This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

The Mice Are Making Me Nuts!

BlessedMommy

BlessedMommy Rising Star

We've tried the normal stuff, like snap traps and putting out new trays of poison under the house 1-2 times a year and we now have an outdoor kitty cat as well. What else can we do?

We live in a mobile home right next to a cornfield in a heavily wooded area and let's just say that using the normal means to try to control the mice population makes me feel like I'm trying to put out a house fire with a cup of water. LOL!

I think that maybe I need to set up some elaborate predator system or something. Has anybody tried making nesting boxes for hawks and owls to encourage them to come eat your mice?

Anything else that people have used with success?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Adalaide Mentor

We tried snap traps and the mouse kept stealing the bait! I don't know if that is the problem you're having, but I solved it. Quite brilliantly if I do say so myself. I got into my husband's Lucky Charms (or any cereal with holes in the middle like Cheerios or Chex would do) and used thread and tied those suckers to the traps with thread. Then, when the stupid mouse came up and tugged on the cereal it wouldn't come off and his stupid face was still in the trap and BLAM! dead mouse. HAHAHAHA!!!! I win! My husband got rid of the mouse. I don't deal with that crap. :ph34r:

Out on the farm I used to go out and shoot any I saw in the fields with a 22. Loads of fun! And all that practice has given me dead aim. ^_^

LauraTX Rising Star

There are things you can buy that plug into an outlet that make an ultrasonic sound that mice and rodents can't stand.  We used to have a big problem with field mice coming in the garage, and since I put those in, I haven't seen one or their droppings.  Some also work for bugs, too.  In my childhood home we had every kind of pest problem and they would keep everything out.

IrishHeart Veteran

A few more cats. ^_^

(although Laura's idea is great, we had no luck with one of those things. Not sure why) 

We lived in the remote countryside for many years. We never had a mouse problem except for in the garage. They like to build nests in the engine area of the cars in winter.  

Traps work somewhat, but the more kitties on patrol--less mice. Good luck.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I just heard this podcast: Open Original Shared Link

He talks about building perches for hawks to control rodents and said that it work very well.  I'm thinking about looking into that myself.  If you try, let me know if it works.

CajunChic Explorer

I agree with Irish! I live next to a sugarcane field and when it's harvest time, they come a'runnin: (

Having cats is the only thing that worked for us. I can't have one inside because of my daughter's allergy to them. But if you can put one inside, the smell of them will have the mice looking for a way out!

IrishHeart Veteran

One night, we saw one skittle across the living room floor...we figured out he got in during the brief period we had a basement window open to throw wood down the chute for the wood stoves. .

So, I have him cornered under a small jelly cupboard. I've got the flashlight on him and  I see he's terrified.... Field mice have big eyes....they look like they have a thyroid issue. lol So, I'm, talking to this poor fellow and saying, I can take you right outside, sweets... if you just get in my hand... Hubs is laughing at me. Meanwhile, the cat and the hubs---are looking at him too. I wish I had an overhead shot of this scene for you all...laying prostrate on the floor, all of us....staring at this thing no bigger than a deck of cards.

I put Bella in the bedroom...and I tried to get this little guy to cooperate for an  hour. He darts out, runs right across the hubs' back--- which makes him go all girly on me --and he's ready to just blast the thing with

the pellet gun, But no, I insist I am getting this guy out --as I have done for chipmunks, birds, lizards  bats...--.finally, it's really late, the fires are going out and the cat's  going bonkers..he is under the sofa now...and there's no way to get him.... :unsure:  I have to turn in...I had to leave his fate to the bad man ....

The next day, he tells me he captured him and put him outside, but I know he was lying to make me feel better. I was mad at him for shooting that poor thing.

I put a sign up on the door: Don't come inside! The big guy that lives here will kill you.  

Interestingly enough. we never had a single visitor or peddler  in the last year we lived there...hmmm

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

BlessedMommy Rising Star

I'll have to talk to DH about getting more cats.

I'm sure a lot of our problem is the fact that we live in a trailer. We have friends who live 3 miles from us who NEVER get mice in their house. They built their house so tightly built that the only way for mice to get in is if the front door got left open.  :P

We tried plugging visible holes with spray foam to keep mice out and that was a lost cause. 

BlessedMommy Rising Star

On the subject of more cats, does anybody know what the cheapest gluten free cat food is? :) 

IrishHeart Veteran

A friend just told me her home remedy...spray peppermint oil around the area...apparently, the mice hate it.

Just offering, can't verify.

If nothing else, it will smell mice  er,   nice.

IrishHeart Veteran

On the subject of more cats, does anybody know what the cheapest gluten free cat food is? :)

there is no "cheap" G F cat food, hon. Honest. We get Merrick for our cat. It's not cheap.  I won't lie.

But I can't see giving a cat or dog any wheat, corn or rice fillers in their food. or this new thing with "gravy and cheese.." Not really a "gluten issue" more of a health issue for the animal. Any vet I have asked...agrees completely. They do not need all that junk.

BlessedMommy Rising Star

I've used Rachel Ray Nutrish catfood. It is clearly labelled as free from wheat. Not sure about the other stuff though, since it has "natural flavors." It is also not "grain free" as it has rice. I think that if I go to a grain free brand, I will buy the large bag and it should make it more economical.

I will also measure portions carefully so that the racoons don't steal it.  :ph34r:

Archived