Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

alamaz

Bummer- My Tea Isn't gluten-free!

I love the Yogi Calming tea and it's not gluten-free :angry: I didn't drink it for a few days and felt great and then I had a cup two days ago and was sooooooo sick! So much for a "healthy" tea- they put barley malt in it! After reading the website I won't try any of the other teas either. Any suggestions? I Know about Celestial Seasonings, any other good ones? I love chamomille and green tea.

Thanks!

Amy

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease February 2007

Finally feeling better than ever!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

i think some yogi teas have been messing with me too. now i only drink twinings are Tazo. A little pricey, but well worth it.

Diagnosed through Enterolab (9.27.06)

Antigliadin IgA 164 (Normal Range <10 Units)

Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 75 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

Quantitative Microscopic Fat Score 874 Units (Normal Range <300 Units)

Fecal anti-casein (cow’s milk) IgA antibody 73 Units (Normal Range <10 Units)

HLA-DQ 2,1 (Subtype 2,5)

bklynceliac- the yogi tea website says they can't guarantee that cross contamination doesn't occur. apparently they process other foods and teas all on the same machinary/same factory in addition to adding barley malt to some of the other flavors/herbal combinations.

amy

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease February 2007

Finally feeling better than ever!

Guest Hydra

I am lucky enough to have this little "mom & pop" natural foods store near me...they have dried herbs to use in cooking or to make into teas that are grown organic and locally. I just buy the herbs loose and put them in a large teaball and have soothing herbal teas all the time, I especially like catnip, red clover and lavender herbal tea.

Maybe you could see if such a place exists in your area. I am sorry but at this time I can't recommend any places on the web to order quality bulk herbs. I did order some from a place I have ordered some jewelry from before....I will let you know what I think of the bulk tea I bought, it should come within the next 10 days...I ordered catnip, jasmine and calendula, and was able to order then in small amounts, ounces as opposed to lbs. and they were quite reasonable on the their prices and shipping.

I love the Yogi Calming tea and it's not gluten-free :angry: I didn't drink it for a few days and felt great and then I had a cup two days ago and was sooooooo sick! So much for a "healthy" tea- they put barley malt in it! After reading the website I won't try any of the other teas either. Any suggestions? I Know about Celestial Seasonings, any other good ones? I love chamomille and green tea.

Thanks!

Amy

Celestial Seasonings teas will say either "gluten free" or "may contain gluten" om the bottom of the box (not the side ingredient panel).

It helps!

Tree

Some of the Lipton flavored tea bags have barley malt in them as well. I was all set to have a relaxing mug of peach tea a few months back and looked at the box, thinking, "It's tea, it's got to be safe" and there it was, barley malt. BAD LIPTON!

Celestial Seasonings teas will say either "gluten free" or "may contain gluten" om the bottom of the box (not the side ingredient panel).

I can confirm Tree's claim. I'm looking at two boxes of Celestial Seasonings teas. Teahouse Chai (Original India Spice), and Rooibos (Moroccan Pomegranate Red). Both say gluten-free right on the bottom, ingredients are on the side.

Also have a Bigelow Mint Medley. Doesn't say gluten-free, but has nothing remotely troublesome.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa