This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Recommended body wash/shampoo/conditioner?

Momma2PirateNPrincess

Momma2PirateNPrincess Rookie

So all this time I've been making a rookie mistake and didn't check my beauty products! My daily body wash has wheat! I'm not sure if it's bothering me but it's worth changing to see. Any suggestions of what brand to use that I can easy find? 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kymbp Newbie

Wheat/gluten will not bother a Celiac unless it's ingested.

Wheat-free cosmetics/hair care products are necessary for people with wheat allergies--which is completely different from a Celiac problem.

If you want to switch as a precaution, that's up to you, but I have been a gluten-abstinate, clinically diagnosed Celiac for 7 years and I have no problem with skincare/hair care products at all.

Niquiesmom Newbie

Gluten/wheat can affect a celiac thru the skin. My daughter is a celiac and is very sensitive.  She had a terrible reaction to shampoo with gluten. She had what I thought was dandruff but as I treated the dandruff it progressively got worse because the shampoo contained gluten. We have since used pantene for hair and dove for bodywash/soap. 

cyclinglady Grand Master
26 minutes ago, Niquiesmom said:

Gluten/wheat can affect a celiac thru the skin. My daughter is a celiac and is very sensitive.  She had a terrible reaction to shampoo with gluten. She had what I thought was dandruff but as I treated the dandruff it progressively got worse because the shampoo contained gluten. We have since used pantene for hair and dove for bodywash/soap. 

Gluten must be ingested in order to trigger a celiac flare-up.  However, you can have both celiac disease and a wheat allergy.  This topic has been hotly debated in the celiac world.  The bottom line is  that until there is an actual research study, we will never really know.  I trust Jane Anderson, who writes for about.com and has great tips for celiacs:

Open Original Shared Link

I personally stay away from anything that I can possibly swallow.  This includes pet food and drywall, wallpaper paste and mud/plaster.  

kareng Grand Master

Unfortunately, most people don't really understand how skin works.  There are very few things that can get through all the layers, dead and alive, of skin.  If everything could get through, we couldn't function.  And even if a substance could get into the blood stream, it would be hard for it to then get out , into the small intestine, to cause a Celiac antibody reaction.

Open Original Shared Link

"

What ingredients should I avoid in cosmetic products?

Gluten is only toxic to celiac patients and patients with dermatitis herpetiformis (DH) if ingested. Because gluten cannot be absorbed through the skin, the use of cosmetic and shampoos containing gluten has not been shown to be detrimental to patients with celiac disease or DH. However, we do recommend gluten-free lip products, hand lotions and other products that may end up near the mouth. And, in the case of children, a gluten-free shampoo would be wise."

RMJ Mentor

I decided to switch to gluten free shampoo but ONLY because I have long hair and it gets in my mouth a lot.

Momma2PirateNPrincess Rookie

I was going to buy pantene but after googling although it is gluten free it still can be cross contaminated...found out the same goes for my current shampoo/conditioner so I didn't replace it. I did end up buying method body wash and a new face wash. Oh and I also realized the soap I was using to wash my hands had wheat (ugh) but luckily we had a refill bottle of soft soap here! Seriously why would you have wheat in hand soap???? 

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

manasota Explorer

Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, skin is not quite as impermeable as one would wish.  For instance, there are many medications applied topically which are absorbed and attain measurable levels in the bloodstream. Think about the prescription patches you see advertised.  Scopolamine patches are applied on the skin behind the ear.  They are used for motion sickness or post-op nausea and vomiting.  Their effect is due to their blood levels.  There are pain patches, hormone creams, lots of transdermal (through the skin) medications.

HOWEVER, all the scientists maintain that gluten is NOT absorbed through the skin.  The molecule is simply too big, thank God!  I believe them.  ;-)

GFrapunzel Newbie

I have Celiac and am painfully sensitive to wheat/barley/bran in shampoo or lotion, etc. I break out in severe boils on my scalp if I use shampoo with wheat, including the brand Organix, which put gluten in very long hard-to-decode words. The only brand that finally doesn't give me boils is Aubrey Organics. Their shampoo is made in a gluten-free facility. I also started using Shea butter with essential oils for body lotion and also coconut oil after I shave my legs. They work very well. I just got a new shampoo called Acure and it's also gluten-free.

Also I was getting SERIOUS hand rashes that were insanely itchy at work!! and I wash my hands ALL the time because I work at a school. I finally asked the secretary, who also has Celiac and buys all the soap and she admitted it did the same to her and she no longer uses that soap because she researched it and the super flexible cheap plastic containers contain GLUTEN! Plastic?! Now I've heard it all!!! I started using hand sanitizer instead and the rashes went away.

Archived