This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

La Choy Soy Sauce

knvb78

knvb78 Apprentice

Hi,

I was wondering if La Choy Soy sauce was gluten-free. I think it is. I think I posted this question a few weeks ago but not sure. If anybody knows, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jnkmnky Collaborator

Open Original Shared Link

It's gluten free and apparently, not worthy of being called soy sauce.

Guest nini

LOL!

yes it's Gluten Free... but it isn't the best tasting soy sauce around... BUT... it's better than nothing.

redheadheather Explorer

What is one of the better gluten-free soy sauces out there then?

Thanks!

bluelotus Contributor

San-J makes a good wheat free tamari (soy sauce). Does anyone know about Bali Spice brand? Just posted this question as a new topic.

nettiebeads Apprentice

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From what I can figure out, we either have to make do with the really cheap imitation stuff where there's just enough soy to call it soy sauce. The rest is carmel coloring and other things so it can be produced cheaply (but gluten-free) or go for the true soy sauce which is just soy cooked forever to thicken up without wheat (but terribly expensive). Sigh.

tarnalberry Community Regular

I'm a fan of San-J's Wheat Free Tamari. Not too pricey (though not cheap), and tastes WAAAAY better than La Choy's.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

glutenkiddies Newbie

Kroger makes a gluten free one, surprisingly. If you have a Kroger nearby, look in the international foods section, and in there, look around the chinese or thai section. It's regular Kroger brand, and it has no gluten or wheat whatsoever. Doesn't taste too bad either :lol:

It is also only like $2.00 per large bottle... compared to the 7 of Tamari.

pixiegirl Enthusiast

I use San-J too and like it. For some reason if I'm forced to eat La Choy I get sick every single time, they say its gluten-free but it certainly does a number on me.

Susan

(maybe I'm sensitive to just really bad tasting food)

lovegrov Collaborator
From what I can figure out, we either have to make do with the really cheap imitation stuff where there's just enough soy to call it soy sauce.  The rest is carmel coloring and other things so it can be produced cheaply (but gluten-free) or go for the true soy sauce which is just soy cooked forever to thicken up without wheat (but terribly expensive). Sigh.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When my family and I went to eat at a Japanese steak house I had pre-arranged with the owner to bring my own soy sauce. When I handed the San-J gluten-free tamari to the chef he was impressed. "This is very good stuff."

richard

skbird Contributor

If you want to try something that is NOT LaChoy but also is not fermented (I can't have fermented - it uses aspergillus mold and makes me sick - allergy) then a great choice is Braggs Liquid Aminos. I have gotten funny looks in restaurants and from my brother's fiancée (she is Chinese and a self-admitted soy sauce snob) but even the fiancée has admitted that Braggs is quite good. It is rich in flavor and not identical to soy sauce but it tastes great. I take it with me to use at sushi bars, also a great marinade.

Stephanie

bluelotus Contributor
If you want to try something that is NOT LaChoy but also is not fermented (I can't have fermented - it uses aspergillus mold and makes me sick - allergy) then a great choice is Braggs Liquid Aminos. I have gotten funny looks in restaurants and from my brother's fiancée (she is Chinese and a self-admitted soy sauce snob) but even the fiancée has admitted that Braggs is quite good. It is rich in flavor and not identical to soy sauce but it tastes great. I take it with me to use at sushi bars, also a great marinade.

Stephanie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've never seen Bragg's....are you in the US? Maybe I will try to find it online.

Kasey'sMom Enthusiast

bobcatgirl,

I don't do well with fermented products and I use the liquid aminos as well. A couple of my friends say it tastes like beef bullion but I like it. :) Bragg's make apple cider vinegar that I love.

Here's the website:

bluelotus Contributor

Just for anyone's fyi - I mentioned Bali Spice above. I think this brand of soy sauce made me sick (though the ingrediants didn't sound any alarms), so I called them and could not get a straight answer out of them. They said that they didn't have that information and the only people that did were in Indonesia. I also had this topic going in the Ingrediants forum, so, sorry for being redundant....just don't want anyone else's tummy to get upset for no good reason.

jenvan Collaborator

I echo on Bragg's--I use it too. And take it with me places too :)

BabySnooks Rookie
Hi,

I was wondering if La Choy Soy sauce was gluten-free.  I think it is.  I think I posted this question a few weeks ago but not sure. If anybody knows, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes it is.

skbird Contributor
bobcatgirl,

I don't do well with fermented products and I use the liquid aminos as well. A couple of my friends say it tastes like beef bullion but I like it.  :)  Bragg's make apple cider vinegar that I love.

Here's the website:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Kasey's Mom - I wonder if you don't do well with fermented products because of the mold issue? You wrote last week that your daughter reacts to citric acid, but didn't realize it was a mold-based product. Fermented tamari and soy (also miso and tofu) all contain aspergillus, the mold that makes citric acid, though different strains (a. orzae I think, as opposed to a. niger).

Anyway, that is why I use Braggs - none of that stuff!!!

Stephanie

nettiebeads Apprentice
Kroger makes a gluten free one, surprisingly. If you have a Kroger nearby, look in the international foods section, and in there, look around the chinese or thai section. It's regular Kroger brand, and it has no gluten or wheat whatsoever. Doesn't taste too bad either  :lol:

It is also only like $2.00 per large bottle... compared to the 7 of Tamari.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow!! I never thought to look there! It's funny how sometimes the name brand will be okay and the local brands not, and vice versa. Anyhow, thanks for the tip!

• 2 years later...
Danny Newbie

all of these entries are from 2005 for La Choy Soy Sauce is there new information

MNBeth Explorer

La Choy is still gluten free, and it still doesn't taste good. ;) San-J Wheat-Free Tamari and Bragg Liquid Aminos are still, imo, better options. I don't know about any others mentioned.

Hope that helps!

all of these entries are from 2005 for La Choy Soy Sauce is there new information
LLatham Apprentice

It's really funny, but LaChoy is the only soy sauce I loved my whole life!

I've never gotten an answer on if there is a difference between the Lite(green) and the regular(red), so since going gluten-free I've just stuck to the regular.

larry mac Enthusiast

There are many threads on gluten-free soy sauce in the forum archives. Common topics like this are constantly repeated every few months as new Celiacs join the forum. I would highly recommend to do a search on soy sauce. If you don't, you'll miss out on some good posts. Not all of the more experienced Celiacs are on here all the time, or may not have the time to repost something for the 20th time. :) Also, tastes are highly personal. Not everyone likes the same things. So, what taste great to me may be terrible to you and vice versa. Many times it's what you grew up with or what your used to.

Here's one of my faves:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

May I suggest Eden Organic Tamari Soy Sauce, it's quite tasty! I've always been pretty particular about soy sauce, Kikkomans my brand (ex). The few unfortunate times I got cheap and tried something such as Kroger brand, I quickly returned it for a refund.

Is the Edens gluten-free? You tell me. Here's the ingredients:

~ water

~ organic soybeans

~ sea salt

~ alcohol (to preserve freshness)

~ Koji

Organic Tamari

"Eden Tamari is the type of soy sauce that is characterized as Wheat Free. It's fermented more quickly than traditional tamari. Koji inoculated soybeans are aged for six months in this accelerated brewing process. Tamari was originally the by-product of miso making. Today it is mash brewed. Tamari imparts a stronger more pronounced flavor like that of miso. Compare it to some Eden Shoyu, is our request."

"Meticulous tracking and audited records guarantee the purity of this food from the farm to your table."

Eden Foods Inc. Clinton, Michigan.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, so there you go. It's a little more than some. I think I got it at Central Market or Whole Foods for about $4. But really, that's nothing compared to many other gluten-free products, and it last a long time. I had no idea what Koji, Miso, Shoyu, or Tamari were, but the research I've done didn't turn up any gluten.

best regards, lm

larry mac Enthusiast

Here's another one:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I'm always recommending the Eden Organic Tamari Soy Sauce, I decided to pick up the La Choy Soy Sauce and the San-J Organic Tamari Soy Sauce for a little taste-off. Battle of the gluten-free soy sauces.

First off, the La Choy is much cheaper than the others. About $1.50 compared to about $3.5 for the San-J and $4 for the Eden. Depending on stores of course.

Well, the price difference really shows. The La Choy has a dull, flat, I'd say rather unpleasant nose. By comparisan, both the San-J and the Eden have bright, freshly brewed, aromatic fragrances. The San-J has an additional, stronger, almost fish like component to it's odor. Not an offputting smell, just a little different.

The La Choy has a softer, more muted flavor. Not a bad flavor, not a very good flavor either. Less salty aftertaste, which unfortunately allows for the dull flavor to be the lasting impression.

Both the others have much stronger flavors. There's an initial blast of fermented soy, followed by a big salty bite. For the life of me I can't tell much difference between the two. They're both very tasty, with excellent qualities.

If you like a milder, less fermented soy sauce, or don't want to pay more than a buck fifty, go for the La Choy. It's comparable in quality and price to a store brand such as Kroger etc.

I give Eden the slight edge over San-J, only by a nose. The Eden has a more agreeable fragrance. Tastewise, they both shine.

If you prefer, nay demand, a full bodied, aromatic soy sauce, and insist on only the highest quality, comparable to the best, Kikkoman, then settle for nothing less than Eden or San-J , price be damned.

best regards, lm

• 1 year later...
Leah J Newbie
I've never seen Bragg's....are you in the US? Maybe I will try to find it online.

You can usually buy Braggs in the health food section. Not where you usually buy soy sauce

Archived