This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dark Circle Around Eyes

elisabet

elisabet Contributor

Hello every one,

Can dark circle around the eyes be a result of celiac.

Does anyone experince it?

Eliabet

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

eleep Enthusiast

I have noticed that I have less of an issue with dark circles since I've gone gluten-free.

Electra Enthusiast
Hello every one,

Eliabet

ABSOLUTELY!! I have always had them really bad, I haven't even had time to notice if there has been a change since going gluten free, but my daughter gets them something aweful and when she isn't being glutened they are barely EVER there.

mommida Enthusiast

Some doctor's/people call them "allergy shiners".

Mine have gone away since starting the gluten free diet.

L.

e&j0304 Enthusiast

I believe they can also be caused by low iron, which is common in undiagnosed gluten intolerance or celiac disease. My daughter had them very badly before we put her on the diet. She was always anemic. She now looks just fine and as of last month her iron levels are completely normal.

HTH!

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

Yep!! I've always had dark circles (and bags, LOL!) under my eyes. Since going gluten-free - they are gone!!

Not so much with my daughter.... but her allergist says that environmental crud contribute as well.

prinsessa Contributor

We all have dark circles under our eyes. I have noticed that DS's and my dark circle have started to go away after going gluten free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Michi8 Contributor

As others have mentioned they're sometimes called allergic shiners. I've always had them, and my kids and DH have them. We're all allergic to various stuff. Don't know about the gluten thing yet, though. I doubt mine will go away, just because I'm allergic to so much in the environment!

Michelle

itsmaryj Newbie
Hello every one,

Eliabet

Interesting! I've always had dark circles under my eyes--my mother always thought I needed more sleep! Then they said they were "allergic shiners," yet I test negative on allergy tests. Maybe if I begin to eat gluten-free they will go away! Unfortunately, now there are plenty of wrinkles to take their place :rolleyes:

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I call them "raccoon eyes" and yes, I have them, probably always will.

wowzer Community Regular

I'm 52 and have been on the gluten free diet since the beginning of the year. I noticed my dark circles disappeared after a couple of weeks on the diet. I can remember having them all my life.

wowzer Community Regular

I'm 52 and have been on the gluten free diet since the beginning of the year. I noticed my dark circles disappeared after a couple of weeks on the diet. I can remember having them all my life.

GlutenWrangler Contributor

It could also be caused by chronic dehydration.

-Brian

Kaycee Collaborator
I believe they can also be caused by low iron, which is common in undiagnosed gluten intolerance or celiac disease. My daughter had them very badly before we put her on the diet. She was always anemic. She now looks just fine and as of last month her iron levels are completely normal.

HTH!

I have dark circles, and I still have them! I have only been low in iron when I have been pregnant, but that is now nearly twenty years ago. All my other iron readings have been good except for one about a year ago. So I don't think it is the low iron being my problem for the dark circles. I wish they would go, but I have given up on expecting that.

Cathy

flowergirl Rookie

I've also had dark circles around my eyes all my life due to iron difficiency. I have been gluten free for a few months but haven't noticed much difference. My dr have me on high potency iron/folate tabs which I don't take everyday because I forget. When I skip a day or two, the rings become darker and the fatigue increases. When my dr tested my ferritin it was very low and said it will probably take a while to recover. :(:blink: getting tired of waiting :unsure:

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

I had those rings, too, prior to my celiac diagnosis. I think, it's more an anemic thing than an allergy thing, because a lot of celiacs still have those rings, even without eating gluten anymore. Must be a vitamin deficiency or something.

Hugs, Stef

• 1 year later...
prettypretty88 Newbie

Something for you here.. you can visit this web site Open Original Shared Link . This blog provides quite number of information about dark circles including some video clips on how to conceal dark circles, home remedies and eye cream reviews. Quite informative though. <ahttps://www.celiac.com/uploads/emoticons/default_wink.png' alt=';)'> You can probably start with natural ways to reduce dark circles Open Original Shared Link

Darn210 Enthusiast

My daughter has them - still has them even though she's been gluten free for about 10 months. Some days are worse than others. We think she has additional food intolerances. She's been checked for environmental allergies and nothing registered.

lightening16 Rookie

Hi

I was reading some early posts and people were talking about the celiac look and that anyone with undiagnosed celiac's never wanted to look in a mirror. It totally had alot to do with low iron for me. I looked awful. My skin was very blotchy and had sort of break outs and then dark eyes. It seemed to go downhill fast until I figured out what was going on. It has taken about a month to get myself looking relatively normal again.

It will happen.

• 1 year later...
77kev77 Newbie

I'm just like lightening16... my skin gets dry/blotchy/pasty with occasional breakouts, and there's the dark circles. surely all connected?

the science of dark circles is that blood is getting squeezed out through the capillaries and the haemoglobin oxidises, giving that bruised look. one reason could be low vitamin k (clotting factor I think), as it's fat-soluble and so maybe not being absorbed in the diet. could be lots of other reasons though...

for anyone seriously bothered by their dark circles, there's a product that treats the root cause, here's a link with some info. quite expensive but I'm willing to try it. will post feedback later

Open Original Shared Link

weluvgators Explorer

Trying to figure out my DD's dark eye circles was driving me crazy! We changed up several things, including getting new pillows, trying to reduce environmental loads, having her drink more water . . . I just could not figure it out. And it seemed to be something that she was eating, but I couldn't figure it out. Then I started to understand the prevalence of gluten contamination in our foods that *should* be safe. We identified some leading culprits, eliminated them, and I just want to throw a party because they are GONE, most of the time. This is one of my leading indicators for her that indicates probable gluten CC consumption (assuming things like hydration have been appropriately addressed).

In addition, we see resolution of her rhinitis and accompanying allergic salute. It has been wonderful for us!

Archived