This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Heavy Duty Standing Mixer

Blessedby3

Blessedby3 Rookie

I am just getting started on a gluten-free diet for my daughter. Right now I am using pre-packaged baking items, but would like to start making recipes from scratch. Is it necessary for me to have a heavy duty standing mixer? tia

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

love2travel Mentor

I am just getting started on a gluten-free diet for my daughter. Right now I am using pre-packaged baking items, but would like to start making recipes from scratch. Is it necessary for me to have a heavy duty standing mixer? tia

I've had my heavy duty professional series Kitchen Aid stand mixer for several years and use it at least three times a week (but then I do a lot of baking/cooking!). Sometimes I use it multiple times in one day. I haven't used pre-packaged items so cannot compare. However, some recipes I make would be very difficult without my KA like making a large batch of bread dough. Many gluten-free baking recipes specify using a stand mixer because the gums and flours/starches can create quite a large difficult mass to work with. You could get by without (people used to!) but gluten-free doughs just are tougher to work with. Many cakes, cookies and brownies can usually fairly easily be mixed by hand. It's the yeast products that are hard - I use mine for pizza crust, bread, focaccia, choux pastry - pretty much everything. So, I would not say it is completely necessary technically but I personally could not be without my KA. I absolutely love it. If my house was on fire, it would be one of the first things I would take!

Oh, and I use my KA to make pasta dough - I have the pasta attachments and they are slick and amazing. :)

burdee Enthusiast

I discovered 2 great allergy free baking books before the holiday season. So I decided to get a heavier standing mixer, rather than try to use my old (rather weak) hand-held mixer. I debated over getting a Kitchen Aid, because one baking book author recommended the 'paddle' attachment for mixing baked goods. However, the other author didn't. I don't have room on my kitchen counter to keep that heavy KA mixer (which I can't easily lift to store in my pantry). I also didn't need the option for all those KA attachments (blender, ice cream maker, pasta maker, meat grinder, food processor), because I either had those or wouldn't need them.

So I settled on a Sunbeam Mixmaster (with 3 kinds of beater blades). I've used that for making quick breads, yeast breads, whipped toppings and cookies without any problems. That mixer was half the price of the KA mixer. I could easily lift it and the glass bowls to store them in my pantry. Outside of holiday season, I only bake 1-2x a month, rather than 1x a week. So pantry storage was a plus for me.

Nevertheless, I'd recommend a stand mixer over handheld mixers, if you plan to make breads or heavy cooky dough.

Adalaide Mentor

I can not recommend a Kitchen Aid enough. Sure, you can live without one but I why would anyone want to? I am so exhausted and weak I can not use a hand mixer. After about 30 seconds I don't have the strength to hold my arm up. Every female in my family has one. No one has ever had to replace or repair one and most have had them for as long as I can remember. Sure they're a pretty significant initial investment but you'll likely never have to replace it. The numerous attachments are also great, I don't have the pasta one but am certainly considering it now.

There are certainly a lot of cheaper and perfectly decent other stand mixers. If you don't have a place to designate on a counter top, looking into a smaller, lighter one may be a better option.

Mizzo Enthusiast

IMO

If you are planning on doing breads, rolls etc.. you absolutely need one. If you are the occasional baker of cupcakes and muffins you can probably do without.

Blessedby3 Rookie

Thanks for all the input. I had bought the KA and just was feeling like it was more than I needed. I plan on baking bread 2-3 times per week, though and then some other items. I do have the counter space, it just "feels" crowded now. I still get short of breath when I think about how much I spent on it, even with the $50 off that Costco recently offered! I'm still open to any suggestions. (The nice thing is that Costco is sooo good about taking back items you feel you don't need or even want, even if they have been used.)

kareng Grand Master

Thanks for all the input. I had bought the KA and just was feeling like it was more than I needed. I plan on baking bread 2-3 times per week, though and then some other items. I do have the counter space, it just "feels" crowded now. I still get short of breath when I think about how much I spent on it, even with the $50 off that Costco recently offered! I'm still open to any suggestions. (The nice thing is that Costco is sooo good about taking back items you feel you don't need or even want, even if they have been used.)

They are worth the money. My first one lasted 23 years before we burned the motor out or something. It's still sitting downstairs waiting for an autopsy.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

love2travel Mentor

Believe me, you will have your KA for your lifetime and if you have children, for their lifetimes. They are that good. I truly cannot imagine not having mine. Mine stays out on the counter as there is a perfect spot for it. However, when I make pasta (i.e. tomorrow!) I must slide it out. I got mine from eBay years ago and it looks as pristine as it did when I got it. And I use it a LOT. They definitely are not cheap but if you enjoy baking it can become an incredible addition to your kitchen (and make your life easier).

I have tried many other brands (I am picky with my kitchen stuff) and always came back to the KA, partially for its superb reputation.

Does yours have the metal or plastic attachments? I have read that the Artisan ones and others have plastic and that the plastic can break. I am sure that is rare but it has happened. When looking into them I also read that some of the motors are made better than others, too.

In addition to bread you can make cinnamon buns, doughnuts, pasta dough (then roll it thinly) - all sorts of things and it may even encourage you to make things you have not yet tried because now you can!

Having said that, if you are having second thoughts and do not feel you would make use of it, then it may be best to return it. My purchasing motto is, "If you are hesitant do not do it" and I stick by it. If I have second thoughts, I do not do it. But then I am a very practical shopper. :P

sa1937 Community Regular

It took me exactly one loaf of gluten-free yeast bread to know I needed a stand mixer...and I did buy a KitchenAid Artisan. I use it quite often and feel it was a good decision.

I still use my handheld mixer for quick breads, etc. It all depends on what I'm making.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

I have one, a gift from a friend (she caters, hated it because its loud). I love the power but hate the weight.

I do need to buy two additional bowls now that I do gluten-free, because there's lots of whipping of eggs and mixing of batter and that makes lots of shuffling and bowl washing.

I don't have any attachments...I'm not a gadget girl.

Have thought of a pasta attachment but that means I'd have to master pasta. Sigh.

love2travel Mentor

I have one, a gift from a friend (she caters, hated it because its loud). I love the power but hate the weight.

I do need to buy two additional bowls now that I do gluten-free, because there's lots of whipping of eggs and mixing of batter and that makes lots of shuffling and bowl washing.

I don't have any attachments...I'm not a gadget girl.

Have thought of a pasta attachment but that means I'd have to master pasta. Sigh.

Oh, but you CAN make pasta! Honest. I posted such a great recipe on here somewhere that I make regularly now. Just think - you could be slurping up homemade spaghetti, linguine, fettucine, even lasagna sheets and ravioli and tortellini. Tomorrow I am making lemon parsley pasta. If only I could find some squid ink kicking around then I would make squid ink pasta.

Oh, but you CAN make pasta! Honest. I posted such a great recipe on here somewhere that I make regularly now. Just think - you could be slurping up homemade spaghetti, linguine, fettucine, even lasagna sheets and ravioli and tortellini. Tomorrow I am making lemon parsley pasta. If only I could find some squid ink kicking around then I would make squid ink pasta.

I have squid ink!

Not really, but of you come visit I'll find some :).

love2travel Mentor

I have squid ink!

Not really, but of you come visit I'll find some :).

:lol::lol::lol:

I'm sure you will. :P

OK. I'll come. How would Friday work for ya?

:lol::lol::lol:

I'm sure you will. :P

OK. I'll come. How would Friday work for ya?

Fabulous! I'll start shopping now, just send me the list and flight number!

love2travel Mentor

Fabulous! I'll start shopping now, just send me the list and flight number!

How much time and money do you have? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Flight AC8974 arriving at 3:30 AM so you'll have to come pick me up from the airport. Still want me to come?

How much time and money do you have? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Flight AC8974 arriving at 3:30 AM so you'll have to come pick me up from the airport. Still want me to come?

Yes! Oh, the thought of lovely new food on my kitchen!

I hope you don't murder small children that boycott your cooking. Because that's where I'm at right now.

lizard00 Enthusiast

Necessary? I guess not.... ok, maybe not. I made bread a couple of times with a hand mixer and fought with it, but I didn't know any better. Now I have a KA stand mixer with not 1 but TWO bowls. Not a waste of money at all! I don't really have counter space either, but I don't care. At this point, I am severely co-dependent. :ph34r:

sora Community Regular

:lol: Squid ink! I love your enthusiasm.

love2travel Mentor

:lol: Squid ink! I love your enthusiasm.

Thanks! I get rather passionate when discussing food. I've had fresh squid ink (and cuttlefish ink) pasta and risotto several times in Italy and Croatia and have fallen in love. Whenever I see it on a menu I order it. I did see a container of it at a specialty food store awhile ago and debated picking it up. Should have. It is messy to work with but tastes divine!

I've made pasta with fresh herbs between two sheets, rolled thinly through my pasta maker. You should see how gorgeous it is - whole sprigs of thyme, sage leaves, chervil - it is a glorious sight. I'm making lemon parsley pasta tonight. Same idea.

love2travel Mentor

Yes! Oh, the thought of lovely new food on my kitchen!

I hope you don't murder small children that boycott your cooking. Because that's where I'm at right now.

Only two but that was many years ago. I have reformed since then. :lol:

sora Community Regular

Thanks! I get rather passionate when discussing food. I've had fresh squid ink (and cuttlefish ink) pasta and risotto several times in Italy and Croatia and have fallen in love. Whenever I see it on a menu I order it. I did see a container of it at a specialty food store awhile ago and debated picking it up. Should have. It is messy to work with but tastes divine!

I've made pasta with fresh herbs between two sheets, rolled thinly through my pasta maker. You should see how gorgeous it is - whole sprigs of thyme, sage leaves, chervil - it is a glorious sight. I'm making lemon parsley pasta tonight. Same idea.

I have seen this done with phyllo, herbs layered between the sheets and then folded then baked and it is beautiful.

Kelleybean Enthusiast

I don't think it's necessary but a stand up mixer is definitely helpful. I have the Kitchen Aid too. At first I felt bad spending the money but I use it ALL the time - like someone else said, sometimes several times a day. I make cookie dough, pizza dough, muffins, etc. in under 5 minutes. Love it.

burdee Enthusiast

IMO

If you are planning on doing breads, rolls etc.. you absolutely need one. If you are the occasional baker of cupcakes and muffins you can probably do without.

I have done breads (pizza yeast dough, buckwheat/corn (mock rye) yeast bread, and many different quick breads) as well as heavy cooky doughs with my Sunbeam mixmaster (standing). I need the counter space for my other appliances. So I appreciate my lightweight mixer. My old Sunbeam hand mixer lasted 40 years and still works for light weight beating (whipped toppings, frostings).

However, I really don't want to get into making all our bread, because my husband drives right by the Ener-G foods factory/bakery on his way to work. We can pick up the best Ener-G makes (Seattle Brown flavors), rather than buy those awful white rice breads in stores. I'll still bake bread occasionally for a special treat, but I don't want my husband to expect homemade bread every week. <_<

Gemini Experienced
If my house was on fire, it would be one of the first things I would take!

:lol: I feel the same way. You cannot go wrong with the Kitchen Aid mixer. My husband uses it to make gluten-free bread with the dough hook and he's now a convert. If you're doing any "from scratch" cooking, it's a must!

love2travel Mentor

:lol: I feel the same way. You cannot go wrong with the Kitchen Aid mixer. My husband uses it to make gluten-free bread with the dough hook and he's now a convert. If you're doing any "from scratch" cooking, it's a must!

That is awesome about your husband's bread-making skills and conversion!

So far I have used my KA every single day this week, sometimes a few times a day. I made another batch of baguettes to take with me as I leave Sunday for two weeks to visit my family. It is necessary to have something that resembles bread!! :lol:

Back to the KA - it has been one of my most valuable and treasured purchases I have ever made. This sounds silly but it is almost my friend, just like my books. :P

Archived