Celiac.com Sponsor:


Celiac.com Sponsor:

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts


A8 Celiac.com Sponsor:

A8 Celiac.com Sponsor:


In the US - Sure.  The regular ones are.  Watch for ones with beer or malt vinegar.  But that plain old yellow stuff is gluten-free.   And a lot of them even say gluten-free on the bottle

Edited by kareng

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am an odd one. My body does not like a lot of additives and ingredients. I was able to do French's or plochman's in the past. Once I underwent my elimination diet to determine my various food/additives intolerances after my gluten intolerance diagnosis, I began to buy Coleman's or Spicely ground mustard and make it as needed.

If you try that route if you add a bit of  vinegar before the water to thin it lessens the heat/spice. If you just add water to the mustard powder you'll get full force.

Best wishes

Edited by Awol cast iron stomach
Autocorrect incorrect

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, kareng said:

In the US - Sure.  The regular ones are.  Watch for ones with beer or malt vinegar.  But that plain old yellow stuff is gluten-free.   And a lot of them even say gluten-free on the bottle

The ones that say gluten-free  have distilled vinegar which still makws me sick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Koops is certified gluten free.  French’s found at Walmart says gluten free on the front label. But really no worries on the vinegar.  Distilled vinegar is okay for celiacs like Karen said.  It is the malted vinegar (the kind used for Fish and Chips), that you can not have.

Bottom line.  I have never had a celiac reaction from mustard.  If it makes you feel better, I have healed based on repeat biopsies.  I do have an additional intolerance to garlic which is usually in mustard, but not enough to cause my Rosacea to flare.  

If you are getting GI upset, it might be another ingredient or if you are a newbie, your gut is still healing.  Then avoid mustard for a while.  Stick with simple non-processed foods that are bland (no seasoning except salt).  

Edited by cyclinglady

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

Koops is certified gluten free.  French’s found at Walmart says gluten free on the front label. But really no worries on the vinegar.  Distilled vinegar is okay for celiacs like Karen said.  It is the malted vinegar (the kind used for Fish and Chips), that you can not have.

Bottom line.  I have never had a celiac reaction from mustard.  If it makes you feel better, I have healed based on repeat biopsies.  I do have an additional intolerance to garlic which is usually in mustard, but not enough to cause my Rosacea to flare.  

If you are getting GI upset, it might be another ingredient or if you are a newbie, your gut is still healing.  Then avoid mustard for a while.  Stick with simple non-processed foods that are bland (no seasoning except salt).  

It is not just mustard..anything with distilled vinegar has the same reaction ..I have read from books on Celiac that vinegar has traces of wheat 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think you are confused.  

All the celiac experts say this:

https://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/is-vinegar-safe-for-those-with-celiac-disease/

https://nationalceliac.org/celiac-disease-questions/is-vinegar-gluten-free/

Please cite the celiac book that says it is not safe.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cyclinglady said:

I think you are confused.  

All the celiac experts say this:

https://www.cureceliacdisease.org/faq/is-vinegar-safe-for-those-with-celiac-disease/

https://nationalceliac.org/celiac-disease-questions/is-vinegar-gluten-free/

Please cite the celiac book that says it is not safe.  

I think you are the one that is confused. If you go to a celiac forum you will find that quite a few celiacs have trouble with distilled vinegar. I'm guessing you do not have celiac disease so you should not comment on what makes us sick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Louiel said:

I think you are the one that is confused. If you go to a celiac forum you will find that quite a few celiacs have trouble with distilled vinegar. I'm guessing you do not have celiac disease so you should not comment on what makes us sick

That’s nice....   she, a long time moderator here,  showed you a reliable source for info on distilled vinegar.  And I, a long time moderator here, on a Celiac forum, tried to tell you that it almost always made of corn in the US.   
 

I find vinegar to be a bit harsh on my stomach some days.( not a Celuac reaction in the small intestine)  Probably from the acidity.  I often use rice vinegar because it’s a bit less acidic

Edited by kareng
Fix some bad grammer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Louiel said:

I think you are the one that is confused. If you go to a celiac forum you will find that quite a few celiacs have trouble with distilled vinegar. I'm guessing you do not have celiac disease so you should not comment on what makes us sick

I do have celiac disease (blood and small intestinal biopsy confirmed).  I have healed based on repeat biopsies, which indicates that I understand the gluten free diet.    I have been managing the diet in my household for 19 years.  I also happen to be a forum moderator, if that lends additional credibility.  😉

Most mustards are safe.  Distilled vinegar is safe.  If you still have doubts, you should consult with a registered dietician as recommended by your Gastroenterologist.

Most celiacs have additional food intolerances or allergies.  It sounds like you have an issue with vinegar (that does not cause an autoimmune celiac reaction).    So, if you want mustard, buy the seed and grind it up or consider a mustard powder.   

Edited by cyclinglady

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Louiel said:

I think you are the one that is confused. If you go to a celiac forum you will find that quite a few celiacs have trouble with distilled vinegar. I'm guessing you do not have celiac disease so you should not comment on what makes us sick

It's possible to develop reactions to many foods.  Probably because our guts can be irritated for a long time and can confuse foods we eat often with the irritation.  So you might have become sensitive to mustard or vinegar.  Or both for that matter.  Sometimes these additional food intolerances are temporary and sometimes they are permanent.

You can try avoiding the food for 6 months or more and then try a little.  If your body has got past the food intolerance you'll be fine.  If not you may have to write that food off for life.

Sometimes when people's guts are still healing they are sensitive to many different foods.  That can change/improve over time though.

I stick with Kroger Private Selection brand mustard mostly.  But am thinking of trying Plochman's mustard soon.  The Kroger's brand has never been a problem for me.

Edited by GFinDC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just because mustard makes you sick doesn't mean it's because of celiac disease. 

People who have other conditions may react to vinegar, like if you have a stomach ulcer for instance. Not everything you eat that makes your stomach upset is because of celiac disease. 

It's important not to rely on anecdotal evidence and old wive's tales to determine what's safe and what's not. If you research how vinegar is made most of it is made from fermenting rice because it's the cheapest material to make it with. Apple is also used. Malted Vinegars are made from wheat, but all others are celiac safe. Malted vinegars are more expensive to produce so wouldn't be used to make mustard. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2020 at 8:17 AM, Louiel said:

It is not just mustard..anything with distilled vinegar has the same reaction ..I have read from books on Celiac that vinegar has traces of wheat 

Louiel,

I don't know if you are still following this thread or not but here is a article that might help you....vinegar can be a source of Sulfites ( and usually is not required to be disclosed as a source of sulfites) in same products like Mustard and Ketchup etc.....

Here is the orthomolecular article about it....and sulfites can cause similar reactions' causing you to believe it was from gluten instead...

http://www.orthomolecular.org/library/jom/1984/pdf/1984-v13n02-p105.pdf 

I hope this is helpful but it is not medical advise.

Posterboy,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

7 7



  • A12 Celiac.com Sponsor:




  • Forum Discussions

    I certainly had many more sinus/ear infections before I went gluten-free. I have a brother that is not a celiac but does have Sarcoidosis and your case sounds similar to his. He is only 34. Only way to find out for sure is to have the testing...
    You can doubt it but the studies are pretty clear that it does. It's not a cure and does not replace a gluten-free diet but I have used it myself (and others on the forums) and the number of times I've had reactions from cross contamination...
    Hello Great advice from posters above. I often had chronic sinus, ear, and uti issues. As for gi at the time I was diagnosed as IBS by symptoms only no testing. Sometimes the uti test didn't show I had a UTI, but I was given...