Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest ShannonL

Finally An Answer! I Have Celiac

Guest ShannonL

OK just left the dr. I DO have celiac. I am beginning this journey AGAIN...I was dx 4 years ago then told I didnt have it. Now I do for sure. Anyway....here are the first of many questions. I dont have issues with my skin...should I still not use make-up that may contain gluten? What is a good book to start with? Is there a celiacs for dummy's???? LOL if so I need it.

Should I just go basic fruits and vegetables for 2 weeks and then add dairy and other somewhat processed stuff? Any advise would be appreciated. I am exhauseted and need some hand holding. I have a 11 mo who is IGg4 deficiant and she is sick ALL the time and I dont sleep! ARRRR I hoping this fod lifts. MY dh told me last week that I am going to be something when I am 60. Now maybe I will get my brain back.

Shannon

www.Lame Advertisement.com

Home of the Kids with Food Allergy Monkey

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

It's a good ideato start with simple foods. You could do vegetables, fruit, meat, fish, eggs, rice, for a couple weeks and then see how you feel. That way you don't have to spend so much time reading labels right away.

I hope you start to feel better soon. :)

Pauliina

Shannon,

There actually is a "Living Gluten-Free for Dummies" book available. It is worth reading - I found it combined information from a lot of sources into one book. It would be a good place to start.

So is the advice to just go with a basic diet for the first few weeks. In my case, I have intolerances that go beyond gluten and it was frustrating the first month or so to figure out everything that I was intolerant to. It would have been much simpler if I had started out very simple and then started adding back foods.

I hope you start feeling better soon.

Regina

I have the Gluten Free for Dummies book and it has helped me a lot. Tremendous amount to information in it. I learned about this website from that book.

Diagnosed celiac disease July 5, 2007

Starting over on the gluten free diet

Check out the book listed in my signature. It is written by one of the top Celiac physician's and researchers and was just published this year. While much still is unknown about Celiac, it is a great resource for the information that is currently out there. I HIGHLY recommend it. you can get it from amazon or any other bookstore.

Feel free to ask any and all questions. Celiac is strange. Remember that Celiac is a genetic disorder...so your children could have it or could develop it. They suggest that ALL first degree relatives are tested via the full blood panel (http://www.celiaccenter.org/faq.asp), including parents, siblings, and children. However, in children under two, the testing is somewhat unreliable at this point and often can miss Celiac.

Also, just because someone in your family is tested now, doesn't mean that they can't develop it later (like you developed it later...I "got" it in my early 20s).

The only "cure" for Celiac is a STRICT gluten free diet....it will take time to heal, so make sure you have patience. It took me months to feel somewhat normal, but I felt a difference within days. Celiac is often referred to as a medical chameleon because of its multitude of different symptoms, and course of the disease.

We are here to help! Best of luck!