• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

Forgive me if this has already been asked, but I couldn't find it if it has. :)

I was recently told that I have Celiacs, and I'm wondering what flavors I can have and which I can't. All I could find out is that both "natural" and "artifical" flavors could have gluten in them. It seems that everything has one or the other in them!

I also like to have flavored coffee at places other than Starbucks - is there something in particualar that I need to watch out for? I love my flavored coffee...

Thank you so much!

I was recently told that I have Celiacs, and I'm wondering what flavors I can have and which I can't. All I could find out is that both "natural" and "artifical" flavors could have gluten in them. It seems that everything has one or the other in them!

I also like to have flavored coffee at places other than Starbucks - is there something in particualar that I need to watch out for? I love my flavored coffee...

Thank you so much!

Ghiradelli flavored coffees are free of gluten. We drank them for the past week. No problems here. The chocolate raspberry coffee is my favorite.

Call their 800# and ask--that is the best thing you can do---well, I didnt find an 800# but here is their other info:

Corporate Office

111 3rd Ave South

Minneapolis, MN

Phone

612-334-9746

Many flavored coffee's contain gluten--you have to be very careful. Call and ask! Deb

Many of the drinks at Starbucks are Gluten Free. You just need to call them and they'll give you a list. I get lattes with their flavored syrups ALL th Time. Enjoy!!!!

I asked Foldgers about thiers, and here is thier reply...

Response (Gwyn) - 09/26/2005 12:58 PM

Thanks for contacting Folgers, Vincent.

Our coffees are 100% pure coffee. Since coffee has no nutritional value, there's no significant amount of calories, protein, carbohydrates, fat, sodium, or potassium. In fact, one serving of brewed coffee contains less than 5 calories. There is no gluten at all in any Folgers version.

We use natural and artificial flavorings in our flavored Ground and Whole Bean versions. You'll get a smooth coffee taste, with just a hint of flavor. The best part is that the flavorings don't affect the nutritional content of the coffee; there are no additional calories, carbohydrates, alcohol or sugars.

If you prefer decaf coffee, it might help to know we only use pure water and natural ingredients for decaffeination. So, you can have all of the flavor, without all the caffeine!

I hope this information helps!

Gwyn

Folgers Team

another coffee drinker! :)

I opt to make my own plain at home usually, and love nestle's (by kraft) liquid flavored creamers! they are great and it says right on the label 'gluten free'! (on the back of the bottle in the green box). Another star for kraft foods! I've also seen them in boxes of the mini size (like you get at the diner) in some stores, that don't require refrigeration. So you can easily take them with you to add to plain coffee wherever you are!

yummy!

~Patti in NJ~

another coffee drinker! :)

I opt to make my own plain at home usually, and love nestle's (by kraft) liquid flavored creamers! they are great and it says right on the label 'gluten free'! (on the back of the bottle in the green box). Another star for kraft foods! I've also seen them in boxes of the mini size (like you get at the diner) in some stores, that don't require refrigeration. So you can easily take them with you to add to plain coffee wherever you are!

yummy!

~Patti in NJ~

I am forever in your debt, as well as the debt of all the other people who kindly replyed to my post.

:) Thank you.

Thank you so much!

I have done some research in the past 2 weeks since I found out that I have a gluten intolerance and this is what I have gotten from the manufacturer:

Gluten Free:

Millstone Flavored Coffees

Folgers Flavored Coffees

Berres Brothers (they verified Cranberry Cream...not sure about the others)

NOT Gluten Free:

Seattle's Best Flavored Coffees

Verdict is still out on some others that I have emails and calls into.

Good luck!

Kim

Thank you so much!

Not sure where u are from but Dunkin Donuts coffees are gluten-free, not the lattes though!

If there's a particular brand you like you should call and check to make sure, but the vast majority of flavored coffees are gluten-free. The main ones you have to watch out for are the ones at shops that they add non-coffee ingredients to.

richard

... this is what I have gotten from the manufacturer:

Gluten Free:

Millstone Flavored Coffees

Folgers Flavored Coffees

Berres Brothers (they verified Cranberry Cream...not sure about the others)

Yeehaaa! This was my favorite at-home flavored coffee, and I had not found any info on it so I had been avoiding it. Happy Days!

Thank you, Kim!

MILLSTONE COFFEE IS NOT TRUTHFUL CO.

Millstone Coffee CO

Procter & Gamble Pla, Cincinnati, OH 45202

(513) 983-1100

I WOULD LIKE TO SHARE MY EXPERIENCE -- Today I called the number I listed above. I got into a huge fight today with Millstone coffee company for not disclosing their ARTIFICALLY FLAVORED ingredients in the Raspberry 'N' Cream coffee. First let me say they wouldn't connect me with the guy in charge. Over and over I demanded! And asked who owned Millstone it is Procter & Gamble -- they also make FOLGERS COFFEE.

The guy was a real JERK he told me the artifically flavored ingredients are a secret!

I explained he might not be awared of the new FDA labeling requirement that for people with serious food allergies (like myself) they need to tell us everything they put in their products. He said "OH NO WE DON'T! -- They are our trade secrets!" I said "HA! I'll just report you to the FDA for not complying." He said again "No problem." I told him it [would be a huge problem] when I have a seizure from something I am allergic to and I end up in the hospital I will sure SUE them for not telling me when I asked. He said "No problem!"

I asked for the CEO's name as well as his, he wouldn't give me his bosses name. He said he was the stupid-visor of the customer service. The more I pushed he said I had to get a letter from my doctor to get their trade secrets. I told him why should I have to pay my doc $200 for an office visit then another $200 for him to write a letter requesting that information, then another $200 office visit for the doctor to explain it to me, all for a $1.00 pack of coffee?

Then he said you need to think of us as manufactures there are dishonest people out there and you could be our competition and stealing our secrets. I asked him does he know what its like to have a seizure? He said no problem.

I feel it has soy or gluten in it for sure...

Whats the big deal telling the consumer?

That's okay -- I'm going to write to the FDA and report to them my experience. I posted the FDA info in this thread here.

We must hold the food manufactuers responsible for what is making us sick.

Please write to the boss man president of the company...

A.G. LASLEY

Procter & Gamble

P.O. BOX 599

CINCINNATI, OH 45201

CHASE & SANBORN COFFEE

SARA LEE COMPANY

1-888-246-2598

SPECIAL ROAST

The can has a blue label, white letters, with two old guys in a goldish logo that has a red ribbon with the words 'GOOD VALUE SINCE 1862'. It might be cheap but NOT GOOD for US!

I called the company today. I had a funny feeling it was NOT pure coffee. And I was right it has 1 gram of SOY PROTEIN. So if you are like me and others that have problems with SOY you might want to avoid this product. The labeling doesn't comply with the new FDA rules or this is old before the new laws.

Think twice and call the company and demand answers. Because this could be why you aren't getting better, hidden SOY is bad.

Many of the drinks at Starbucks are Gluten Free. You just need to call them and they'll give you a list. I get lattes with their flavored syrups ALL th Time. Enjoy!!!!

do you know if the white hot chocolate is okay? :unsure: I just got diagnosed with this and it feels like all my favorite foods are gone. I love the white hot chocolate with a little bit of raspberry syrup, but a lot of times when I ask restaurants if things are wheat or gluten free they give me the wrong answer. I ran into that problem with Chili's chips and I was in pain for over a week.

"Response (Gwyn) - 09/26/2005 12:58 PM

Thanks for contacting Folgers, Vincent.

We use natural and artificial flavorings in our flavored Ground and Whole Bean versions.

If you prefer decaf coffee, it might help to know we only use pure water and natural ingredients for decaffeination. So, you can have all of the flavor, without all the caffeine!

Folgers Team"

I just read that and had a light bulb moment....

They put NATURAL INGREDIENTS in the decafe and flavored ground and whole bean coffees...that means don't trust those dirty little words NATURAL INGREDIENTS Beware something is hidden, it could be all sorts of things from soy to carmel or their secret???

nessa -- can you do dairy? Sometimes they say when you are in the healing process you eliminate dairy until you body heals. Then when you feel good again to re-introduce it again, and see...

I've been drinking coffee i got at the superstore, it's the kind you have to ground right there in the store yourself. I love the hazelnut vanilla...

Does anyone know if this is gluten free. I'm still in the healing stage so i wouldn't know if it's affecting me. Because i'm always sick anyway.

Flavored Coffee is a no no.

I have found they use SOY in many of them. And soy is bad for us. (Some are in denial here...) Oops did I say that? [giggle]

Ronnie -- have you read THE PALIO DIET or DANGEROUS GRAINS? They are great book and will guide you to some answers. They go into secondary food intolerence or allergies; like soy, legumes and night shade and etc...

Thanks for this thread, you guys, and for all the work you've done. I love coffee, but have avoided it altogether because I've been afraid of getting glutened. I love starbucks, but again, too scared to try it. Thanks again --you guys are great. And I WILL write to that CEO -- and ask him why his company chooses to endanger the health of his consumers by refusing to disclose potentially harmful ingredients to persons with either allergies or intolerance to particular ingredients. Basically, my intent is to make him feel like dirt, but in a really nice, southern way!

Anyone have any secrets how to flavor their coffee the natural way?

I have been making my flavored coffee from scratch. What I have been doing is adding things to the coffee grounds before I brew the coffee.

Like I have been adding a few (3 or 4) of the little star anise to it. You can use fennel too. Its so so good. You can use cin·na·mon too. And I add a cap full of vanilla extract flavoring to a cup it's really good too. Also I have been taking frozen raspberries, or blueberries and cooking them just a bit in the microwave, then adding them to the coffee grinds to be brewed in the coffee maker.

Anyone else flavoring their coffee this way?

Flavored Coffee is a no no.

I have found they use SOY in many of them. And soy is bad for us. (Some are in denial here...) Oops did I say that? [giggle]

Ronnie -- have you read THE PALIO DIET or DANGEROUS GRAINS? They are great book and will guide you to some answers. They go into secondary food intolerence or allergies; like soy, legumes and night shade and etc...

wait, what? soy is bad for us? i was just wondering where you are getting your information from. i have never experienced any symptoms from soy. secondary intolerences or allergies don't necessarily have to develop.

Elaine

Anyone have any secrets how to flavor their coffee the natural way?

I have been making my flavored coffee from scratch. What I have been doing is adding things to the coffee grounds before I brew the coffee.

Like I have been adding a few (3 or 4) of the little star anise to it. You can use fennel too. Its so so good. You can use cin·na·mon too. And I add a cap full of vanilla extract flavoring to a cup it's really good too. Also I have been taking frozen raspberries, or blueberries and cooking them just a bit in the microwave, then adding them to the coffee grinds to be brewed in the coffee maker.

Anyone else flavoring their coffee this way?

If you get into roasting your own coffee (like in the oven) you can add anise seeds, vanilla beans, cinnamon sticks, and whatever else to the bean batch while they're roasting. I never thought about just putting flavoring stuff into the filter with the coffee, though, good idea! I wish I could do coffee again, my tummy doesn't like it! I can drink the stuff cold brewed in a Toddy, but even too much of that makes my tummy hurt.

wait, what? soy is bad for us? i was just wondering where you are getting your information from. i have never experienced any symptoms from soy. secondary intolerences or allergies don't necessarily have to develop.

Elaine

http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?showtopic=15577

If you would like to read the book "dangerous grains" or the "paleo diet" it is clear SOY is bad. And yes, they both write many of us celiacs develop secondary food intolerces and allergeies. There is plenty of pro-and-con about it, some people are in denial (I understand why). You can search this site for plenty of thread on this subject.

Thank you so much!

Hello everyone!

I'm a newbie here. I've been diagnosed with Celiac Disease for just over three years.

On the subject of flavoured coffee