samie

When Do You Decorate For Christmas?

Rate this topic

We usually put up the tree and decorations on Thanksgiving day every year. This year was a little later the begining of december cause we got our tree late cause we had to get bills paid off. What about everyone else?

When the Christmas decorations go up varies widely, but usually not until about the 10th of Dec. But, I live to leave them up until New Year's Day, also.

we usually put the tree up on my birthday, the 10th. We have to leave it up for New Year's Eve because that's my husband's birthday. Yep we are screwed for cash in December. ;)

Tonight.

Used to put it up the weekend closest to the 12th - my Dad's birthday but my son doesn't see the rationale.

I still have to get the rest of the house decorated...that's tomorrow. I'm tired.

we usually put the tree up on my birthday, the 10th. We have to leave it up for New Year's Eve because that's my husband's birthday. Yep we are screwed for cash in December. ;)

I know about birthdays around crhistmas and money my hubby and son are both decmber birthdays and my other two kid birthdays are in november and january so i spend a lot this time of year.

Yep, so much fun paying to renew driver's licenses and car tabs. I just happen to know about 15 people who have birthdays on Dec. 30th too. :ph34r:

We put ours up the day after Thanksgiving, mostly because we had the time to do it.

Always after Sinterklaas has left the country :) It's a traditional Dutch childrens' holiday on december the 5th. Even though our family doesn't celebrate it we don't want to mix up Christmas and Sinterklaas. Some Dutch find it quite offensive to put a tree up before the Sint has left.

When the kids were home I decorated inside and out the day after Thanksgiving. We had to have a fake tree because of allergies so it was no problem keeping it up until the Ephipany. Growing up the decorations always stayed up until then cause it was the 12th day of Xmas and my Mom's birthday.

I don't know if I am going to put the tree up this year as the 'youngster' in my fur family might be quite destructive and once she starts Maggie I am sure will help. I brought the tree down yesterday and plan to have just lights on it for a week or so to see if it survives or if I find it laying on it's side one morning. I am going to set up this neat little mountain and train that I got recently today. It plays Xmas songs and the little train moves. I have lots of evergreens in my yard so I am going to do wreaths or swags today or early this week for the doors.

I love driving around and looking at all the lights. I don't put up many myself though cause I am a miser when it comes to electricity.

It will be today! I'm pretty excited, things have been kinda rough around here lately and our house could use a the cheering up it will bring! I'm with Raven, I hate to waste electricity so I don't do outside lights. I just love decorating the tree. My favorite part is going thru the ornaments and the memories associated with most of them! :)

We start the "holiday season" with my Bday near Thanksgiving, but wait to put the tree up until at least Dec. 5th-ish ( our anniversary.)

Dec 13 is hub's Bday and I like to see if I can S-t-R-E-T-C-H that tree until Jan. 6 (which is Armenian Christmas and the Feast of the Epiphany)

It's traditional. We still do stockings (even at our age! :P )

We have a train that encircles the tree and a village(we sound like little kids :lol: )

Dead needles galore by the 6th of Jan. :rolleyes::lol:

I stubbornly refuse to put up a fake tree. Can't help it.

All of our festivities seem to be crammed into those 6 weeks, but we love it!! usually involves a trip to NYC as well. It's where we were married and we love Santa and the Rockettes. Lots of champagne and good food.

The ornaments have sentimental value (some from my grandmother, parents, our childhood and our years together) and we enjoy bringing them out. :)

Merry Christmas, everyone!

I decided to finally get an artificial tree a few years ago. It is the kind you have to put the branches in, you know, one of those color coded things. But in order to make it look more like a real tree, I will mix the branches from adjoining layers. I even leave some out completely. That way there is room to put some ornaments on the inside. A lot of people come in and ask if it is a real tree.

I have to put the tree up at the shop by Black Friday, so mine has been up for a while. And because I spend most of my time here, I haven't put one up at home for the past few years. But this year I bought a little four footer and decorated it for the cat. She has never climbed a Christmas tree in her 13 years. She just sits under them with a big grin on her face. And the best part - when Christmas is over I can just put a big lawn and leaf bag over it and put it in the closet!

We started decorating the week of Thanksgiving.

In 2009 when my daughter was born the drs kept saying that even though she was due Dec. 28th that I would have her way earlier because of problems so we decorated for Christmas the week of Thanksgiving that year. She ended up being born on Dec. 8th and I like having decorations up before her birthday so I think we will probably always decorate end of November.

Not to mention the fact that my 5 year old started asking to decorate the day after Halloween:)

Our good citizens have taken their decorating outdoors this season, and are dressing up all those bl**dy orange cones as Christmas trees, Santas, poinsettias, -- makes driving around much more fun. :D

Today was decorating day. We usually leave decorations (including the tree) up until January 1.

Normally I do the day after Thanksgiving but... Husband gets really cranky about that. His family didn't decorate until right before and they didn't keep stuff up. So if he is around I have to wait till later.

This year we were fearful to put up our tree because of our new cats. I don't think the mom would cause a problem but we were afraid the baby would. So we bought a two foot tree with lights and decorations. We put that up today and also the stockings and some lights inside. The cats have been pretty good with them although the baby did bite a miniature light and try to take an ornament off of the tree.

We put up our outdoor lights yesterday. That seems to be when most of our neighbors did theirs too. We've had a bout of cold and windy weather so perhaps they did it later than they usually do too.

We are putting up far less decorations than usual. Daughter has been sick with the whooping cough. Dad has had some brain bleeds. So we've been spending time helping out with him and my mom. We just don't have the time to do much. Plus we worry about the baby cat messing with stuff.