This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Flat Foot

elisabet

elisabet Contributor

Hello,all

I wondered if any one here has flat foot?

thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VydorScope Proficient

How would you know?

elisabet Contributor
How would you know?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I talked to a ND,about my son,he asked a lot of questions,most of the answers were YEs!!!

It was amasing.one of the questions was about flat foot.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

I have flat feet. Completely flat...no arch whatsover. My friend always tell me I can never be in the service because they won't accept me due to having flat feet. :blink:

tarnalberry Community Regular

I have slightly lower arches, nothing you'd call flat, but I do pronate (I role inwards), and have bunions (probably causally related). I don't know that it's related to celiac, however, as flat-footedness, particularly milder forms isn't uncommon.

jerseyangel Proficient

I also have completely flat feet. I didn't know there was a connection--interesting.

Felidae Enthusiast

I have flat feet.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nettiebeads Apprentice
Hello,all

I wondered if any one here has flat foot?

thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My left one has always been flat. But when I was born they thought I might be club footed. Had to wear braces for my ankles when I was two so I'd be able to walk. Then I had to wear cookies in the arches of my orthopedic looking shoes when I was in grade school. My right arch recovered, but my left arch was always flat. But I developed celiac disease when I was in my mid-30's. Two years ago my left arch fell (but it was flat, so I don't see how it could have fallen) and was painful, even wearing the orthotics. Until I finally went totally 100% gluten-free. (had been eating cereal with malt and drinking malt beverages) The pain has subsided and my foot is feeling stronger. I have read where conective tissue issues and celiac disease combined were not uncommon.

Lisa Mentor

I have always been flat footed. When I was young, in Junior high I had to wear saddle shoes when they were not "cool" and nasty orthopedic shoes. Any anyone who would laugh at me, I would kick the crap out at then. I had to wear "cookies" in my shoes (false arches, that would change my bones to make better arches. ) Didn't work. But I did use my shoes as a deadly weapon. (I'll never forget Sally Cameron, I'd love to meet her again) <_<

Now, I have lost alot of my foot padding along with my bottom padding. It's a celiac disease thing. When I work, I get leg aches because of the loss of foot padding. I try to wear padded Tennis shoes when I can, not fashionable, but confortable. I am now in a 9 1/2 tripple A. Can't find them anywhere, except very expensive Italian shoes.....so no go there.

nogluten- Newbie

I used to not have them, but in the past two years my arches fell. Orthotics really help this, btw.

PicturePerfect Explorer

My feet are flat (wow, try saying that 5 times fast :P ). They have a tiny arch, though.

Also, my hips turn in, so when I walk my feet go inward- causes a lot of pain :( . The only way to get rid of it is to have surgery, but I am just going to stick with othotics for now. :D

nettiebeads Apprentice
I have always been flat footed.  When I was young, in Junior high I had to wear saddle shoes when they were not "cool" and nasty orthopedic shoes.  Any anyone who would laugh at me, I would kick the crap out at then.  I had to wear "cookies" in my shoes (false arches, that would change my bones to make better arches. ) Didn't work.  But I did use my shoes as a deadly weapon. (I'll never forget Sally Cameron, I'd love to meet her again) <_<

Now, I  have lost alot of my foot padding along with my bottom padding.  It's a celiac disease thing.  When I work, I get leg aches because of the loss of foot padding.  I try to wear padded Tennis shoes when I can, not fashionable, but confortable.  I am now in a 9 1/2 tripple A.  Can't find them anywhere, except very expensive Italian shoes.....so no go there.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cool. I'm 9 1/2 AA so I can really really sympathize. Have you tried Massey shoes (catalogue) or Auditions (catalogue) or gone to qboutlet.com ? Or go directly to NewBalance. I swear by them when it comes to athletic shoes.

julie5914 Contributor

Sorry to ruin your statistics here, but I have ridculously high arches. So high it's hard to find shoes with uppers that will fit it and enough of an arch support to reach my arch.

FaithInScienceToo Contributor

Interesting question -

I was diagnosed with 'a tarsal coalition' in both feet - confirmed via x-rays.

This means that I was born without a joint between two tarsal bones, and the bones have since fused together, since I didn't get it diagnosed/treated in childhood.

It is gentic (so I have had to tell my siblings to look for it in their kids, just like celiac disease), and the occurance is over 1% (if I recall correctly).

ALSO....I used to think I had high-arches, and have even been told by others that I 'have dancers feet,' but a search on the Net said that tarsal coalition is what was called 'flat foot' ...and was a diagnosis for getting out of the draft.

So...yes, I have 'flat feet,' but to look at them you'd never know it...

I only learned of it after spraining one foot, and having residual pain in it, which sent me to a podiatrist- I now wear custom-orthotics in my 'sneakers'...they make a world of difference!

Gina

Eeyorific Rookie

I have always had problems with my tendons in my feet, but not flat footed.

My daughter isn't necessarily flat footed, her feet cave inward, so she wears arch support pads in her shoes (has for last 3 years) I had no idea there could be a link.

My 3 yr old son doesn't have any feet problems as of yet. We caught his Celiac right away.. if that makes any difference. Daughter and I are just going gluten-free starting this monday.. so we have many different symptoms.

God Bless,

Kristie

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Just curious....what does flat feet have to do with Celiac? Did the ND explain? Also why would flat feet keep someone from getting drafted? I don't think my extremely flat feet have ever done anything...except look flat. :unsure:

nettiebeads Apprentice
I have always had problems with my tendons in my feet, but not flat footed.

My daughter isn't necessarily flat footed, her feet cave inward, so she wears arch support pads in her shoes (has for last 3 years) I had no idea there could be a link.

My 3 yr old son doesn't have any feet problems as of yet. We caught his Celiac right away.. if that makes any difference. Daughter and I are just going gluten-free starting this monday.. so we have many different symptoms.

God Bless,

Kristie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It might, and I sure hope it does. The malabsorption part of celiac disease affects the body in so many areas and in so many different ways - the effects seem to be tied to the unique physiology in each person, along with how much damage done to the intestines and how long the malabsorption has occured. Since going absolutely 100% gluten-free, my foot feels better, but it never was exactly perfect to begin with. Good luck to you and your children with the gluten-free diet.

• 11 years later...
Robbiemitchell Newbie
On 11/5/2005 at 1:43 PM, FaithInScienceToo said:

Interesting question -

I was diagnosed with 'a tarsal coalition' in both feet - confirmed via x-rays.

This means that I was born without a joint between two tarsal bones, and the bones have since fused together, since I didn't get it diagnosed/treated in childhood.

It is gentic (so I have had to tell my siblings to look for it in their kids, just like celiac disease), and the occurance is over 1% (if I recall correctly).

ALSO....I used to think I had high-arches, and have even been told by others that I 'have dancers feet,' but a search on the Net said that tarsal coalition is what was called 'flat foot' ...and was a diagnosis for getting out of the draft.

So...yes, I have 'flat feet,' but to look at them you'd never know it...

I only learned of it after spraining one foot, and having residual pain in it, which sent me to a podiatrist- I now wear custom-orthotics in my 'sneakers'...they make a world of difference!

Gina

I also have tarsal coalition and have recently been diagnosed with celiac disease is it possible for these two to be connected? I also have very very flat feet as in NO ARCH AT ALL! My orthopedic is wanting to do the fusion on both feet(at different times)! 

Edited by Robbiemitchell
  • 3 years later...
Mikesaysdamuceliacsdisease Newbie

Hey y’all I’m about 15 years late to this, but my whole life I’ve been known as duck feet. My feet actually suction to every non carpet surface making kissing noises or armpit air noises. I was shocked to find out I had celiacs disease, have ADHD, and this morning I became curious to see if flat feet had any correlation as well. This is craziness!
       I just thought my body hated all food, and heavy exercise. I knew my feet hated running so I switched to cycling early. In fact I almost achieved my dreams of becoming a professional cyclist, but I let this disease get the best of me.                              
        It just would not allow me to physically do what they can no matter how many David Goggins things I watched to pump myself up. I’m the size 17 feet knees pointed inward dude with black & blue socks.56568C48-9F83-4263-B012-EE922483534D.webp.64c003417319d74a92ae629273b70912.webp                                                    
      Anyways my friends, and I try to do a 500 mile 6 day ride each year to raise awareness for diseases. We have tons of sponsors as well! This year because I was diagnosed with celiac disease. They decided to do it for celiac disease. It’s in November riding round trip to Vegas & back. If anyone is feeling well enough to join we’d welcome you!               
       As for the flat feet thing. I finally went to the GOOD FEET store on 02/27/2021, and they hooked me up with some orthotics that work crazy well! It’s $1370 though if your feet are just like mine, but you’re hooked up for 3 years. So free arch & sole replacements during that time.

Scott Adams Grand Master

Welcome to the forum! We do have an event calendar here, so please feel free to enter this event:

https://www.celiac.com/calendar/

Now that you've discovered you have celiac disease and have, I assume, treated it, perhaps it will revive your pro-cycling career?

There seems to be no reason why not, for example tennis stars like Djokovic have gone gluten-free and he now claims that he's played the best tennis of his life afterwards. Here are articles on this:

https://www.celiac.com/search/?q=Djokovic&quick=1&type=cms_records2&search_in=titles