This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Christmans In Melbourne ?

gfp

gfp Enthusiast

I'm meant to be spending X-MAS in the Melbourne suburbs with my girlfriends family.....g'ma etc.

However I want to see more but my girlfriend is nervous of travelling with my celiac disease. Or perhaps she just doesn't want to... who can tell ....

anyway afdter spending a day on a plane and a day back I'd like to see some neat stuff like the barrier reef or deserts....

can anyone give tips? How practical is it to travel gluten-free? Whre should I see?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

Where have you been hiding????! I've missed you around here!!

Are there places you could go for day trips and just pack the food for the day? If not, eating out all the time would be risky, but personally, I'd take it to be able to see some neat stuff -- minimizing it as much as possible. Be sure to bring lots of packaged foods in case you get somewhere you can't eat.

Never been to Australia! Mango is there now and writes every so often about all the gluten-free food she's been able to find. I'm sure she'll have great advice for you.

Mango04 Enthusiast

Hi Steve,

I haven't been to Melbourne yet but I've been in Syndey for a couple months. During the last 4-6 weeks of my trip I'll be backpacking up the East Coast and hopefully travelling to Hobart, Melbourne and Uluru as well. If I'm still alive when I go back to the States in December I'll be willing to state with confidence that yes, it is possible to travel gluten-free (I'm dairy and soy-free as well). I think I've managed to eat out only twice the entire time I've been here. I carry around cookware, cooking utensils, food etc. etc. Honestly, if you have access to a kitchen (as I have since I've been here), I don't think it's that much of a problem. You don't have to eat at restaurants when you travel. Of course I'm not living in the same health bubble I was in back home, but I feel it's worth the risk at this point in my life. I hope you decide to go and travel around a bit. I really really belive is doable...

tracey* Rookie

I live in Sydney, but I'm pretty sure Melbourne will be similiar and have some gluten-free options in restaurants. (Same goes for Queensland - where the Barrier Reef is - but I'm not so sure about NT/WA/SA where most of the desert is, as it's remote at times).

What I try to do is email/call ahead to any restaurants I might want to visit and ask if they have a gluten free menu or any item that is gluten free.

You can also order a hamper of food ahead of time from Open Original Shared Link and have it delivered to wherever you're staying. That should stock you up for a while!

My travel advice is to always carry around some rice crackers and something else you like that is gluten free, in an airtight container, and then check out the local shops to see what they have. If there's not much to eat, then at least you have a snack to tide you over.

Woolworths and Coles (the major supermarkets) have a range of gluten free food that you can pick up also.

gfp Enthusiast

We are staying with my girlfriends grandma over XMAS but we have an opportunity to travel after... though at the moment we need to book the return flights too.

Can anyone suggest an itinery.... something not too expensive and hopefully where we can find self catering easily?

I had thought of driving up to Queensland and spending new year on the reef???

gfp Enthusiast
Where have you been hiding????! I've missed you around here!!

Carla, I have been a little busy.... not to mention other things going on here ..???

anyway if you want to practice your Spanish you can see what I have been up to ...

Open Original Shared Link

incidentally almost all the photography is mine as well ... this in itself took a while!

Guest Robbin

gfp, I tried to click on your link and it wouldn't come up. What could that problem be? It happens a lot and as I am not very computer literate and my tech support is not here to help (my kid, lol), I am clueless (once again). :blink:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

Steve, It was all in English ... the link to me to a Ricardo Ramirez gallery, but it was all in English.

gfp Enthusiast
Steve, It was all in English ... the link to me to a Ricardo Ramirez gallery, but it was all in English.

Click on the Spanish flag :D (some of it is still in English since my Spanish is really bad! .. waiting on an Artist is like waiting on....???)

But also the two previous expo's (left column at bottom are all in spanish cos I copied the text) and am waiting to translate it to English and French...

seriously Carla, lots of Spanish :D if you click on Gallery (or Galeria) or the link you see the photo's i took... Open Original Shared Link

about 6-7 are not mine but from a previous catalog at the National Museum of art ... (Peurto Rico)

CarlaB Enthusiast

Very nice work.

Saz Explorer

Hi!

I know this is the travel forum, but you may want to go into the international room and post in some of the Aussie threads, there may actauly be some people from Melbourne there.

As far as genral places go, Muffin break do a gluten free muffin, The coffee club have a chocolate biscuit. these places can be found in shopping centres. Also many of our Mcdonalds have Mcafes attached and they will have a gluten free cake or tart ( they can be sold out if you are there later at night tho).

You may also find restaurunts by doing a google search for gluten-free places in Melbourne.

It is one of the biggest cities in this country, so I don't think you will have any trouble.

Also just be warned that some of the things that are gluten-free In US are NOT in here in Oz.

M&m and Cheetos are two of things that I can think of at the moment.

gfp Enthusiast
Hi!

I know this is the travel forum, but you may want to go into the international room and post in some of the Aussie threads, there may actauly be some people from Melbourne there.

As far as genral places go, Muffin break do a gluten free muffin, The coffee club have a chocolate biscuit. these places can be found in shopping centres. Also many of our Mcdonalds have Mcafes attached and they will have a gluten free cake or tart ( they can be sold out if you are there later at night tho).

You may also find restaurunts by doing a google search for gluten-free places in Melbourne.

It is one of the biggest cities in this country, so I don't think you will have any trouble.

Also just be warned that some of the things that are gluten-free In US are NOT in here in Oz.

M&m and Cheetos are two of things that I can think of at the moment.

Melbourne isn't so much the problem as travelling .... my girlfriends grandma is pretty gluten aware.. she is always sending recipes :D but my girlfriend is more worried if we hire a car and drive up the East coast what to expect....I don't want to be a winging pom in every place we try and stop....

I had hoped to drive up the coast road right up into Queensland and hopefully along the reef and do some diving but Im not sure what to expect.... I seem to find 2 types of photo's, staggering beautiful scenery and upmarket hotels ... though I guess I can just take a tent and camp???

CarlaB Enthusiast
staggering beautiful scenery and upmarket hotels ... though I guess I can just take a tent and camp???

Stay in a pricey hotel ... you can afford it.

mouse Enthusiast

Going up the coast to Sydney from Melbourne is more then a one day trip. It is a little over a day to do and the day is a long one. But certainly will worth the drive. I was not diagnosed when we did it, but I do know that there were hardly any places to eat as it was. I would probably pack a huge hamper and a cooler at her grandma's for the drive to Sydney. It should not be a problem to eat in Sydney. Then pack another hamper and cooler to go to the Barrier Reef. Hopefully someone will post about eating in that area. We flew into an island resort and so I don't even know what is available for eating areas. Keep in mind that they are not open late to eat as we are in the States. Do, you have an underwater camera? If you don't and snorkle or dive in the Reef, you will wish you had one with you. The schools of fish come right up to you and you can litterly touch them.

Saz Explorer

As far as driving, Like others have said you will most likely be best to stock up on things before you go. Some of places you make a stop at may be onl quite small and not very gluten-free friendly. Im not sure what part of the reef you are intending to go, but as far as traveling goes be aware that it won't just a few hours to get there. I think it would be at least a 2 day drive.

• 2 weeks later...
georgie Enthusiast

You will battle to do that long drive by New Year. Its a LOOONNNGG drive. Why not fly ? My road map says about 3000 miles from Melb to Barrier Reef ....

Mango04 Enthusiast

I'm thinking about doing a similair route, but in the opposite direction (from Cairns to Sydney). Am I nuts? I don't need much "gluten-free food" so to speak. Most pre-packaged stuff is out of the question for me b/c of other intolerances and such. As long as I have access to fruit, veggies, eggs, peanut butter and corn thins I'm good to go :). I def. won't be eating at any restaurants along the way. Anway, I'll probably be doing it in a few weeks, so gfp, I'll let you know how it goes. I won't be stopping at any of the pricey hotels either :P It's just too fun to show up at a backpacker hostel with my own pots pans and cooking utensils :D

Oh and I think it'll take me atleast 20 days. I've heard of people making it in two weeks, but that's the shortest amt. of time you need I think...

georgie Enthusiast

I did almost that length once and it is fun but is a long drive. Will you have a co driver? Rest often and walk to avoid blood clots and falling asleep at the wheel. Take lots of CDs and sing along. Have fun!

I'm thinking about doing a similair route, but in the opposite direction (from Cairns to Sydney). Am I nuts? I don't need much "gluten-free food" so to speak. Most pre-packaged stuff is out of the question for me b/c of other intolerances and such. As long as I have access to fruit, veggies, eggs, peanut butter and corn thins I'm good to go :). I def. won't be eating at any restaurants along the way. Anway, I'll probably be doing it in a few weeks, so gfp, I'll let you know how it goes. I won't be stopping at any of the pricey hotels either :P It's just too fun to show up at a backpacker hostel with my own pots pans and cooking utensils :D

Oh and I think it'll take me atleast 20 days. I've heard of people making it in two weeks, but that's the shortest amt. of time you need I think...

• 2 months later...
gfp Enthusiast
I'm thinking about doing a similair route, but in the opposite direction (from Cairns to Sydney). Am I nuts?

A very good question, it seems we are?

Everyone I mention it too seems to think Im nuts.... why not fly? Why would you want to go there?

In the end it was settled for me, I left my credit card at home (I only have one actual CREDIT) card the rest are debit cards and the card is sat at home next to my PC from booking the hotels for New Year.... and after bringing my liscense etc. it seems I can't hire a car without a credit card.

Very weird but it seems pretty much universal here.... ?? along with needing to send a fax to confirm internet bookings ?? and my debit cards not working in shops, only ATM's... and banks... all very weird... I went to the bank and asked for $20,000 and they asked me WHY I wanted it? Erm because no where accepts my card ????

So it looks like if we make the trip Ill have to buy a car (which is OK they seem pretty cheap here) so long as they will actually sell them for cash...??? (hence me wanting to get a decent amount of money out to buy a 2nd hand car we can just sell to a dealer at the other end)

On the plus side the gluten free stuff is everywhere.... found a great new gluten-free resto yesterday... Ill post its only open a couple of weeks. Tried the silly yak cafe Ill try and make a longer post since there doesn't seem much here on Melbourne itself...

Mango04 Enthusiast
A very good question, it seems we are?

:lol: I hear ya. I got so many different opinions on where I should go (but mostly, "it's too hot there, or it's too cold there..or you'll get eaten by a croc there." lol just go everywhere you can...It's all GREAT you can't lose (but do prepare for heat and intoxicated backpacker crowds in Queensland lol).

Make sure you see Great Ocean Road if you haven't already. I did the entire East Coast and that by far was the most beautiful sight on the mainland in my opinion. Tasmania was my favorite place by far, but Victoria is beautiful as well.

In terms of food in Melbourne, I found the organic section of the Queen Victoria Markets to be quite nice (yet really expensive) and there was a great cafe called Sustenance on Brunswick St. in Fitzroy that I also really enjoyed.

Good luck with the car. I ended up taking the Greyhound down the coast from Cairns to Byron and then flying to Melbourne and Tassie but ppl seem to have great luck with buying and selling cars over there. (I'm sad I'm not there anymore by the way :( ) Happy travels...

gfp Enthusiast
:lol: I hear ya. I got so many different opinions on where I should go (but mostly, "it's too hot there, or it's too cold there..or you'll get eaten by a croc there." lol just go everywhere you can...It's all GREAT you can't lose (but do prepare for heat and intoxicated backpacker crowds in Queensland lol).

LOL Its so true, too hot/cold

I was even told I'd be lost without a car but the trains seem to work pretty good round Melbourne.... and you can always WALK which seems so obvious ... funny thing I asked a jogger for directions to a Mall only a few miles away and she said why do you want to walk when you can get a train???? (actualkly 2 trains so it was probably still quicker to walk but seemed especially strange coming from a jogger?)

Make sure you see Great Ocean Road if you haven't already. I did the entire East Coast and that by far was the most beautiful sight on the mainland in my opinion.
That's the plan ... need a car though! Buying one is easy enough and presuming I don't mind loosing a bit I don't see why it wopuld be hard to sell (and 2 weeks hire is $1000 so if I buy a car for 2000-3000 and sell it 1000 less ???)
Tasmania was my favorite place by far, but Victoria is beautiful as well.
Tasmanian will have to wait.... its freezing here until today... been in the low 20's .. BRRRR

In terms of food in Melbourne, I found the organic section of the Queen Victoria Markets to be quite nice (yet really expensive) and there was a great cafe called Sustenance on Brunswick St. in Fitzroy that I also really enjoyed.

There seem lots of places, awareness seems HIGH but actual GFness low ???

For instance they told me some smoothies were gluten-free then I noticed they had used the same blender for non gluten-free stuff...??? so Im a bit cautious....

Anyone what's the deal with Heinz Ketchup ???

Everywhere else its say's gluten-free .... but here no mention???

Jestgar Rising Star

so jealous.......

gfp Enthusiast
so jealous.......

Yep I honestly haven't seen so much gluten-free food ANYWHERE before.....

The only problem is seperating the 'wheat from the chaf' so to speak.... in that lots of places say gluten-free but obviously mean low gluten-free or lower risk...

We walked a good few miles yesterday to get to a cafe which advertised gluten-free and then after they guy proudly went what was gluten-free and what isn't he dropped cous-cous all over one of the supposed gluten-free dishes in the display (as far as Im concerned they shouldn't be in the same cabinet but thats another story) anyway, its hard to tell if Im being reglutened or its just the hangover from the plane journey where I had to give in and eat... (52 hours and NO food or liquids allowed on plane) so I gave in in Saigon...

Anyway it seems mainly intestinal so just stomach cramps and the brain fog isn't too bad...but really looking forwards to not stopping with well meaning relatives :D

Mango04 Enthusiast

The other thing I found was so much of the gluten-free food over there was full of other junk I didn't want to eat. It is more mainstream, which is good, but if the label says "preservative, preservative, milk, preservative" I'm not going to eat it just b/c it's gluten-free. CC isn't much of a concern there either. Honestly though, I've never found a place besides this board where CC is such a major concern, so that was to be expected (don't get me wrong though, I do believe in CC :)) I just stuck to the basics for five months. When you asked about the ketchup it occured to me I actually never ate any condiments the whole time I was there...except olive oil and balsamic...and did you actually find something called ketchup?? LOL (I heard they called it tomato sauce, but I never actually checked)

There were a couple good organic cafes I found but other than that I avoided restaurants, cafes and what not. I did appreciate the fact that Corn Thins were so readily available though. Those beat gluten-free bread any day.

Would they really not let you bring food on the plane? That's a bit nuts. I had a whole backpack full of food with me when I flew. I also ordered the raw vegetarian meals so at least I had some fruits and veggies on the plane. Well I hope your trip back is easier...

amber Explorer

Firstly whereabouts in Melbourne are you staying as I may have local suggestions.

Here is a list of some suggestions for gluten friendly cafes etc. in Melbourne or inner suburbs:

Pizza Piazza171 Chapel Street

Windsor

(This has gluten free pasta and pizza - we have eaten there a few times - very good). If you do some shopping in Chapel Street you can then go there for lunch or dinner. During Christmas period it will be closed on December 24th, 25th and 26th and closed on 31st December and 1st January. Otherwise open every day. Open 7 days we week 11am till late.

Mr. Wolf pizza in St. Kilda

9 Inkerman Street, St. Kilda

This is a cool and trendy pizza cafe in St. Kilda renowned for its excellent pizzas. I discovered on their website (www.mrwolf.com.au) that they have a gluten free options for the pizzas. Definately worth a try.

Silly Yaks

105 High Street, Northcote 9482 3999

All gluten free cafe.

I have found many restaurants are very gluten aware. It is mainly the ethnic type places that may not understand though Indian food is often gluten free.

If you are travelling up the east coast there was a suggestion in the Australian Coeliac Magazine for a couple of places in the Newcastle area which got great reviews from this particular reader.

Sesames - A Taste of Asia

52 Glebe Road

The Junction, Newcastle ( phone 4969 2033) Open Monday to Saturday for dinner and Wednesday to Friday for lunch.

Also a suggsetion for a stop on that long drive at a very surprising location.

Caltex Garage near Tuggerah on the F3 Freeway.

There is a fast food outlet there called 'Olivers'.

They had excellent gluten free awareness and she was able to eat sushi with gluten free soy sauce, muffins, soup, various salads all with gluten free dressings. It also has a no preservatives, additives or artificial colourings policy. Apparently there is a 'Olivers' on both sides of the highway.

Also go to this website for suggestions all over Australia:

Open Original Shared Link

Also if you go to Cairns please let me know as my sister lives there and is a Coeliac and will give you some suggestions.

Archived