This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Omg...i Might Be On To Something

Rachel--24

tom Contributor
:D A chick! :D

Tom, It's good that you can let it out. I think that now that you're feeling better physically, the old feelings and the what if's that you couldn't deal with before and missed out on are bound to come to the surface.

I really never had "what might've been" thoughts until ~July. Never. Wondered plenty about whether I'd be ill until the day I died tho. Anyone in our position *has* to wonder that.

(Psssssst it's not true for the proactive)

I had a lot of that last year, so I understand exactly where you're coming from. ;) When these things bubble back up--they come on hard!

It really did come on a lot harder than I ever could've imagined. Ended up not just having the blues - more like Holly Golightly's "mean reds". (Any Breakfast at Tiffany's fans out there?)

(P.S. Thx Patti)

Jeesh--good luck with your move. We have to be out of here on the 29th of next month--and as of today have not found another house :o If we don't get our butts in gear and make a decision, we may end up on Judy's doorstep :lol:

Yipes!! :o Good luck finding a place! (Not to belittle a doorstep as fine as I'm sure Judy's must be :) )

All I can think about now is how big that sigh of relief will be once it's settled. <phew!>

Yay Rachelville Digest!!

Dear tom,

There you are, tomatha! :lol: Hey, on the bright side, if you are turning into a chick, you will be able to have voting rights! Did you think of that? As far as I am concerned, a good cry is sometimes important to relieve emotional stress. All of that bottled up inside is not good for you.

ROFL, but I just go by 'tom' now :lol:

You know sensitive post-ops can be. :huh:

My grandmother is slowly wasting away from Alzheimer's, and I cannot go see her. Feeling sorry you could not spend more time with your brothers is not strange or unusual. However, they would want you to live life to the fullest now that you can. They are with you, in your heart, soul, and mind. Live for them! Losing your brothers reminds you of how precious life is, and how short it actually is.

:( I hope you get more opportunity soon to see your grandma.

And I DO often think of living life to the fullest FOR them now that I can, since they can't continue to do so. And believe me, they *really* did.

Only a couple more days until you get the keys! SJ all the way, baby! It is going to be great! You can go to the beach, and your favorite coffee house. Maybe you will run into that seagull that stole the sausage at that barbecue again!

LMAO - that studly, bold, hero amongs seagulls.

Got keys!! Yesterday was crazy bad tho. I call it "All the stress of moving day w/out any of MY stuff getting moved."

Somehow John thought it ok to not only go into work on HIS moving day, but also to spend a few hrs at a pub quaffing EIGHT 20oz 'pints' of assorted english ales. WHILE the movers could've used direction from the owner of all the stuff!!! :angry:

P.S. Ami!! Hope u had a Happy Birthday the other day!! :):)

P.P.S. Thought I'd posted this before. Connection problems at John's weird prev apt w/ metal roof made me save it to Notepad. I hope I'm not double posting it tho. Most was written a couple days ago.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 33.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ami27 Apprentice
P.S. Ami!! Hope u had a Happy Birthday the other day!! :):)

Thanks Tom! I did have a great b-day thanks to my awesome husband and sons :)

Congrats on the keys and I hope you get settled quickly. I know you're happy just to be there.

dlp252 Apprentice

OMGOSH!!!! I just threw my back out! Holy heck...I was trying to straighten up the livingroom a bit and I picked up a life sized West Highland White Terrier statue to move it someplace and I guess I was angled weird, cuz I felt the sharp pain almost immediately (although sharp it was barely noticable if that makes any sense). Instead of putting the stupid thing down, which I didn't want to do because I didn't want it in that spot anymore and the pain didn't seem that bad, lol, I carried it to the new location...the whole time feeling the pain intensify. It doesn't hurt if I am absolutely still, but moving in any direction, sitting, standing, walking, bending over, stooping, etc. causes pain. Darned statue isn't even heavy...it can't be more than 10-15 pounds and that's like nothing to me, lol, especially lifting it with two hands. Heck I regularly lift more than that with one hand so it had to be the WAY I picked it up. I've had ice on it and now heat...not sure which is better, but I'm thinking heat because it seems like a spasm maybe. :unsure:

[edited out stuff about Co-Q10 because stupid AOL lost my connection while I was editing it and deleted half the post! Grrrr! Sorry but I don't have the energy to redo it.]

Rachel--24 Collaborator
OMGOSH!!!! I just threw my back out!

:o Oh No Donna!!!

I agree that it was probably the way you lifted. Like you really need this now that you've started feeling a little better!! :(

I hope the pain subsides soon!

Stupid statue! :angry:

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Ami.....happy belated birthday!! :)

ami27 Apprentice

I've had ice on it and now heat...not sure which is better, but I'm thinking heat because it seems like a spasm maybe. :unsure:

I hope it's feeling better soon....nothing worse than a hurt back. I remember a chiropractor I used to go to say that alternating heat and ice works best in the beginning.

ami27 Apprentice

Thanks Rachel :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AndreaB Contributor

I hope it doesn't turn out to be too terribly bad and you feel better in no time. :(

Ditto. Happy Birthday!!!!

confusedks Enthusiast

Ahh! That is scary about titanium. We are looking into spinal surgery for my back problems. They are getting worse and worse. Breathing is even painful now because it sends shooting pains down my back and leg! :o We have an appointment on October 31st (Halloween!!!) at Children's Hospital LA with their top orthopedic surgeon. Now I am really nervous about putting titanium in my body! It's not like I don't already have enough energy issues...who knows what that would do to me?? Sorry, I'm so overwhelmed with all this. It's so annoying nobody knows what to do anymore!

Kassandra

tom Contributor
Ahh! That is scary about titanium. . . . . . . . . .. . . . Now I am really nervous about putting titanium in my body!

My mom got several titanium bracket-looking things put on vertabrae last yr and has never felt better. (Ok maybe better in her 20s - but maybe not. She's 72) She'd been having trouble w/ the most basic physical tasks before the surgery. After? She actually went skiing last winter!! :)

confusedks Enthusiast

Tom,

OMG! I LOVE TO HEAR THAT!!!!!!!!!! I read up on some stuff about people who had spinal fusions, etc. and they were all saying terrible things about the pain being worse than pre-surgery. But I don't think anyone who had a great recovery would be posting on the internet, kinda like here on the message boards. Do you mind if I ask where your mom lives? How did she find her doctor? Thanks again for that...:)

Kassandra

tom Contributor
But I don't think anyone who had a great recovery would be posting on the internet,

Ya got dat right.

Do you mind if I ask where your mom lives? How did she find her doctor? Thanks again for that...:)

Glad to be of service, Kassandra. :)

She's in Phx. Surgeon probably recommended by her orthopedist (that's bone guy right? :unsure: ), who was prob rec by someone else. (Not much help there eh?)

I swear to you, spinal surgery has made incredible strides in the last decade.

I don't know where any talk of titanium being bad originated, but to me it's a material w/ some wonderful & very useful properties.

A few months ago, my Uncle had some used in his neck surgery, and I saw him last month and he's very pleased. And even surprised that his neck feels so well.

I actually have a jpg xray of mom's titanium-ized vertabrae, but I'm in SJ and it's on the pc in Phx. Sent Susie-CA a copy tho. Maybe she still has it if you wanted to see soon. It *does* look very weird in the pic but WOW :blink: did it ever do its job.

She had been sure she'd never do anything 1/10th as physical as skiing again.

NoGluGirl Contributor

Dear Andrea,

Scars can do damage from what Rachel has said. I have some myself. :( I hope they are not adding to things. It is difficult to say. Without ART or BioSet, I do not think I will ever know. Hopefully, your husband is alright and no damage is being done.

Dear Ami,

ART has practitioners scattered about. Rachel knows Scott. His site is The Better Health Guy. I need to ask him about that and BioSet. It is doubtful we have anyone anywhere near here that does it.

I would be scared of titanium implants anyway. That makes you an awful good conductor for lightening! :blink: I hope you do not play golf! Here is some trivia for you: golfer Lee Trevino has been struck by lightening 3 times! Whoever said lightening never strikes twice has apparently never met him! :lol:

The cilantro likely redistributed the metals. You have to take a strong binder to get rid of it. Cilantro can mobilize, but not necessarily remove metals. Supplementation is essential for properly preparing the body for chelation. You have to be very careful with that stuff!

Happy late birthday! :) I wish I had known sooner! It sounds like you had a good birthday. What all did you do? Did you have a big gluten-free cake?

Dear Rachel,

Cilantro is something I knew could be used for metals. I remember you posting about it before. Thank you for the information you found! It is good to have! I still need to copy and paste it into a Word document.

I do not have titanium, but do have scars. I hope they are not doing anything nasty. There are four small ones from the gallbladder surgery in 2003. Another scar is on my elbow from a fall I had on my bicycle when I was young. I think that is it.

I am glad you can eat eggs from the microwave! Maybe microwaves are not such a bad thing after all! :lol: Since they kill the sulfur, egg yolks are tolerable for you! :) Watch out, though. Eggs can explode!

If pressure builds up in them, it can pop and hit you in the eye. I did not know this, but someone else on the forum told me a nurse said he was lucky he did not go blind from it! Who knew eggsplosions were so dangerous? :o RiceGuy told me about it. He sure was careful after that!

Dear Donna,

I am so sorry to hear about your back! :( That is awful! It is all that freakin' statue's fault! :angry: Are you going to be able to work? Do you think a massage could help? Meanwhile, at least you have the cruise to look forward to!

Dear Judy,

I did not know they used titanium for hip replacements. I always wondered what they were made of! :lol: Now I know!

Maybe yours is not causing you trouble. Some people do fine. Individual sensitivity is common with people.

Some people react badly to composite fillings in their teeth, for instance. Others do fine with them. Although synthetic materials are not natural, they are not problematic for everyone. Even though they may not be best for our biochemistry, other materials can be much worse. This varies greatly upon the person's system. We all are unique to a point.

Dear Kassandra,

That is terrible about the back pain. Dad has a pinched nerve, and that has given him major problems at times. The doctor believing the sciatica is just a manifestation of depression is absurd! :rolleyes: Excruciating pain coming out of nowhere is not imagined by any means. I have an idea. At your next appointment, smack the moron upside the head, and tell him that he does not really have a concussion, that he is just imagining it because he is depressed. :D

Those new surgical procedures for back problems are amazing. One called Vax-D is popular here. I am not quite sure how it work, but it is actually not surgery. They just basically decompress the spine. Implant techniques are used here as well. Vertibrae fusion methods have come a long way from what they were even a few years ago. I can see why you would be reluctant to getting titanium implants.

Dear tom,

I do not think many of us wondered what could have been until later on down the path to wellness. Once we go through that, we get depressed. Let me just say, my relatives do not help with this. They are really good at bringing up points that further you into the bottomless pit of despair. A lot of my depression is caused by this negative energy projected by everyone around me.

The back surgery your mother had sounds very helpful! I am happy to hear it went well. :) What exactly did they do?

What did the procedure consist of? Is there a site about it?

Living life to its fullest is something I plan to do soon. I am tired of being stuck on the sidelines. Life is not a spectator sport! I feel everyone in my family is doing this on purpose, trying to hold me here against my will. This flipping back and forth is so draining for me. One minute they are agreeing to do the testing, the next they are arguing about it! :blink:

Your brothers would be proud. They may even be right there with you. Most people never notice that stuff. It is so funny. Just because they are gone does not mean they are "gone". You know what I mean? Some of they ways they try to communicate are quite low-key, like flickering lights and things.

Yeah, I can see why you might be a bit sensitive now! :lol: Making such a drastic transition to a chick is not easy. There is so much more to deal with. Take for instance, having to spend more time on your hair and make-up! :lol: Do not even get me started on having to shave our legs!

Moving is stressful! At least you have the keys! That is a start. It is a good thing, too. John does not seem like he would have helped you get in. I cannot believe the dude was out drinking while you dealt with all the other crap!

Dear Mia,

I hope you can have eggs! That would help you get some much needed protein! I like to fix them hard-boiled ahead of time. Then I can eat them when I am hungry. Waiting for food just is something I cannot do!

Dear Carla,

Parsley is supposed to be good to flush out toxins. I read about that before. It also sweetens bad breath. There are many good qualities in that little leafy green herb. Maybe it will help with your herx!

I have never had cilantro, I do not think. It may or may not be easy to get around here. Fresh stuff is so expensive! Dried spices and herbs are more economical, but they have mold. :( Having some vanilla bean would be nice. So would using fresh cinnamon!

That pea salad sounds good! Feel free to post the recipe! I know I may have to wait until you are up to it, because of the herx. I hope it improves soon! Peas are one of my favorites, but I cannot overdo them, or my stomach cramps because they are a legume.

Sincerely,

Jin

confusedks Enthusiast

Tom,

Thank you! :) I also would like to know what procedure she had done. What was the spinal problem they were treating?

Jin,

I did something like the VAX-D thing not too long ago and the pain has only gotten worse. <_< It is a bit more complicated than a disc because my entire spine and hips, etc. are off because of the curvature. If I have surgery, they will take bone from my hips and place them in between my vertebrae to un-wedge them and get them back to their normal, square-ish shape. Then they put titanium stuff (rods, cages, etc.) in and leave it there for a while. Then you go back and get them taken out, if your bones grow the way they're supposed to. They call this a spinal fusion. Since most people with Schuermann's Disease don't have complications, it makes things really difficiult because I have had many complications since my dx about a year ago. Whenever I wore the brace for the curve, it made the disc worse. It's a nightmare! Lol. My uncle told me since I'm going to CHLA on Halloween, I should dress up as a hunchback...I told him I wouldn't have to dress up! LOL!!! :lol:

Well, off to school...at 5.30!!!!

Kassandra

Rachel--24 Collaborator
I don't know where any talk of titanium being bad originated, but to me it's a material w/ some wonderful & very useful properties.

Its not that titanium is "bad"....its that some people are reactive to it...which would cause a great deal of stress to their body. Whats fine for one person may not be for the next person.

You obviously cannot tolerate soy...is it "bad" for everyone?? Is everyone gonna lose their health eating soy?? No....some people eat soy everyday and feel great. Its the same with gluten or anything else we put into our bodies....its individual.

NoGluGirl Contributor

Dear Kassandra,

Having a curved spine probably would be horribly painful when they try to stretch you out. I am going to do some research on your condition. Maybe I could find something you did not know about. It is worth a try! The fusion may do the trick for you. Thank you for explaining it to me about how they do the procedure. It sounds interesting!

Dear Rachel,

I agree every system is different. I cannot eat strawberries. Even so, I do not tell everyone they will kill them. I wish I could have them, but a rash is troublesome. Plus, the last time I ate something with strawberries in it, I had trouble breathing. That scared me a lot.

Sincerely,

Jin

P.S. Rachel and Mia, I see you!

mftnchn Explorer
I have a question about Lyme for you. Did you used to get worn out after a hot shower? Standing up in the shower makes me so tired! Is this normal? I know the mold in there does not help, but worry there is more to it.

No I haven't noticed that. Just the sunshine wiping me out.

The alkalinizing is interesting. Citrus was not on the top of my list of expected alkaline foods. They always tell you to avoid it for acid reflux. Apparently, that is not correct. I know alkalinizing the body is good to help with killing Candida. Candida survives best in an acidic environment.

Yeah, I agree this in interesting. I am going to try this and try to notice if it helps. I am running out of charcoal and digestive enzymes, so I am going to likely have to figure out some other approaches for a couple of months until I get back to the USA.

Everyone--I'm off on another trip for 9 days. Doing okay generally, but had a really bad weekend--fatigue and allergy symptoms. This week I am going to drop my antibiotics as my doc suggested, just for the week, to give my body a rest. Still keeping a log, hopefully this will clarify things over time.

NoGluGirl Contributor

Dear Sherry,

I found out Neurally Mediated Hypotension causes the weakness in the shower! :o My blood pressure gets low. I get sick from it and feel like fainting even when just standing. Susie says she has similar symptoms. My doctor told me some salt should help. Carla and Donna both get low blood pressure from the Lyme.

Alkaline foods are supposed to help kill Candida. I have a list. I might try to center my diet around them for a while. It cannot hurt to see how it goes. Would you like me to post a copy or PM it to you? I can do that if you like.

Have a nice trip! We will be anxious to hear from you when you get back. Where are you going this time? Travel is fun, but exhausting. I know one thing, I would not mind a change of scenery!

Sincerely,

Jin

CarlaB Enthusiast
No I haven't noticed that. Just the sunshine wiping me out.

Same here. Last summer I would only go outside in the sun late in the day. I tried to get some sun every day as I really think it's good for the immune system, but I could only stand a little bit.

During that good stretch where I was doing GREAT, I went to the pool for a couple hours in the middle of the day ... swam and everything ... I felt FINE. So, I really think it's the Lyme causing the sun sensitivity even though my PA says that many people are sun-sensitive.

I liked the Cipro. :( I hope the Levaquin has the same results, and soon.

Jin, my blood pressure was low, but is normal now. :) Some things are getting better. :)

My kitchen gets ripped out tomorrow.

Janeti Apprentice

Carla,

Hello, I was wondering how long can I use the oregano oil at a time for? I used it for almost 3 weeks, and I stopped because I was glutened, and I got really sick from it. I couldn't imagine putting anything in my stomach because I was so nauseous. I thought that I remembered seeing somewhere to use it for 15 days, then stop for 15. Also, how long did it take until you noticed a difference? I feel now that I've stopped since last Wednesday, my symptoms are worse than ever :angry: I'd really like to start taking it again, but not sure if I should. Thanks, Janet

dlp252 Apprentice

Hey Jin! Yep, I am at work and COULD probably stay all day, but I'm not going to. I've called (although had to leave a message cuz they didn't answer the phone) the PT/chiropractor's office to see if I can get in this morning. The pain is not excruciating fortunately, but it is there, and even now sitting and typing I can feel it in the low back which is usually not an issue for me. I can feel it every time I stoop or bend in any way, and sitting, or standing for too long. So, as soon as they call me I'll leave, hopefully stop for the appointment, then go home and put heat on it.

I took an epsom salt bath yesterday evening which didn't help a lot, but didn't hurt either. Spent the entire day (nearly) laying on a heating pad or warmy bag. That seemed to help more than anything.

AndreaB Contributor
Everyone--I'm off on another trip for 9 days. Doing okay generally, but had a really bad weekend--fatigue and allergy symptoms. This week I am going to drop my antibiotics as my doc suggested, just for the week, to give my body a rest. Still keeping a log, hopefully this will clarify things over time.

Have a good trip. I'll be looking for updates when you can.

I took an epsom salt bath yesterday evening which didn't help a lot, but didn't hurt either. Spent the entire day (nearly) laying on a heating pad or warmy bag. That seemed to help more than anything.

I love those heating pads! Glad you were able to get to work today. Hope the PT's can fit you in today too though. That's be really nice. :)

Carla,

Hope the kitchen work goes smoothly for you and that you start feeling better soon.

dlp252 Apprentice
I love those heating pads! Glad you were able to get to work today. Hope the PT's can fit you in today too though. That's be really nice. :)

Yep, they got me in at noon, so I'll leave in about an hour.

tom Contributor

Kassandra,

I'll email Mom for details.

FYI on Titanium:

The outstanding biocompatibility of titanium was already recognized by early researchers. Titanium has an extreme low toxicity and is well tolerated by both bone and soft tissue. Animal experiments have revealed that the material may be implanted for an extensive length of time; fibrous encapsulation of the implants is minimal to nonexistant. Histopathological examinations have failed to reveal any cellular changes adjacent to titanium implants. Careful examination of tissues adjacent to titanium have revealed neither giant cells nor macrophages, nor any other signs of inflammation. The material has been found to be safe in intravascular applications, owing to its high electronegativity and passive surface. For the same reason titanium does not cause hypersensitivity, which makes it the metal of choice in patients suspected of being sensitive to metals. For several decades, special titanium implants have been used with outstanding success in patients with histories of severe allergic reactions. Titanium implants are extensively used in cardiovascular, spinal surgery, orthopedic and dental surgery as well as in reconstructive and plastic surgery.

In view of the above mentioned, titanium fibre structures offer very promising possibilities for the development of a new peritoneal catheter.

From - Open Original Shared Link

rinne Apprentice
OMGOSH!!!! I just threw my back out! ....

Donna, I hope your back is a little better today. Sending gentle hugs. :)

Rachel, I'm sorry I missed the information on scars, have you reposted it? Should I go look for it? I have two significant scars, lower abdomen and I recall Dr.Huffy saying there were injections available that helped with scar tissue but I never looked into it any further.

Not a great day, kind of tired.

Archived