This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

N.a.e.t.

StrongerToday

StrongerToday Enthusiast

I just got back from visiting my chiropracter who is also a certified N.A.E.T. therapist. She feels that because I appear to have a wheat/gluten intolerence, not Celiac, that doing a NAET therapy would be helpful. On the one hand I think "what a bunch of bologna", but.... what if it would help? Even if I can't eat a loaf of bread, would it help ward off cross contamination?

Anyone tried it?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

Well,

I am a bit skeptical of the treatment...

I think it is simply applying accupressure/accupuncture after/during consumption of the known allergen....correct?

Seems like a gamble to me...

Jonesy Apprentice
I just got back from visiting my chiropracter who is also a certified N.A.E.T. therapist. She feels that because I appear to have a wheat/gluten intolerence, not Celiac, that doing a NAET therapy would be helpful. On the one hand I think "what a bunch of bologna", but.... what if it would help? Even if I can't eat a loaf of bread, would it help ward off cross contamination?

Anyone tried it?

Hi Ev

;) I love n.a.e.t. I had a practitioner when I lived in Iowa and she was a chiropractor also. She was absolutely brilliant.

We moved from Iowa before I was dx'd with Celiac, so the issue was never addressed. She did so much to improve the health of my husband and myself.

Have you given the n.a.e.t. treatment a try? If so, does your chiro only treat for one condition at a time?

Ours treated for as much as the body could handle for a reasonable price. In the nearby city (Omaha) the practitioner there charged $50 for each visit and would only treat for one allergy at a time, which was much steeper cost than in Iowa.

That said: IMHO, I can't see how n.a.e.t. could possibly treat Celiac since it is not an allergy we are dealing with. On the other hand, if you are treated for your allergies and other bacteria issues, your immune system is not going to be as taxed and will improve your overall health. That could help you while your gut heals. For me, the gluten-free diet is working well. I was dx'd in June, 2005. I haven't been back to see my n.a.e.t. Dr. but will do so at the first opportunity. I think it's a great system (depending on the capability of the practitioner.)

I haven't followed any of your other posts, so my answer is just a shot in the dark based on your question on n.a.e.t.

Maryellen

Guest Viola

I have had N.a.e.t. treaments a few years ago and it really helped my allergies. and no ... you don't consume the offending food before or during treatment. You start consuming small amounts of it after treatment to allow your body to get used to it again.

Having said that ... It does not work on Celiac disease, and does not have an effect if you are accidently glutened. You still go through the gluten problems. Celiac is not an allergy. But it did open my diet up to many other foods including dairy that I was intollerent to.

It's worth a shot, do check into you N.a.e.t practitioner though. Some will tell you that you can consume gluten after. I don't trust those ones. I'm really not sure of the difference between gluten intollerance and Celiac. Did you go through all the testing?

mamaw Community Regular

Naet is muscle testing for certain allergies....I have done naet for about a year and it has helped with many things I didn't realize I had intolerances to. I drove about 1&1/2 hours to get naet -one way each week. Then I found someone closer to me that does Bio-Set which is done by computer and is a tad more advanced.I have had great results. With myself once I stopped wheat & gluten in my diet it seemed everything else seemed to bother my system.Naet took care of alot of that. I don't believe that a celiac can do this treatment & go back to eating wheat & gluten and my tester says that will not ever happen. I'm not celiac but an severe intolerance to it. I have pushed the button twice and ate pizza hut pizza. First time I got crampes within a few seconds , they only lasted for a minute or two. months later I tried again and it went okay. My tester told me not to push it and that was enough for many months and then maybe I could have another slice of greasy pizza hut pizza....I passed all my cravings but that one so I really do not miss anything else.....or I tell myself I don't miss anything else. Mind over matter......

I truly would not trust a person who said after a treatment or two maybe you could eat wheat & gluten.... I was told that was one of the hardest ones to treat....it might make the reaction a bit less sensitive but I don't think nothing will cure it...........Are only hope I think is the new zonulin or something similar, even then I question if it will help people with the intolerance and not the full- blown celiac........

They also do Naet testing on pets,, mine go for monthly treatments and they also have had great results...

oddly enough thats who told me to go for testing ------THE VET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mamaw

StrongerToday Enthusiast

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'm going to give it a try. Even if it will help me with other possible allergies, or if nothing else just reduce my anxiety, then it might be worth it. I have not been diagnosed with Celiac, in fact - all of my bloodwork came back "absolutely perfect".

And yes, even if I could just have the occasional piece of pizza (Pizza Hut - Stuffed Crust!!!) or not worry so much about CC at a restaurant then it would be SO worth it. I really trust my chiro and I certainly don't feel she's just trying to sell me something.

Mamaw - how many treatments did you have, do you still go regularly?

mamaw Community Regular

Hi

I now use the Bio-set because it's closer to me and I go every month or two just to check things out. My tester lets me know if I'm in right spin or left spin and I go from there. I was having thyroid problems and in about 9 months with some medication he got me off of them and I'm doing pretty good. I love my tester as he is understanding and he spends time to try to figure things out.He's found things out about my system before my pcp ever figured it out so I have to tell my pcp when I want blood work and what I want checked..... I also do that with bone scans and anything else my tester or I think we should be checking....

I usually tried the pizza the day after my treatment......Again if one was super sensitive I wouldn't try it.I'm sure if I ate gluten several times or more than one thing I would be in trouble......There are some who can't get near a crumb of gluten ....I'm not that severe but my youngest grandson age 4 is like that .....I boil all my cooking utensils if I use or make something from reg. ingredients...

I feel like evil knivel when I eat pizza......non gluten-free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lots of luck on your journey

mamaw

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CMCM Rising Star

Anyone tried it?

A local chiropractor was really big on N.A.E.T. for a period of time...just the most amazing thing since sliced bread, or so he said. He seems to have abandoned it now, however, and from my observation of his nwespapers ads he sort of drifts from one miracle treatment to another. I had one session with him for the N.A.E.T. and the whole thing seemed quite silly. None of my known allergens was identified. I have an open mind about alternative treatments, but there are a lot of really nutty things out there and this may be one of them. Just my humble opinion, of course!

mamaw Community Regular

cmcm

if your NAET tester didin't come up with anything I too would be gun shy of him.....there are so many out there who really don't know how to test correctly and they just dauble here & there with things. It always makes it bad for the trustworthy , hardworking folks who know it works but they spend time learning, learning learning. I also think that not all have the nack for NAET. I treat a few people and have had great results but it's just for friends....It took me several years to get a feel for it.... You really need to be in tune with ones body or I agree it doesn't work...... I know for vit c I had to be treated several times because I had a severe reaction to vit c.....

sorry it didn't work for you..

mamaw

glutenfreebaker Newbie

NAET is quackery. its pseudoscience. muscle testing is extremely subjective. the suspect allergen is in a glass or plastic tube so you can't even make the arguement for transdermal contamination. Open Original Shared Link

I know there are millions of links out there that profess the magical powers of NAET but if you have this treatment to "cure" your celiac disease or wheat intolerance then eat wheat you're still doing a lot of damage to your body.

this is nothing more than modern day snake oil.

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

Don't know ANYTHING about NAET -- I do know, though, that my MD practices kinesiology. Because I'm in the healthcare field, he and I banter about different things. I told him one day that I thought I was

"yeast-y". He said "You know, I think you smell yeast-y" (I said thanks a lot). I told him that it was pseudomonas, though. He said -- that's kind of rare -- I don't think so. He tried three different vials which he wouldn't tell me what they were. My arm dropped with only one -- pseudomonas. The other two were

1) an empty vial and 2) candida. Kind of convinced me.

Guest Viola

Everyones opinion is welcome, however I had a severe metal allergy where my hands were always covered in pus filled blisters from using metal scissors, my arms would be covered with blisters when I wore a watch and the same goes for necklaces etc. After having the NAET treatments I can happily handle any metal, and wear watches, necklaces, earrings etc. without problems. I alss no longer have dairy problems or citric acid problems. Something must have worked!

jerseyangel Proficient
Don't know ANYTHING about NAET -- I do know, though, that my MD practices kinesiology.

A Kinesiologist was the first person to ever tell me I should never eat wheat, oats, barley or rye. (at the time, I knew nothing about gluten). That is what started me doing research, reading and ultimately seeing a gastroentrologist. He (the Kinesiologist) used muscle testing, and every single recommendation he made to me has been dead on.

mamaw Community Regular

I think the gluten free baker is out numbered on this one.................................

I know it's not a cure-all but it has helped tons of people and by the way snake oil might become the next mega drug of the future.

Holistic trials are not for everyone. so please take this with the grain of salt it was intended.I have such bad reactions to so many drugs I just try the more natural approach first. I will agree that NAET will not cure celiac's

mamaw

Guest Viola

I think if you read through this whole thread, no one claims that NAET will cure Celiacs. We all know it won't as Celiacs isn't an allergy, it's a genetic disease.

I would expect that snake oil might at least have some good wholesome vitamins in it. :rolleyes:

Anyway ... we are all different, and as my family doctor says, try anything that won't do harm, and if it works for you ... go for it!

jerseyangel Proficient

Whenever possible, I will try a more natural (drug free) approach first. I don't really understand how the Kineisiology worked for me, but it has. He told me at the time that I should only eat the other grains--2 oz. per week, and to avoid corn. Corn still makes me bloated and uncomfortable, and after cutting out rice for 2 weeks and then adding it back this week, I find my skin acting up again. My eyelids are itchy and rough, and I have mild cramping. As much as I hate to give up rice, I have to face that I do react to it.

• 3 months later...
utdan Apprentice

Anyone tried it?

(edited)

StrongerToday,

I've gone through about 60-90 treatments of NAET from two different doctors. Before I answer your question let me tell you that most of my allergies have been highly helped with the treatments. I can actually eat soy, milk products without huge reactions, but I still get little ones. As with any doctor there can be a big difference in treatment effectiveness. Make sure your doctor is listed on: WWW.NAET.COM. I tested positive to gluten allergy and bread and other things in bread, and was tested to only have gluten sensitivity, not celiac. Now, after being treated I'm shown to not be allergic but I still have big reactions. NAET hasn't even helped with cross-contamination sensitivity. Definitely, don't rely on it to stop gluten from damaging your body.

UtDan

LKelly8 Rookie
NAET is quackery. . .

. . .this is nothing more than modern day snake oil.

I agree. >ducks< ;)

But everyone has their own bag - prayer, herbs, oils, wildflowers, collecting Hummel figurines - if it works for you then there's your proof. Just be careful that's all - keep an open mind, just not so open your brain falls out. :lol:

Here's an interesting article on the origins of the term "snake oil".

Open Original Shared Link

shai76 Explorer

If you have life threatening food allergies like me don't risk it. You should at least have an epipen around. I don't see h ow it could help. The only proven treatment for food allergies is avoidance. Some people say the sublingual drops work, but insurance will not pay for it because it is an unproven treatment, and it should be adminstered only by professional allergists, which I hate to say it, a chiropractor is not. They don't even have a medical phd.

mamaw Community Regular

Naet or Bio-set has cleared me of many allergies and it does work . It may not work for all but for me & my family it has been a god send. NO it doesn't do anything for celiac sprue as its autoimmune but for allergies I swear by it. Nothing works if one starts out with a negative attitude, that also is mainstream drugs. Being postive is the first point of healing and feeling better. If someone is alway putting you down then at some point without a positive side one wil start to believe it.

I don't do drugs well so I'd rather try alternative methods first before taking aton of side effect drugs that cause more problems than what you began with. And to the ones who are not into holistic health Yes natural remedies do have side effects also. Our forefathers only used holistic approaches to health issues and they faired pretty well. I do beleive you need to have a good person doing the testing as there are some who are not qualified........ I know two great ones if you are near Pa!!!!!!

mamaw

• 3 years later...
curious1 Newbie

I also live in Iowa, and am considering trying the NAET program.....I wonder if you could tell me the name and location of the practitioner you used? THank you!

WheatChef Apprentice

NAET is a complete scam based on ideas and tests that have thoroughly been disproved in repeated studies. If your doctor recommends this treatment, get a new doctor.

Archived