This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac and Diabetic

Crystal Starkey

cyclinglady Grand Master
37 minutes ago, plumbago said:

Olmesartan is not an ACE inhibitor. It's an ARB (angiotension receptor blocker).

Yikes!  You are right.  That is what I get from using so many acronyms.  The OP, Crystal is taking an ACE inhibitor, Lisinopril.    But have you ever heard that it causes celiac disease?  I have just heard of Olmesartan causing villi damage.  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

plumbago Experienced
13 minutes ago, cyclinglady said:

I have just heard of Olmesartan causing villi damage.

Exactly.

knitty kitty Grand Master
14 hours ago, Crystal Starkey said:

Thank you for the information!  Have you ever heard of a correlation between someone who is taking the blood pressure medication, Lisinopril, and developing Celiac from this?

I found these interesting articles.....

"Thiamine deficiency in diabetes mellitus and the impact of thiamine replacement on glucose metabolism and vascular disease"

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/j.1742-1241.2011.02680.x

And......

"The impact of thiamine supplementation on blood pressure, serum lipids and C-reactive protein in individuals with hyperglycemia: a randomised, double-blind cross-over trial"

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25982678/

And....

"The Impact of Thiamine Treatment in the Diabetes Mellitus"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3376872/

Seems like there's a connection between low or deficient thiamine and diabetes and high blood pressure......interesting.....high dose thiamine, benfotiamine, is used to correct this....

High blood sugar, high blood pressure....low thiamine......

Must go read more......

KyleL Newbie
19 hours ago, Crystal Starkey said:

Thank you for the information!  Have you ever heard of a correlation between someone who is taking the blood pressure medication, Lisinopril, and developing Celiac from this?

I have been on Lisinopril htz for at least 7 years. I developed Celiacs 2 years ago. I was told it was generally genetic. My Dad had it. My 19 year old son and 14 year old daughter both have it 🤷‍♂️.

cyclinglady Grand Master
13 hours ago, KyleL said:

I have been on Lisinopril htz for at least 7 years. I developed Celiacs 2 years ago. I was told it was generally genetic. My Dad had it. My 19 year old son and 14 year old daughter both have it 🤷‍♂️.

Yes, celiac disease is genetic.  What actually turns on the genes is unknown and about 30 % of the population has the genes that could develop into celiac disease.  

But even though you are Lisinopril, you do not think this drug caused you to develop celiac disease, do you?  If so, are your kids on this drug?  I think the OP is trying to figure out if this drug can cause celiac disease or drug-induced small intestinal villi damage.  

Edited by cyclinglady
Scott Adams Grand Master

Lisinopril is very widely used as a first step blood pressure control drug. I've not heard of any correlation with it as a cause of celiac disease or gluten sensitivity. Given that so many people use the drug, I would be surprised if there is such a correlation, but it's not impossible.

Posterboy Mentor
On 10/1/2020 at 2:44 PM, Scott Adams said:

Lisinopril is very widely used as a first step blood pressure control drug. I've not heard of any correlation with it as a cause of celiac disease or gluten sensitivity. Given that so many people use the drug, I would be surprised if there is such a correlation, but it's not impossible.

Scott and Cyclinglady Et Al,

I have been busy with other things in life so I have been slow to respond to this thread.

I found some research that might help.

Linsopril is most known for Chronic Cough.....I had to change off this medicine for that very reason.

Here is a very well article about that complication or Side effect for Linsopril.

https://www.verywellhealth.com/lisinopril-causes-cough-1124151

If you read down in the article.....I will quote from it...so you don't have to read it all...unto you have the time too...they mention Prostaglandins which can trigger GI inflammation....

Quoting from the article.

"While researchers don't fully understand why ACE inhibitors cause a cough in certain patients, the generally accepted mechanism is as follows:

Bradykinin is a peptide that acts as a vasodilator, meaning that it widens blood vessels. Bradykinin normally has a short half-life, as it is degraded by the angiotensin-converting enzyme.

Given that ACE inhibitors hinder that enzyme, bradykinin's activity and concentration can increase when a person takes lisinopril or a like drug. Excess bradykinin can accumulate in the upper and lower respiratory tracts and trigger a cough.

.Bradykinins also stimulate prostaglandins, compounds involved in the immune response, which may increase inflammation in the area."

Here is the last thread I know of where Celiac.com discussed Prostaglandins...

Here is the most relevant information I could find that at least in some GI inflammation cases ACE inhibitors have been shown to be the trigger GI issues....the same way It triggers can Chonic Cough presumably...

See this research entitled "Intestinal Angioedema An Often Misdiagnosed Entity"

https://practicalgastro.com/2016/05/16/intestinal-angioedema-an-often-misdiagnosed-entity/

I hope this is helpful but it is not medical advise.

Posterboy,

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Scott Adams Grand Master

Very interesting info @Posterboy. Perhaps the there are other prescription drugs that can trigger GI issues, especially in those with autoimmune diseases. 

ch88 Collaborator
On 9/28/2020 at 4:25 PM, Posterboy said:

Thank you for that! I always enjoy good pure research that highlights possible changes I can use to give me an edge against my diabetes.

I have been fighting it back for 10 years now successfully with medicine!

Hopefully this Theanine research will help me get rid of my blood sugars issues for good!

You rarely ever see research that so clearly shows a "dose dependent" reaction.

Again thanks for the  good research!

Your welcome, hopefully it works or it helps at least! There is a lot of information online about how theanine helps with amino acid absorption and also down regulates inflammation pathways that are active in ibs and celiac disease. Also higher theanine consumption is associated with reduced the risk of diabetes (the study was for type 2 diabetes in Japan).  I may post a blog post about it later. 

Posterboy Mentor
14 hours ago, ch88 said:

Your welcome, hopefully it works or it helps at least! There is a lot of information online about how theanine helps with amino acid absorption and also down regulates inflammation pathways that are active in ibs and celiac disease. Also higher theanine consumption is associated with reduced the risk of diabetes (the study was for type 2 diabetes in Japan).  I may post a blog post about it later. 

Ch88,

Diabetes is definitely complicated....I have found it is many deficiencies....not just one...

You can be l ow in Taurine....see this research entitled "Prophylactic role of taurine and its derivatives against diabetes mellitus and its related complications"

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29050977/

Chromium helped me drop my A1C 2 whole points in 2 months.....I was definitely low in Chromium.

Chromium Poly is the form easiest on the body.....

Taurine is a Sulphur containing amino acid....Thiamine is a Sulphur containing Vitamin....

I have had trouble with Sulphur too!

My latest research leads me to believe I have had trouble with my Copper metabolism as well.

See this research entitled "Role of copper ion in the pathogenesis of type 2 diabetes"

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19461160/

Posterboy,

Posterboy Mentor

Ch88,

I noticed your tag line "Wheat sensitive. Probably Celiac disease but it could be an allergic response. I get very strong anxiety and then autistic symptoms whenever I eat wheat. It is probably a form of encephalitis (swelling in the brain due to wheat) but I am not sure.  Things that I avoid: All grain, alcohol, eggs, dairy, processed food.

Try taking a B-complex with Bentotiamine I think it will help your anxiety...

I had similar issues once upon a time....

See my Posterboy blog post about how B-Vitamins as part of a complex can cause/trigger GI stress...when we are low in them...

https://www.celiac.com/blogs/entry/2736-if-your-celiac-disease-was-in-part-triggered-by-a-vitamin-deficiency-would-you-take-b-complex-for-it/

Both being low in Thiamine (B1) and Riboflavin (B2) can cause anxiety...

See this research on Thiamine entitled "The Impact of Thiamine Treatment on Generalized Anxiety Disorder"

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/276489128_The_Impact_of_Thiamine_Treatment_on_Generalized_Anxiety_Disorder

And this one on Riboflavin where Anxiety can be the first sign of a deficiency...

https://www.urologyofva.net/articles/category/healthy-diet/4388519/understanding-riboflavin-vitamin-b2-deficiency-in-celiac-disease

Note Point 6: I will quote from article for easy reference...

"Deficiency of riboflavin is normally part of a multiple-nutrient deficiency involving other B vitamins. However, because it can be produced by beneficial intestinal bacteria (flora), the deficiency may not cause symptoms as severe as other vitamin deficiencies, provided the flora is healthy.

Riboflavin deficiency symptoms involve problems with digestion, the mouth, eyes, skin, nervous system, strength, and blood cell production.

6. Nervous tissue damage. Anxiety may be first symptom."

If you take Riboflavin by itself.....your urine will turn yellow.....this is a good thing....after 3 months it will begin to glow......once it is glowing....you are bypassing all the Riboflavin through your kidneys...

If you have ever had "Geographic Tongue" you have had a Riboflavin deficiency and the doctor's don't know it...

https://glutenfreeworks.com/health/tongue-magenta-swollen/

I  used to have it ALL the time ( and anxiety) until I took some Riboflavin aka B2.

I also had Angular Cheilitosis IE Leaky lips....what is characterized as Pellagra Sine Pellagra or Pellagra without extensive Skin issues or the rough skin that so markedly identifies Pellagra because of it's rough Skin....

About 80% of us will never develop Pellagra but many will develop Pellagra Sine Pellagra and because their is no clinically distinct symptoms like Skin issues (though Angular Cheilitis should of been a recognizable symptom) and the Geographic Tongue should of been a dead give away....but it wasn't...

Doctor's sadly are not good at diagnosing a Vitamin Deficiency...nor is it very profitable for them...

If you take a B-Complex or IE Vitamin and your symptom's get better....you won't come back...

I hope this is helpful but it is  not medical advise.

Posterboy,

• 2 weeks later...
Posterboy Mentor

Ch88,

I had written out a longer response....before accidentally getting kicked off....

SO I will provide the link for you to review....its is very interesting too me....because I am using this pure research to help my diabetes....and try to get off to do other things before it becomes WTL!

It is current research from this year Circa 2020....

And sadly it will probably take another 20 years before doctor's start checking for theseTrace minerals/element deficiencies... because they don't think you have them in the FIRST place!

Here is the link to the full abstract...entitled "Role of Minerals and Trace Elements in Diabetes and Insulin Resistance"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7353202/

And here is only Table 1 that gives a nice overview of how Trace Mineral deficiencies affect a diabetic's blood sugar levels...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/core/lw/2.0/html/tileshop_pmc/tileshop_pmc_inline.html?title=Click on image to zoom&p=PMC3&id=7353202_nutrients-12-01864-i001.webp

By affecting oxidative stress in the body....trace minerals can cause insulin resistance and thus diabetes...

And sadly the standard medical answer is the average healthy person does not need to supplement with Vitamin/Minerals...

Well I hate to break to them (Medical professional's) Diabetics.....are not the "average" healthy person or we wouldn't  have insulin resistance in the FIRST place!

I only know supplementing with my missing nutrients IE Vitamins/Minerals have helped my health! for the Better.....and some times a LOT Better!

So much soo I I didn't need the doctor's medicines anymore! To hide the symptom's of my Vitamin/Mineral deficiencies!

Posterboy,