Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

bartfull

It's Not Insomnia

Rate this topic

All my life I had terrible insomnia. After I went gluten-free I started sleeping well - too well. It seemed I could sleep for ten to twelve hours a night, straight through.

Well, lately I try to go to bed at my usual 8PM, but I can't sleep! I end up getting back up and often stay up 'til ten or eleven. I then get up at 5:30 or 6.

It just dawned on me that it is NOT a return of the insomnia. It is a return to good health! For the longest time I couldn't find vitamins that were gluten-free, corn-free, and soy-free. Now that I finally found some I think my vitamin deficiencies are gone and the reason I'm not tired at 8PM anymore is that I actually have some energy again!

Just thought I'd share that. :)

Hi Bartfull,

That is great news!

This sounds just like me. Before I went gluten free, I had terrible insomnia and bad dreams when I would sleep. I would also often wake up in the middle of the night sweating and gasping for breath with my heart racing. I'm so glad that is over!

Now I sleep like a baby and could easily sleep for 10-12 hours a night. I love it, but my schedule doesn't :-). It's good to know that at some point I might not need so much sleep. Can I ask what supplements and brand you are taking that helped with your deficiencies and energy?I'm always curious to know what is working for others.

It is so weird to find normal after living the other way for some long.

I've struggled with severe anxiety and finally, my brain is relatively calm most of the time. That is pretty shocking and weird to me after being stressed and worried nearly all the time!

OP, so glad that your sleeping is improving and that you feel healthier. That is wonderful! :)

Shopko Naturals are the supplements I take. "Contain no sugar, salt, yeast, wheat, gluten, corn, soy, artificial colors or flavors". They are cheap too. Most are $7.99 or less and they frequently have a buy one get one free special. They don't have a multi so I am taking 3,000 mcg of B12, 5,000 mcg of biotin, 4,000 iu of D3, 1,000 mcg of C, 1,000 mg of calcium, 500mg of magnesium, 5 mg of zinc, and I also get my probiotics there - 500 million L. acidophilus LA14, L. bulgaricus 64.

Good for you, honey!! whoohooo!.

As you know, I, too had serious insomnia for most of my adult life and during the 3 years before DX, when I was quite ill, I barely slept more than a few hours at a time. (pain and ramped up everything kept me from being able to rest very much) I could never lay down and

take a nap like some can do--just too jumpy and in pain--even though I was exhausted beyond belief.. It was awful.

Never had a regular sleep pattern or a restful night's sleep. Sleep study said I never reached REM sleep. duh. I told them that--why did I need a study done?  :huh:

Now, I get sleepy at a regular time (between 10:30 - 11pm )and I can sleep nearly 7 hours . I may awaken, but at least now, I can go back to sleep most of the time. I wake up rested and I never  feel exhausted

I am so happy for you!!!.

This is the "new normal".

Shopko Naturals are the supplements I take. "Contain no sugar, salt, yeast, wheat, gluten, corn, soy, artificial colors or flavors". They are cheap too. Most are $7.99 or less and they frequently have a buy one get one free special. They don't have a multi so I am taking 3,000 mcg of B12, 5,000 mcg of biotin, 4,000 iu of D3, 1,000 mcg of C, 1,000 mg of calcium, 500mg of magnesium, 5 mg of zinc, and I also get my probiotics there - 500 million L. acidophilus LA14, L. bulgaricus 64.

Thank you for sharing this! I am definitely going to look in to these.