can still drool over this thread!

IrishHeart Veteran

HAHAHAHAHAHA :-) We can still drool over this thread!

I drooled, but I also cried. And I wondered why he asked us to spill our guts like that (just to be cruel? :o ) gee, I hope not!

But as Karen pointed out, by reading through it, I could point someone to a recipe on here that she could use because she missed pierogies.

And maybe others will see something they can link to as well.

So, it has a purpose after all. :)

love2travel Mentor

Donuts

... donuts

Nutella

ravioli

I can make a pretty decent crusty pizza and amazing fried chicken or fish so those I don't miss!

You can make Nutella:

Open Original Shared Link

I believe Nutella is gluten-free, anyway.

You can also make ravioli. A few of us here make our own pasta and love it! That way you can fill the ravioli with whatever you like. :P

Poppi Enthusiast

Donuts

... donuts

Nutella

ravioli

Nutella is most definitely gluten free! And there are many donut recipes out there.

IrishHeart Veteran

Why do our bodies crave things that aren't good for us? Why can't I be an asparagus addict or something?

I hear that. <_<

Since freshly made squishy french bread and ANY cheese are my top two favorite food groups--I find gluten-free and dairy free living to be the ultimate cosmic "screw you" :lol:

I mean, if only celiac were caused by something like fried livers or snails or fava beans for example, I would be the happiest celiac on the planet. :lol:

Archived