• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

ShortStuff2309

Chili's Or Tgi Friday's - Which Is Better?

Rate this topic

This weekend I will be going out for my birthday and the restaurant selection is either Chili's or TGI Friday's. I was wondering which would be the better of the two for gluten-free food?

I don't know about strickly gluten free since I have so many problems but, locally, I have better luck at Chilis. I tried TGI's once and won't go back, but again, I have so many problems that I am very difficult to feed in public. However, Chilis always works fine and always works with me.

Wow :o I will try the Chilis, too, then. Here in Carlisle a Chilis just opened. Since so many people are for it I might as well give it a try. I was wondering every day, when I passed it, if we could eat there.

Hugs, Stef

Chili's response to gluten-free request:

Thank you very much for your email and for your interest in Chili's. We are

very happy to provide you with a list of suggested menu items. Please

be aware that we cannot guarantee that any item is completely wheat-free due

cross-contamination possibilities in the preparation of our food items.

herefore, the list we have compiled is based on the information obtained from our

supplier ingredient statements:

Bacon Burger with no bun, no dill pickles, no mayo

Baked Potato Soup

Chili's Filet Steak - no garlic toast=

Chips - No Salsa

Chocolate Shake

Citrus Fire Chicken and Shrimp

Flamed-grilled Ribeye - no garlic toast

Salmon and Rice with Steamed Veggies with no ginger citrus sauce

Kid Burger - no bun

Margarita-grilled Chicken with no black beans or kettle beans

Mashed Potatoes

Mushroom Swiss Burger with no mayo, no dill pickles, no bun.

Old Timer Burger with or without Cheese with no mustard, no bun, no dill

pickles.

Side of Saut=E9ed mushrooms

Tuna Steak Sandwich with no aioli dressing, no bun

** French Fries are not fried in a dedicated fryer and could pick up wheat

proteins from the oil used to fry other items.

We hope you are able to choose a meal to your liking. Should you have any

further inquiries regarding our menu items please contact Mr. Tom Foegle at

972/980-9917 in our Food & Beverage Quality Assurance Department

Hmmm, that sounds very much like CC. I guess I better don't go there then.

;) Thanks for the Posted information here!

We have a Chili's that is an hour's drive from us, and it is in a bigger Town, but I have never eaten there. I always wanted to try it. Now that I am gluten-free, this info on Chili's response to gluten-free request was quite informative for me. It gives me an idea of what to expect when I do go to try Chili's out! THANKS!

I would suggest calling the Chili's and Friday's that you are considering. I think a lot depends on the staff at the individual restaurants. Recently, I called my local Friday's and spoke to a manager, who was very helpful, and told me that they would either clean a portion of the grill or use a clean pan--whichever was appropriate. She then told me on the phone which side dishes would be good for me to order. She followed that by saying that they could, indeed, accomodate me. I got the feeling that she understood what Celiac was and how to prepare food safely. Although I have not ventured out to eat yet, when I do I will be going there.

I called our local Friday's, which is new, and they said they would try but once I got there and spoke with the mananger in person, it was horrible.

When I called Chilis and they said OK, then I went in and talked to the manager and the cook for confirmation, I had no problems. Now I go there regularly without worrying - as long as it is not a busy time. Every time I go during a peak period (like Friday nights), I get sick. We go on off times, Sunday afternoon, early evening during the week, etc. Always perfect. However, if you check with most companies, you won't get that answer. Call the individual resturaunt.

Yes--I had no luck with calling the corporate office at Friday's. That's why I called the restaurant that I would be going to. Even if someone has a great experience at their local restaurant, I believe it's still a good idea to call the one you would be attending because they are all run by different individuals.

I went to a Chilis in RI this weekend, and had a great experience. I just explained to my waitress about my food allergy, and she went and spoke to the cook. The food was great (and so were the margaritas! :P )!

Every restaurtant would have to make that claim about cross-contamination (unless they have no gluten containing products in the restaurant)

As a lawyer, I would advise each restaurant to make that claim for liability reasons (which I'm sure the reason they say that).

Every restaurant is a risk, it depends on the individual people making your food.

There are a bunch of Chilis around Vegas, but I always go back to the one across town because I know the manager and a few waiters -- they take care of me and I take care of them (good tip). I have never gotten sick there...

Wonder why not the mustard or dill pickles????

probably white vingegar which could be made from wheat, although some say it's ok because it is distilled

Are any of the salads okay to eat? I have been eating the grilled chicken carriabean salad. It is so good please tell me we can eat it! I know they aren't listed but maybe they just forgot to add them :rolleyes: