Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

girlfromclare

What About Sausages?

I was just wondering what you all use in replace of sausages? We have embarked on our gluten-free diet and it was going kind of ok until my son had sausages. They love sausages in our house. Anyway, there was - ahem -problems!!!... after that. I see that all sausages and bound together using flour. I havent been able to find a gluten-free sausage... even the meat substitutes are bound with flour. Any suggestions anyone?

Thanks again for everything.

liz x

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

humm...as I recall, Jimmy Dean and Johnsonville (except beer& Brats) are gluten free.

Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

oscar myer pork links i think too~

We eat Isernio's chicken breakfast sausage and have never had a problem. I get them at Trader Joe's.

Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

There's a local sausage maker around here: Uncle Charlies that's gluten free. (I got the Italian hubby to eat gluten-free pasta, but he wanted the italian sausage!) you may also find a local butcher that makes their own.

In addition to the ones already cited, hormel's Little Sizzlers are gluten-free:

http://www.hormel.com/faq/faq.asp?id=37072...uerytext=gluten

Oscar Meyer "2/3 less fat turkey sausage" is AMAZING. My husband and I ate it before I went gluten-free, so I was happy to see that it is indeed gluten-free. I has a wonderful spicy flavor that is excellent in soups and cajun dishes. And it's ridiculously cheap - $1.68 at walmart for a package of 2 sausages.

ELIZABETH

gluten-free (04.17.2006)

corn-free (03.27.2007)

xanthan gum-free

I haven't found many sausages that aren't gluten free. I like ... I can't remember the brand! Dang it. I get them at Whole Foods. Trader Joe's has some as well. The only ones I've found with gluten are ones with soy sauce, acutally, though it wouldn't shock me to see ones that have other ingredients that are forbidden.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

tiffany.....do you mean Cantella's sausage at Trader Joe's? They are my favorite....the cilantro/bell pepper is YUMMY! Kinda pricey.....but I eat one eveyr couple of days with two eggs and that's a good breakfast. :)

SUSIE

Diagnosed January 2006

"I like nonsense. It wakes up the brain cells." ~Dr. Seuss

tiffany.....do you mean Cantella's sausage at Trader Joe's? They are my favorite....the cilantro/bell pepper is YUMMY! Kinda pricey.....but I eat one eveyr couple of days with two eggs and that's a good breakfast. :)

I think I've had theirs as well, but I usually go with the TJ's own brand if I'm getting it from there. WF's is closer. :(

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

I have been buying Old Wisconsin beef sticks and pepperoni sticks. Our store now has sausages as well. I buy them because they list Gluten free on the label. Like to support those companies that support us.

Nanny B

Spokane, Washington

<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'>Gluten-free since December 2004.

Biopsy negative. Diet response positive.

</span>

Thanks everone. I will certainly have a good look around for any of the brands you mentioned... although as I should have mentioned, I live in Ireland so chances of finding any of them are probably pretty slim. However, seeing as you have all found gluten free sausages of some description, then there must be gluten-free ones here as well. I have looked in the past but they mostly seem to conatin wheatflour which is gluten right? I really appreciate all the help though. Thanks so much. Doest it make things so much easier to know that so many other people are all going through the same thing and have been through the problems and can offer advice. Well, Back to my gluten free kitchen now. Still trying with the bread but its getting better.

Thanks a mill!

Liz.