Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

w8in4dave

gluten-free Cheerios

I was on FB and you know the adds they have on there? Well one was an add saying they have figured out how to take the Gluten out of Oats and came up with gluten-free Cheerios they will be coming out soon. Anyone eles see that? I will see if I can find it on line and post a link.

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

They are not taking gluten out of the oats, but are sourcing gluten-free oats. Just want to clear that up for any newbies!

Glad that there are more cereal options out there! Let's hope the price is reasonable. The cost of cereal is shocking!

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

Actually... they aren't using gluten-free oats.  The reason regular oats are not gluten-free is because of harvesting, growing, transporting, etc.  They become cc'd with wheat.  Cheerios says they have a way to use these cheaper non-gluten-free oats and separate out the stray wheat seeds.  "some are troubled by General Mills’ decision to use oats that are mechanically processed to eliminate cross-contamination from gluten-containing grains instead of oats that are specifically grown to be gluten free."

Right now, Cheerios is hosting a "conference" for some bloggers and associations to try to reassure us that the Cheerios, using regular cc'd oats, will be gluten free.  I hope that they test the cereal before selling it.  We will see what comes of that soon.

Join eNewsletter

Are you kidding? Open mouth and insert foot, girl! I guess I never should assume anything!!!!!

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

Join eNewsletter

Kellog's has announced that Gluten Free Rice Krispies have been discontinued.

http://www.kelloggs.com/en_US/community.html   You have to click on the one about Rice Krispies

They have come out with gluten free Eggo's which will contain oat flour.

https://community.kelloggs.com/kelloggs/topics/kelloggs-is-introducing-new-gluten-free-offerings

Gluten free Dec. 2011
Dermatitis Herpetiformis

Reynaud's October 2018

Rheumatoid Arthritis October 2018

Join eNewsletter

Noooo not gluten-free rice krispies!  Ah well never really bought them just like having the option.  I have read that growth in the gluten-free products market is slowing down, so I highly suspect the "bubble" in the market will pop eventually, and we will see a lot of the gluten-free products from mainstream brands pulled.  Hopefully the good gluten-free brands that we all know and love will survive all of it.

As for gluten-free cheerios, they will probably be fine to eat.  While I don't like that they are not sourcing gluten-free grown oats, I understand that a huge production could never get enough gluten-free oats to meet their demand.   They are using a technology that has been honed and perfected in manufacturing processes for quite a while, which i suspect may be an automated optical/mechanical sorting, or something similar.  Obviously they are going to stay tight lipped about that trade secret, but it would make me feel better if they at least released info on how often things are tested, etc.  Bottom line, though, is if they didn't have total confidence this was FDA compliant, they wouldn't do it.  So, after a while of them being out I may try them.  A lot of gluten-free cereals lack in fiber and such and it will be nice to have another option.

I am my husband's "Silly Yak Girl" :)

I was diagnosed with Celiac Disease in January 2013. I also have Lupus and Common Variable Immunodeficiency(CVID) for which I am on IVIG.

Join eNewsletter

If you all would read the links! Lol

"ELISA testing, performed after sorting and once the groats are milled into flour, validates that each batch is indeed clean and free of gluten."

"Note that the cleaned oat flour will be transported to manufacturing facilities and used on dedicated (and enclosed) lines "

Join eNewsletter

Kellog's has announced that Gluten Free Rice Krispies have been discontinued.

http://www.kelloggs.com/en_US/community.html   You have to click on the one about Rice Krispies

Wahhhh!  I use the gluten-free Rice Krispies for the kids for treats and on vacation.  Other gluten-free brands cost so much more.  Dang.  :(

Nicole 

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993

Celiac - June, 2012

Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Join eNewsletter

I havn't tried the gluten-free rice Crispies , so I guess I didn't miss anything.

Recovering Gluten Eater 

DX'd June 17th 2013

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter

• Celiac.com Sponsors (A19):

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Denise 13
  • Celiac.com Sponsor (A20):

• Forum Statistics