This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Go Picnics At Target

africanqueen99

africanqueen99 Contributor

Many of you may already know this, but I thought some of the newer folks might appreciate the head's up. :)

There are several boxes of Go Picnics that are gluten-free and Target sells a wide variety of them.  If you're walking through the store and you notice they're on sale (in my area the regular price is $3.99/box) grab two boxes.  Then go buy them - for some reason buying two will set off the coupon sensor at the register for another set of two.

For example, my Target had them at $2.99/box.  So I bought two boxes.  The receipt came out with a coupon for $1.50 off two boxes (which takes the price down to $4.50 for two boxes).  Then you can lather, rinse, repeat the process until you're stocked up.  Because I have kids that can use these like "lunchables" I keep a bunch on hand and generally do thise process about four times in a row.  The cashier usually finds in funny and I have no issue taking an extra ten minutes out of my day to save money.  Yes, I buy them, get my coupon, walk back to get more, buy them, get my coupon, etc.

Enjoy!  And make sure you only get the gluten-free boxes - like I said, they aren't all safe gluten-free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kareng Grand Master

Tricky!  Open Original Shared Link

Serielda Enthusiast

Thanks Kareng, I plan on getting some of those for MRE replacements for down here for hurricane season, pending on their expiration date.

cyclinglady Grand Master

I keep one stashed in the car at all times. They were great on our vacation too.

LauraTX Rising Star

Awesome idea.  At Target I noticed the coupons print out before payment is taken, had cashiers use them on that transaction.  It is a nice tip!  

SMRI Collaborator

I will have to stop at Target.  I've yet to find the Go Picnic stuff anywhere in my area yet so hopefully they will have them-and on sale!

mommida Enthusiast

I usually hate getting a coupon for something I just bought.  :rolleyes:

That is a very good tip thank you.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

I have to be honest. Even with the coupon, they sure seem overpriced for what you're getting. Most of them contain less than 3 ounces of food. I'd rather make up my own "to go" lunches. Some nuts, a hard-boiled egg, a piece of fruit, a few crackers. It would taste better and be cheaper.

BethM55 Enthusiast

These might be good to keep around for emergencies.  Thanks for the information.  This link goes to a coupon.

Open Original Shared Link

LauraTX Rising Star

I have to be honest. Even with the coupon, they sure seem overpriced for what you're getting. Most of them contain less than 3 ounces of food. I'd rather make up my own "to go" lunches. Some nuts, a hard-boiled egg, a piece of fruit, a few crackers. It would taste better and be cheaper.

I agree with this, as well.  I keep snacky things around, try to keep fillling things with protein, I rarely use GoPicnics anymore.  I do always keep a couple in the pantry in case something happens and I have to get out of the house ASAP, but when I eat a whole one I am still hungry.  Probably still pretty good for kids who eat less, or when shelf stability is important.  I noticed that if the expiration date of the outer box hits, there are likely still things in there that are still good- they use the soonest expiration date of all the items in there.

bartfull Rising Star

You can get beef jerky for around a dollar an ounce. A 2 pound can of Planter's peanuts is ten bucks. And you can make your own crackers really cheaply. All that's left is some sort of fruit or veggie. You could either get a dehydrater and make your own, or buy some dried fruit at the store. And eggs, if pickled, need no refrigeration. You could make up individual pakages of these foods and store them for emergency use.

I can't actually think of any emergency where I would need something like this. Maybe if I had to evacuate because of a wildland fire. I suppose it would make sense to be prepared anyway. Guess I'll get started one of these Sundays.

africanqueen99 Contributor

A lot of us have the school keep shelf stable lunches for the kids, just in case. These are one of the few options available. Yes, I can make a better, tastier lunch with fresh ingredients, but having a lunch able can be a nice change of pace.

gilligan Enthusiast

Yes, they are quick and ready to go. That's the advantage!

kareng Grand Master

I don't use them much but they are handy for traveling.  I will take a few in my suitcase and then in my pack for skiing or hiking.  Times. like travelling, when you can't really make a sandwich or other food.  Good for emergency running out the door times.  I like a "snack" lunch - so these are fun for me.

mommida Enthusiast

I loved them for our trip on Mackinac Island.  We were out biking the high trails of the island and the box made it easy to eat and then have the garbage contained until we ran across a trash can (state park).  It also helped for a hasty retreat when we noticed we had set up too close to a snake for our snack.

SMRI Collaborator

I picked up 3 of them today.  They only had 5 varieties so not much to choose from.  They will be handy to keep in the car for times when I either forget to bring something or have to run out quick and don't have time to make something.

Archived