Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

africanqueen99

Go Picnics At Target

Many of you may already know this, but I thought some of the newer folks might appreciate the head's up. :)

There are several boxes of Go Picnics that are gluten-free and Target sells a wide variety of them.  If you're walking through the store and you notice they're on sale (in my area the regular price is $3.99/box) grab two boxes.  Then go buy them - for some reason buying two will set off the coupon sensor at the register for another set of two.

For example, my Target had them at $2.99/box.  So I bought two boxes.  The receipt came out with a coupon for $1.50 off two boxes (which takes the price down to $4.50 for two boxes).  Then you can lather, rinse, repeat the process until you're stocked up.  Because I have kids that can use these like "lunchables" I keep a bunch on hand and generally do thise process about four times in a row.  The cashier usually finds in funny and I have no issue taking an extra ten minutes out of my day to save money.  Yes, I buy them, get my coupon, walk back to get more, buy them, get my coupon, etc.

Enjoy!  And make sure you only get the gluten-free boxes - like I said, they aren't all safe gluten-free.

Angela

Undiagnosed, but I'm positive that I'm the genetic link to celiac for my kids.  Gluten Free in solidarity of my girls!

Kid 1 (9 y/o girl) - DX celiac via blood in 9/2013 (age 7.5).  Negative biopsy in 10/2013.

Kid 2 (5 y/o boy) - DX as "latent celiac" via blood in 9/2013 (age 3.5).  Negative biopsy in 10/2013.

Kid 3 (3 y/o girl) - DX celiac via blood in 8/2013 (age 1.5) and 9/2013. 

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I keep one stashed in the car at all times. They were great on our vacation too.

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Awesome idea.  At Target I noticed the coupons print out before payment is taken, had cashiers use them on that transaction.  It is a nice tip!  

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Join eNewsletter

I have to be honest. Even with the coupon, they sure seem overpriced for what you're getting. Most of them contain less than 3 ounces of food. I'd rather make up my own "to go" lunches. Some nuts, a hard-boiled egg, a piece of fruit, a few crackers. It would taste better and be cheaper.

gluten-free since June, 2011

It took 3 !/2 years but my intolerances to corn, soy, and everything else (except gluten) are gone!

Life is good!

Join eNewsletter

These might be good to keep around for emergencies.  Thanks for the information.  This link goes to a coupon.

http://www.gopicnic.com/site/coupons.html#.VGUEDvnF890

Self diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten free since 12/09.

Diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 15 years ago. Fibro symptoms have improved but not gone away with gluten free living.

Osteoarthritis, mostly in hands and neck and lumbar spine. Not sure if going gluten-free has helped that problem, but it certainly can't hurt. (Am very grateful that so far no sign of the RA that is devastating my mother lately.)

Considering a dairy free trial. Considering.

Join eNewsletter

I have to be honest. Even with the coupon, they sure seem overpriced for what you're getting. Most of them contain less than 3 ounces of food. I'd rather make up my own "to go" lunches. Some nuts, a hard-boiled egg, a piece of fruit, a few crackers. It would taste better and be cheaper.

I agree with this, as well.  I keep snacky things around, try to keep fillling things with protein, I rarely use GoPicnics anymore.  I do always keep a couple in the pantry in case something happens and I have to get out of the house ASAP, but when I eat a whole one I am still hungry.  Probably still pretty good for kids who eat less, or when shelf stability is important.  I noticed that if the expiration date of the outer box hits, there are likely still things in there that are still good- they use the soonest expiration date of all the items in there.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Join eNewsletter

You can get beef jerky for around a dollar an ounce. A 2 pound can of Planter's peanuts is ten bucks. And you can make your own crackers really cheaply. All that's left is some sort of fruit or veggie. You could either get a dehydrater and make your own, or buy some dried fruit at the store. And eggs, if pickled, need no refrigeration. You could make up individual pakages of these foods and store them for emergency use.

I can't actually think of any emergency where I would need something like this. Maybe if I had to evacuate because of a wildland fire. I suppose it would make sense to be prepared anyway. Guess I'll get started one of these Sundays.

gluten-free since June, 2011

It took 3 !/2 years but my intolerances to corn, soy, and everything else (except gluten) are gone!

Life is good!

Join eNewsletter

A lot of us have the school keep shelf stable lunches for the kids, just in case. These are one of the few options available. Yes, I can make a better, tastier lunch with fresh ingredients, but having a lunch able can be a nice change of pace.

Angela

Undiagnosed, but I'm positive that I'm the genetic link to celiac for my kids.  Gluten Free in solidarity of my girls!

Kid 1 (9 y/o girl) - DX celiac via blood in 9/2013 (age 7.5).  Negative biopsy in 10/2013.

Kid 2 (5 y/o boy) - DX as "latent celiac" via blood in 9/2013 (age 3.5).  Negative biopsy in 10/2013.

Kid 3 (3 y/o girl) - DX celiac via blood in 8/2013 (age 1.5) and 9/2013. 

Join eNewsletter

I don't use them much but they are handy for traveling.  I will take a few in my suitcase and then in my pack for skiing or hiking.  Times. like travelling, when you can't really make a sandwich or other food.  Good for emergency running out the door times.  I like a "snack" lunch - so these are fun for me.

Join eNewsletter

I loved them for our trip on Mackinac Island.  We were out biking the high trails of the island and the box made it easy to eat and then have the garbage contained until we ran across a trash can (state park).  It also helped for a hasty retreat when we noticed we had set up too close to a snake for our snack.

Michigan

Join eNewsletter

I picked up 3 of them today.  They only had 5 varieties so not much to choose from.  They will be handy to keep in the car for times when I either forget to bring something or have to run out quick and don't have time to make something.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter

• Celiac.com Sponsors (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Chandra Gunawan
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts