This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Oats. Don't Think It's Good News.

pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

So made oatmeal cookies last night with that big bag of BRM oats I bought a loooong time ago. Trying to clean out the freezer...

Anyway, they gave me gas last night (no biggie, carbs do that). But this morning I just feel gross and bloated.

This may explain my problem with oat oil in cosmetics. I haven't tried oats on a long time but I used to be able to eat them newly gluten-free.

Sigh. Well, I don't feel glutened just gross. I guess that's better?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

squirmingitch Veteran

Maybe a little more time & you can have oats w/o problems. Here's hoping.

mamaw Community Regular

Oats is a problem for many. BRM is a problem for me & others. I didn't even think of oats for many years after going gluten-free, mainly because they were CC.. But I have used Lara's oats& Oats from Wyoming with no problem...Both gluten-free...But to this day I can only eat 1/2cup maybe twice a week & that's it...

I think the rule for oats is no oats for at least two years & then very little... So this week I had oatmeal cookies so no breakfast oats...

hth

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

Stats say that about 10% of celiacs can't eat oats, even gluten free ones. Is there anything else it could have been?

Stats say that about 10% of celiacs can't eat oats, even gluten free ones. Is there anything else it could have been?

No. Didn't do anything else yesterday. Cooked every meal with fresh meat and veggies...nothing I haven't eaten a million times.

Slight chance the weather may be part of the yuck (windy) and I didn't take an allergy pill last night so I could test the oats - but it's more than just yuck - its a very distinct feeling in my stomach (allergies don't do that to me).

And the gas. Ick.

I'm taking an allergy pill. Screw this.

Oats is a problem for many. BRM is a problem for me & others. I didn't even think of oats for many years after going gluten-free, mainly because they were CC.. But I have used Lara's oats& Oats from Wyoming with no problem...Both gluten-free...But to this day I can only eat 1/2cup maybe twice a week & that's it...

I think the rule for oats is no oats for at least two years & then very little... So this week I had oatmeal cookies so no breakfast oats...

hth

I bought them when I first went gluten-free. Put them up til now (I'm right at one year). They're just occupying space do I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Yuck.

There was 1 1/2 c in the whole recipe and half of them are left and my son ate half of what's gone...

They were even low sugar (I used honey and date sugar).

saintmaybe Collaborator

I had gluten free oatmeal cookies two days ago, sold in the local market,and wow. Terrible idea. Not only did I get terrible digestive glutened symptoms, I went completely bonkers. Anxiety through the roof. Anger and irritation the same. Marked aggressive impulses. That was not a good idea. So I know where you're coming from. <_<

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

I had gluten free oatmeal cookies two days ago, sold in the local market,and wow. Terrible idea. Not only did I get terrible digestive glutened symptoms, I went completely bonkers. Anxiety through the roof. Anger and irritation the same. Marked aggressive impulses. That was not a good idea. So I know where you're coming from. <_<

Wow. Now you know what to eat if you ever want to join Fight Club.

I took an allergy pill and passed out for 3 hours (oops). Feel better (of course) but running late on my day....crap.

dani nero Community Regular

That's not good :-/ I really hope it's the allergy and not the oats, because it would be a shame to cross them off your menu. Are you going to try them again soon?

So many people are having their allergies act up with this painful pollen season.

I think I'm having a reaction to cashews as well.. I get really edgy whenever I have some. Awful anxiety and really bad irritability. I think they might have been causing most of my problems but I'm not sure.

That's not good :-/ I really hope it's the allergy and not the oats, because it would be a shame to cross them off your menu. Are you going to try them again soon?

So many people are having their allergies act up with this painful pollen season.

I think I'm having a reaction to cashews as well.. I get really edgy whenever I have some. Awful anxiety and really bad irritability. I think they might have been causing most of my problems but I'm not sure.

Oh, that's awful about the cashews since they are low sal.

We have wind, super dry weather, and a fire south of us. Air quality sucks big lemons today. Even the dog is depressed.

I tried one cookie a few minutes ago and didn't bloat up. Maybe it's a volume thing? Still makes me wonder...,the antihistimine may be suppressing it, too.

dani nero Community Regular

Oh, that's awful about the cashews since they are low sal.

We have wind, super dry weather, and a fire south of us. Air quality sucks big lemons today. Even the dog is depressed.

I tried one cookie a few minutes ago and didn't bloat up. Maybe it's a volume thing? Still makes me wonder...,the antihistimine may be suppressing it, too.

Perhaps try them on an empty stomach first thing in the morning? Just a thought. What else is in them?

Maybe it's the same thing as when I was eating the sweet salsa chicken alone, which bloated me, but not when I added the unsweet pealed pears to the mix?

ciamarie Rookie

Have you had the other ingredients before with no problem? (i.e. date sugar and honey). Just to be sure, you could try a few grains of oatmeal by themselves, not in the cookie?

Have you had the other ingredients before with no problem? (i.e. date sugar and honey). Just to be sure, you could try a few grains of oatmeal by themselves, not in the cookie?

Yep. Had it all, lots of times.

Ove been eating a few all day and no worse reaction - but I took the antihistimine and that generally really helps. Even after a glutening.

I'll try oats again in a month or so and see what happens. Last time I had a headache but that could have been anything at that point.

nursenation2 Rookie

I just had to give up oats too. I may try again in a few months but it wasn't such a hugh deal for me. I hate oatmeal (as in breakfast) and don't eat a lot of sweets. But scratching anything off the safe list feels like a loss. Sorry you are having trouble.

I just had to give up oats too. I may try again in a few months but it wasn't such a hugh deal for me. I hate oatmeal (as in breakfast) and don't eat a lot of sweets. But scratching anything off the safe list feels like a loss. Sorry you are having trouble.

It really isn't a big deal to me, other than something to avoid. I don't like oatmeal, either. I can live without oats easily.

Like you said, it's just another thing to avoid, which is a PITA.

Archived