Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

DandelionH

Your reactions to glucose syrup.

Rate this topic

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

You do know that glucose is sugar, not gluten? I have never had glucose syrup. Isn't that what they give you in the hospital, or are you finding it in food? Are you saying maybe it's cross-contaminated?

gluten-free since June, 2011

It took 3 !/2 years but my intolerances to corn, soy, and everything else (except gluten) are gone!

Life is good!

Join eNewsletter

4 minutes ago, bartfull said:

You do know that glucose is sugar, not gluten? I have never had glucose syrup. Isn't that what they give you in the hospital, or are you finding it in food? Are you saying maybe it's cross-contaminated?

Sorry, I mean glucose syrup from wheat :) . Or dextrose, for that matter. Those things with minimal ppm that are technically safe and many people don't react to but some do.
Someone was telling me it was because there IS no gluten but a lot of celiacs are allergic to wheat and do react because of that (hence packaging saying 'contains wheat' but not 'contains gluten'. Because some people are wheat allergic). I was just curious whether the reactions are the same (meaning it probably is a response to a tiiiiny amount present?) or different or. :)

Join eNewsletter

OK, I just looked it up. Guess it's not the same thing they give you in the hospital. It is indeed in food. And it looks like they do use wheat sometimes, which wouldn't be a problem because they would have to label it as such being that wheat is one of the top eight allergens. But they also use barley sometimes and they DON'T have to label for that. It looks like it is mostly used in candy. I guess if someone sees it in the ingredients they would have to contact the company to be sure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glucose_syrup

It took 3 !/2 years but my intolerances to corn, soy, and everything else (except gluten) are gone!

Life is good!

Join eNewsletter

We were typing at the same time. :D

Anyway, I am totally sugar free so I've never had it. Can't help you with what my reaction is like. Back when I did eat sugar it was only organic things with organic cane sugar. It took a while to get over missing ice cream, but I finally AM over it and feel much better.

Life is good!

Join eNewsletter