This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Strict Do We Need To Be?

radman

radman Newbie

So Vincent, how do you know that the gluten is removed in the distilling (though it makes sense)?

If this is the case, then I agree with the Makers Mark on the rocks. Of course a margarita or tequila shot on a more festive occasion is perfectly safe irregardless, which is nice to know.

But still, sometimes there's just no substitute for a cold beer, and I am fairly certain my local club would laugh heartily if I inquire about gluten free beer. Besides, most of the time the beer socials are around the neighborhood at friends houses, porches, or barbeques. I guess I could drink wine like the ladies and let them think I'm too snooty too drink beer anymore. I think snooty is better than panzie. I think.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rusla Enthusiast
So Vincent, how do you know that the gluten is removed in the distilling (though it makes sense)?

If this is the case, then I agree with the Makers Mark on the rocks. Of course a margarita or tequila shot on a more festive occasion is perfectly safe irregardless, which is nice to know.

But still, sometimes there's just no substitute for a cold beer, and I am fairly certain my local club would laugh heartily if I inquire about gluten free beer. Besides, most of the time the beer socials are around the neighborhood at friends houses, porches, or barbeques. I guess I could drink wine like the ladies and let them think I'm too snooty too drink beer anymore. I think snooty is better than panzie. I think.

I think you should be that uppity snooty wine drinker, who dabbles in tequila.

VydorScope Proficient

Dont have any facny links for you , but basicly the gluten protien is to big to be carried through the distilling process. I'll see if I cna find some fancy links for you......

skoki-mom Explorer

Not Vincent, but allegedly the gluten proteins are too big and are "filtered out" for lack of a better word during the distillation process. Here in Canada, vodka coolers are considered safe for people with celiac disease, so I happily indulge in my Smirnoff Ice and my Mike's Hard Lemonade on occasion. I'm not a big drinker to start with, but the playoffs are starting soon (NHL) I gotta have my Smirnoff or I can't stand the stress of watching my boys play every other night. ;)

radman Newbie

I think a little personal experience may be better than fancy links for this.

Who drinks what and gets away with it? (celiac wise)

skoki-mom Explorer

I could get away with anything, Celiac wise. I'm not a reliable source!!! I never did like beer anyhow, terribly un-Canadian of me!!! My sister is very sensitive to gluten and a number of other food additives (sulphites, MSG) and she drinks Scotch straight up without a problem.

Rusla Enthusiast

I used to get sick on everything except; rum, vodka and tequila. Now I know why because they are not grain based. Also on occasion I drink white wine and champagne.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VydorScope Proficient

well, Vingar is the same deal (execpting if you have a YEAST problme..) and neither my son nor I react to products with vingar in them. Thats as close as I get, I just not what you call a drinker :)

Lisa Mentor

Hey Radman,

Order some "Opus One" wine for your beer buddies, it will stop them in their tracks. As a doctor, I can only assume that you have very refined taste and budget. :)

Makers Mark is cheaper by far.

With all seriousness, I am glad that you are still here with us. Let us know you are feeling with your gluten-free diet. Has anyone told you about shampoos, shave cream, soap, lip moistu......

Guest nini

I don't drink anymore... but if I did, I would happily indulge in Kahlua... according to some list somewhere I read it was gluten-free... don't remember which list, but I "think" it's safe

radman Newbie

Hmmm

so this is interesting

Skoki's sister can drink scotch (grain based) without a problem despite gluten sensitivity,

but Rusla can only drink non-grain based alcohol (tequila, vodka, wine, rum).

Could it be that there are minute amounts of small protein fragments (peptides) in the grain distillations that only the very sensitive would react to?

This would relate to the threshold level of gluten that we all may have, and it may be somewhat difference for each of us.

I myself have strong gut reactions to beer, but minimal to scotch and bourbon. I suspect lots more gluten in the beer.

Others want to weigh in on there alcoholic beverage tolerances?

Rusla Enthusiast
well, Vingar is the same deal (execpting if you have a YEAST problme..) and neither my son nor I react to products with vingar in them. Thats as close as I get, I just not what you call a drinker :)

I am not much of a drinker either. I still have Cuban rum celebrating it's almost third anniversary of arriving to Canada and living in my house in it's virgin state.

Also Heinz white vinigar is gluten-free.

VydorScope Proficient

WEll distilling removes gluten, but thers no garrentee they did not add the gluten back in along the way by reusing contianers, mixing in the mash, etc.

radman Newbie

Lisa,

thanks.

I have seen references to shampoos and things, but I don't see how that can cause any reactions since the gluten protein is way to large to be absorbed across the skin. Besides my only reactions are in the gut.

And so far my gluten free diet is going very well, and my bowels amazingly continue to be nice normal sinkers (I can't even believe I am broadcasting this :o )

Today I had no breakfast (just to tick off my wife who always preaches about the most important meal of the day...). Just a large Starbucks.

At lunch, a Wendy's single with no bun (which was great) and a side of chili.

And for dinner roast pork loin (but it was basted with teriyaki sauce, which included soy sauce with wheat and the infamous modified food starch). These types of minimal exposures haven't been affecting me, but i am still trying to avoid. My wife made it not realizing, and I just ate it.

So that's kind of how its been going so far. It is getting easier.

Canadian Karen Community Regular

I am in the can't really drink anymore camp. Could never stomach beer anyway (of course, now I know why....) but man oh man, was I a vodka girl! Loved my Bloody Caesars (it's a Canadian thing :P ) until I found out clamato juice contains gluten :angry: Tried to get used to wine, but was never a wine connoiseur either! :lol:

I have found though that I can't tolerate any alcohol at all anymore. One drink of anything alcoholic and the next day I feel like I drank a 40 pounder of Newfie Screetch! This really sucks considering I used to be quite the party animal in my heyday! :lol: Talk about feeling old....... <_<

Vincent, perhaps you can start a new "male bonding" phenomenon - Altoids worshipping........ You can hang out, shoot pool, scratch yourselves, say prayers to the Great Altoid Goddess, and hope you get some!

:lol::rolleyes:B);)

Hugs!

Karen

Lisa Mentor

Karen, you alway surprize me, yet even now. I wish I had half of your humor. Radman does not know about altoids, but I sure he would like an explaination. :D:D

Radman - all modifide food starch in the US is corn based and therefore is gluten free. FYI.

Sweet deams...yawn.

VydorScope Proficient
Karen, you alway surprize me, yet even now. I wish I had half of your humor. Radman does not know about altoids, but I sure he would like an explaination. :D:D

I dont think we should, its more fun if he has to think it up himself...... :ph34r:

Canadian Karen Community Regular
I dont think we should, its more fun if he has to think it up himself...... :ph34r:

Oh c'mon, you expect me to fall for that???? :lol:;)

C'mon, be honest, how many of you guys have PMed him already, huh....HUH!!!!!! Fess up! :D:P

Hugs!

Karen

Rusla Enthusiast
Hmmm

so this is interesting

Skoki's sister can drink scotch (grain based) without a problem despite gluten sensitivity,

but Rusla can only drink non-grain based alcohol (tequila, vodka, wine, rum).

Could it be that there are minute amounts of small protein fragments (peptides) in the grain distillations that only the very sensitive would react to?

This would relate to the threshold level of gluten that we all may have, and it may be somewhat difference for each of us.

I myself have strong gut reactions to beer, but minimal to scotch and bourbon. I suspect lots more gluten in the beer.

Others want to weigh in on there alcoholic beverage tolerances?

You may be on to something. I could never understand why if I even smelled beer why I would vomit. Also when my shampoos were heavy with wheat, my scalp would break out. Now, if I even get a few crumbs into anything I get violently ill.

psawyer Proficient

Distillation is a two-stage process. First, the substance is heated to create vapor. Then, the vapor is cooled in a condenser so that some fractions of the vapor condense out as liquid.

Alcohol is a small molocule, C2H5OH, with a boiling point lower than water. When distilling spirits, the temperature of the boiler is low, relatively speaking. The gliadin (gluten) molecule is huge by comparision, and does not pass into the vapor. Vincent is right that the distillate can be contaminated after the fact by the addition of gluten, but this is quite rare.

Although the gliadin does not pass into the distillate, some smaller molecules can. This is why rye tastes different from bourbon and scotch. In each case, some elements from the original grain are light enough to vaporize in the boiler and make their way into the final product. This is where the distinct taste originates. Some celiacs react to these components. It is not unusual for a celiac to have other, sometimes complicated, food sensitivities.

Most of us can tolerate distilled spirits and distilled vinegar, regardless of the source. A minority react when the source is certain types of grain, even though it is accepted by most experts that there is no gluten in the distillate.

You have to consider your own situation, and make your own decision. Personally, I consider all distilled spirits and vinegars to be safe for me.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Sorry, Lisa, I wasn't clear. what I meant by age is that until the age of 44 I had no stomach pains or diarrhea that anyone could have associated with celiac; the only thing I've ever had was a DH-type rash (once) and about 30 years of reflux, but that's at least partly explained by my hiatal hernia. The only things I've ever been able to associate with diarrhea were coffee (even one cup!) and chocolate cake or brownies. Chocolate chip cookies--never a problem. I'mnot even sure I have celiac. What I am sure of is that going off gluten cleared up bloating that I hadn't even realized that I had; I've had Hashimoto's for about 20 years now, and only just learned of the frequent co-concurrence of the two. I'm waiting for my latest bloodwork to see if going off gluten for 3 months had any effect on thyroid function.

Whoever takes pictures of Radman dancing on the tables, please post it ! ;)

We could sell T-shirts that say, "#5, with added attractions...." and donate profits to celiac research!

Rusla Enthusiast
on.

Whoever takes pictures of Radman dancing on the tables, please post it ! ;)

We could sell T-shirts that say, "#5, with added attractions...." and donate profits to celiac research!

And everybody would wan't to know what the "added attractions" are and those will be a big secret. I think those would be great t-shirts.

mouse Enthusiast

Since I have gone gluten-free I have a heck of a time holding my liquor. Two glasses of wine on an empty stomach puts me into the staggers. But, when we go out to dinner I order one drink and I drink Jack Daniels Black Label with coke in a tall glass. In my courting days with my hubby 43 years ago, I drank Boilermakers and drank everyone under the table. Now RADMAN, I certainly don't think that JACK IS A PANSY DRINK. :lol:

Guest Robbin

I am like another poster who said they couldn't even smell beer without getting sick. I always stick to ginger-ale or white wine. I like the idea of being the "designated driver".

Also, Radman, I was interested in your thoughts about the genetic links between celiac and other autoimmune diseases. I had the gene test done by enterolab and then I researched the gene marker for other illness associated with it that are known and have found (no surprise) type I diabetes (my son has it),type II diabetes (other family members), multiple sclerosis, scleroderma, lupus.

I have many neurological symptoms and that is what prompted me to search further. This overlap of autoimmune diseases may be why so many have severe reactions and some pretty scary illnesses associated with celiac--thanks for your input on an angle I have been "researching".

tarnalberry Community Regular
Tif, I might not understand the desire to drink, but one thing I do understand is male interaction. Its completely different then female interaction, and i doubt I could explain... but they would likly value him over the beverage AND give him heck over it.

I've always gotten along better with males than females (I can count my female friends on one hand, male tales more), and do realize what you're saying, but have never seen the males take the 'good natured ribbing' so far that giving him a bad time over it was a serious problem. Yeah, I'd seem them making a joke about it every time they go out, and so on, but truely calling him out as a pansy is different, and mean spirited. None of my male friends have done that, in my knowledge. Of course, in my group of male friends, it was considered acceptable to simply choose not to drink because you didn't want to! Gasp! Even if you were a man! (You might take your fair share of grief over it, but that was all a part of it. :-) They still respected your decision.)

But I hear there are people who won't take 'no' for an answer, and to them, I say, bring on the Ciroq. :-P

Archived