This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Applesauce For Dummies

wonkabar

wonkabar Contributor

We're taking the kids apple picking tomorrow. I not only want to make applesauce with them when we get home, BUT I'd like to preserve some for later. Any how-to tips and/or suggestions for canning would be most appreciated! Thanks! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

AndreaB Contributor

I just cooked up pans of appels with water, lemon juice....I forget what else. You could probably find recipes online.

As far as canning, if you don't have a water bath you could use a big stock pot a put a rack on the bottom (cooling rack) and cook for 20 more minutes. I have a friend who cans that doesn't even do that anymore. She warms the jars in the oven, places the hot, cooked fruit in and puts the lid on. The hot fruit seals the jar.

I would put my applesause in freezer bags and freeze it.

Lisa Mentor

Kristy:

Gosh, I'm not a cannner. But I think that a little lemon juice, will help the apples from turning brown on you.

Shirley, is the best one I know who can help you. Have some fun with your kids. :) . She hasn't posted in a while, and I can't remember her post name........but some of the vets will post for you. Hold on and they will kick in soon.

Lisa

wonkabar Contributor

Thanks so far!!!!!!!!!! :D

I've found a couple of basic applesauce recipes on-line. Thank God applesauce is gluten-free b/c both of my kids (3 1/2 and 21 months) *love* it!!! Mott's loves me just as much--$$$$ :lol: I thought this would be a fun gluten-free cooking activity; Zachary is at the age now where he has so much fun helping in the kitchen.

2Boys4Me Enthusiast
Kristy:

Gosh, I'm not a cannner. But I think that a little lemon juice, will help the apples from turning brown on you.

Shirley, is the best one I know who can help you. Have some fun with your kids. :) . She hasn't posted in a while, and I can't remember her post name........but some of the vets will post for you. Hold on and they will kick in soon.

Lisa

Her post name is Viola.

momandgirls Enthusiast

Applesauce is the easiest thing to make. Just put sliced and peeled apples in a pot - add a bit of water - not too much - about 1" or so - simmer until you get the consistency you want. You may need to add some sugar if the apples aren't too sweet. Cinnamon is good, too. Brown sugar is also good. It's hard to mess it up, really. What about baked apples? Peel and core apples and put them in a glass dish. Put in a bit of water. Fill the middles with a bit of brown sugar. Bake in the oven until they're soft. Delicious!

Luvs to Scrap Apprentice

I'm going to be making applesauce tomorrow too. I always freeze mine in freeze containers though. I just peel and slice apples and add a little water and cook on med low heat on the stove and keep stirring so you don't scorch them. (YUCK!) I've also microwaved apple pieces in a dish that lets the steam out for 5 minutes at a time until the apples are mushing and just smash them up. That worked well when my 1 1/2 year old was "helping" and I kept getting interrupted. It didn't matter if it took all day. I just add sugar to taste and yum! You can also cook the apples in the crockpot all day too. The apples seemed to brown worse when I did that but they tasted ok. Good luck. I know your kids will love homemade applesauce. It always tastes the best. :) Kendra

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lonewolf Collaborator

I don't peel or slice mine. Just quarter and cook with as little water as possible. Then I put it through an applesauce maker (also called a food mill) and all the yummy applesauce comes through and the skin and seeds stay in the basket. Then I mix in some cinnamon and maybe honey if the apples aren't sweet enough. I freeze it in plastic freezer containers.

If you have red apples the sauce will be a nice pink or brown.

wonkabar Contributor

Thanks so much! I figured the recipe was as basic as that but it almost seemed too easy...I didn't want to overlook something silly! :P

My biggest question was about the canning process. I'm *thrilled* to hear that some of you just freeze it; that'll be much easier to do with my little ones. How long does fresh applesauce keep in the fridge and freezer?

We're heading out later this morning. I can't wait; it's a beautiful fall day today! :D

AndreaB Contributor

Fresh would be about a week, frozen would be ok for up to a year.

jerseyangel Proficient

Freezing is so much easier--which is why I do it :lol:

I use McIntosh apples (I think they make the best applesauce). I peel, slice and cook in a big pot with a little water or cider. I cook covered until the apples start to disigrate, then cook uncovered until it's the way I like it. After it's done, I sprinkle with cinnamon, and stir.

Yea--fresh will keep about a week (but it probably won't last that long :P )

plantime Contributor

For fresh applesauce, I don't even cook the apples. I just put them in a blender and have at it. Yummy! You might also try drying some apples, my kids loved the dried apple slices for snacking on after school. They also enjoyed dried pear slices.

Luvs to Scrap Apprentice

Frozen lasts forever. We just got a new deep freeze so my husband emptied the one in the shop. Some applesauce had gotten buried from the summer of 2001 and we have been eating it and it is still good. (Of course usually we have it done within a year or two) It seems like apple trees produce better crops every other year so I often only get ahold of apples every other year. Today we made 34 1/2 pints for the freezer using the food mill my mom let me borrow. (Lots easier than coring and slicing) Yummy!! Kendra

tarnalberry Community Regular

If you have any apples let, I encourage making apple butter too. Keep cooking down until it's just shy of burning. :) I like to add cinnamon, but that's me. (And no sugar, of course! :) ) Great on rice cakes!

Guest Viola

Hello everyone;

Been very busy with company all summer and dog show of course :D Sheba entertained again this year..even had the judge laughing...little brat didn't pass of course, entertaining doesn't get any points. :lol: Never mind, we had fun!

Yes, apple sauce is really easy, follow any of the above suggestions and you will do just fine. I do add a tiny amount of lemon juice to keep them looking nice and white. However, the color change doesn't hurt the taste at all.

Another suggestion is to freeze the apple slices and make gluten free apple betty. You can get a Graham cracker mix from Kinnikinnick or make your own with crushed almond slices, brown sugar, a bit of gluten free free flour and water to thicken.

Have fun with it! :P

Archived