CajunChic

Stadium Nachos..glutened?

Rate this topic

I became incredibly weak while at a WWE event with the kiddos. I sent my hubs on a snack mission and he found a stand that sold only nachos. So being desperate, I told him to buy them for me. 2 days later and I'm having symptoms. I know I shouldn't have, but thought the cheese and chips were safe. Does stadium cheese usually contain flour? I know it was a stupid move.. : /

Not all corn tortilla chips are gluten free. And the dairy could be causing you issues. That was a gamble. Did it say gluten free anywhere at the stand? Did your hubs ask the vendor if it was gluten free?

I don't believe he did, we both just took a chance. I've never seen corn chips that had gluten, so I assumed I was clear there. I have successfully added small amounts of dairy back, so I thought I was good there, too. Poor judgement, there.

The amount of dairy could have been too much... I can't eat as much as I used to. But not all tortilla chips are gluten free. Unfortunately sounds like you lost on that gamble. Hope you feel better soon!!

I've seen nacho cheese sauce with wheat in it. It's not cheese, it's some sort of freakish thing that isn't even food anymore (but is still yummy!) so who knows what sort of freakish things is in it. The rule is: unless you know exactly what is in something, it doesn't belong in your mouth. A simple "is it gluten free?" and "yes" is never good enough for me. I've had too many experiences of "that's without sugar, right?" or "it's fine, it's white flour not wheat flour" to trust some random moron with my health.

If dairy (and particularly lactose) is an issue, stadium cheeze is not going to be your friend.  Check out the percentages for "processed" American and Velveeta in particular, since those would be closest to any kind of nacho sauce:  http://www.stevecarper.com/li/list_of_lactose_percentages.htm

Fat is another issue.  It can upset your ailing tummy as much as any forbidden food.  Dairy and fat together?  They're like a dynamic duo of very delicious evil. 

I would say that it's unusual for corn chips or nacho cheeze to have gluten in it.  I've seen "modified food starch" without a specified source, but I've never seen actual wheat flour.  That said, I too don't like to eat anything I can't read first.  When coworkers bring a snack to work, I feel like a horrible person but I always have to ask, "Can I see the label?"  Some people scoff at chain restaurants or cafes like Starbucks, but I love being able to see all the ingredients on the website before I even THINK about going in.  I simply don't trust people to know whether a food is gluten free or not. 

The server might have also handled hot dog buns or something else that cross contaminated the chips

If dairy (and particularly lactose) is an issue, stadium cheeze is not going to be your friend.  Check out the percentages for "processed" American and Velveeta in particular, since those would be closest to any kind of nacho sauce:  http://www.stevecarper.com/li/list_of_lactose_percentages.htm

Fat is another issue.  It can upset your ailing tummy as much as any forbidden food.  Dairy and fat together?  They're like a dynamic duo of very delicious evil. 

I would say that it's unusual for corn chips or nacho cheeze to have gluten in it.  I've seen "modified food starch" without a specified source, but I've never seen actual wheat flour.  That said, I too don't like to eat anything I can't read first.  When coworkers bring a snack to work, I feel like a horrible person but I always have to ask, "Can I see the label?"  Some people scoff at chain restaurants or cafes like Starbucks, but I love being able to see all the ingredients on the website before I even THINK about going in.  I simply don't trust people to know whether a food is gluten free or not.

It was probably the chips. I can't tell you how many times I'll be in the grocery store looking at tortilla chips and see that they are a blend of both wheat and corn. Think about this, both corn tortillas and flour tortillas exist, so why wouldn't both forms of tortilla chips?