Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hi Guys:

Well, I must say that I felt a profound difference in my mental constitution after receiving a B12 shot last week.

My mind has been one big ball of worried thoughts for over a year now. After the B12, worried thoughts may come, but they go pretty dang quickly.

My B12 level was in the 600's -- well w/i normal range, so I'm not exactly sure why my body wasn't "utilizing" it.

Just wonder about any of your B12 experiences/knowledge.

Thanks!

Nama B)

Thanks!

Nama B)

In 2004 I was just soooo exhausted and everything hurt, I couldn't walk without telling myself to pick up my foot with each step. My B12 level was low but still withing normal range. I have been getting monthy B12 inj ever since. About one week before it is due, my body tells me. I get exhausted to the point of feeling drugged. I manage to go to work, go home and fix dinner, then I am out on the couch. As I said, feeling drugged and unable to move unless I really have to. Within 24 hours of the shot I am full of energy and no sleeping until bedtime. B12 is a wonderful thing. Hopefully though, once I've been gluten-free long enough I won't have to take it anymore.

Suz

Nama,

I'm going to be doing B12 shots soon.

My doctor wants me to start because I have heavy metal toxicity. The doctors say mercury and other metals are the cause of my illness....not Lyme Disease....even though I do have the bacteria.

Probably over 95% of my problems is caused by the heavy metals....and should resolve after treatment.

I have to do chelation therapy...right now my Dr. is preparing me for that. One of the things I need to do is the B12 shots. I think I might be giving them to myself....she said its pretty easy to do.

The reason she wants me on the B12 is because it improves methylation. I guess methylation gets blocked by mercury....as do enymes and a bunch of other stuff.

This is what I read abut it.

mercury can block the methylation cycle and thus induce a functional B12-deficiency (folates are not altered). This in turn is one explanation of why symptoms of mercury overload and vitamin B12-deficiency may be identical.

There is also a second possible interaction between vitamin B12, and mercury. Mercury has indeed been shown to impair the Transport of vitamin B12 over the blood-brain barrier which results in a low CSF/serum concentration ratio of the vitamin. Low CSF levels of vitamin B12 (and high CSF-homocysteine levels) have been observed in fibromyalgia (chronic fatigue syndrome), MS and in dementia.

High doses of vitamin B12, that overcome the block to some extent, has had sometimes stunning results in these conditions.

So I'm hoping the shots will help "unblock" the methylation cycle for me. My Dr. said methylation is necessary to help my body detox when I start chelation.

I might not be able to do the shots myself though. :unsure:

I have to close my eyes for blood draws....I'm a big baby when it comes to needles and blood. :ph34r:

Nama,

I have to close my eyes for blood draws....I'm a big baby when it comes to needles and blood. :ph34r:

If I can do it, you can do it B)

I've had to give myself weekly B12 shots for the last 4 weeks, I guess the doctor got tired of seeing me when I was actually healthy!

For blood draws in the past, I would get so worked up I would literally hyperventilate. Now, I pop in my injection with only a minor deep breathe. The first one is the hardest(obviously), but if you do it in your upper thigh, it doesn't hurt at all.

I'm even considering getting that Super Bowl Champion Colts tatoo now that was out of the question a month ago B)

B12 injection a therapy for buuilding up the courage for a tatoo? LOL That's priceless! :D

Yeah, the first B12 shot the doc asked me if I wanted to try it myself. NOT! I know it will be a hurdle to self-inject, but I suppose I can do it. I have to look away from getting blood drawn too, Rachel, but hopefully this won't involve blood (the hard part for me about getting blood drawn.)

So is it a weekly thing for you all? Or does it just depend on your needs? I'm calling my doc today to order it.

Hugs,

Nama

My doc had me taking 1 weekly for a month and a half because all my nutrient levels were in the basement due to malabsorption. I'm supposed to start only doing one a month now, but they have definately helped a lot.

The good news is that supplementation of B12 using sublingual methylcobalamin has been proven just as effective as shots. So, it isn't necessary to get routinely pricked with a needle.

It is the form I have been taking, and yes it does indeed work! It's also pretty cheap, so why get needled?

I started doing self injections of B12 several years ago. My level was "almost none" according to the Dr. They do help, I can always tell when it's time, about every 3 weeks. It's easier than you might think to give yourself the injection. If you do it once you have it mastered.

so how much is your injections? 1 cc? (i wasn't really paying attention to the doc). Are the sublingual B12s comparable, really? Geez, if they are what the heck am I thinking of giving myself shots for???

I take the sublingual B12 and I think it is great. I have multiple issues beyond Celiac, and it is just one thing that I am doing to help, but I really feel like it makes a difference. My husband, who doesn't have any health problems, has started using it and has seen a noticeable difference in how he feels.

Nama,

I'm going to be doing B12 shots soon.

My doctor wants me to start because I have heavy metal toxicity. The doctors say mercury and other metals are the cause of my illness....not Lyme Disease....even though I do have the bacteria.

Probably over 95% of my problems is caused by the heavy metals....and should resolve after treatment.

I have to do chelation therapy...right now my Dr. is preparing me for that. One of the things I need to do is the B12 shots. I think I might be giving them to myself....she said its pretty easy to do.

The reason she wants me on the B12 is because it improves methylation. I guess methylation gets blocked by mercury....as do enymes and a bunch of other stuff.

This is what I read abut it.

So I'm hoping the shots will help "unblock" the methylation cycle for me. My Dr. said methylation is necessary to help my body detox when I start chelation.

How do you get heavy metal toxicity?

I was diagnosed with pernicious anemia about 11 years ago. My hemoglobin was 7 and should be around 13. (I think that's right) I was pale and turning yellow. Also hands and feet and legs tingled. Then Dr. gave me a shot and within an hour I felt a flush and warmth flow through my body. My staff was watching me and saw my color return right before their eyes. It was truly a miracle! I give my self injections once a month. I still don't like to do it, but I get the job done.

I've tried other methods of B-12 but found the shots were the best method for me. B-12 is cheap. It costs with needles probably less the $2 a shot. (with insurance of course)

Guess I will be taking B-12 shots for the rest of my life.

Nama, I took sublingual Vit B12 drops for months before I ever knew about Celiac and their effect were profound and immediate upon taking it. Now I am taking kefir as a probiotic and I've had a profound inprovement in general wellbeing and I don't take any supplements anymore. When I take Vit B12 now there are no improved feeling. I guess I am getting enough Vitamin B's now the natural way. :ph34r:

I mention this because you may want to investigate this natural alternative therapy... use it... or don't use it. :P

See http://www.seedsofhealth.co.uk/fermenting/kefir.shtml I use real kefir grains that I bought on over the internet. Not the starter kit stuff. You'll see in the article that the nutrients in kefir cover most of the nutrional deficiencies of Celiacs.

Best to you, Flowergirl

It's also worth noting that most vitamin B12 supplements are cyanocobalamin, which is not as effective as methylcobalamin. It also has cyanide (hence the name), which is supposed to be disposed of by the body without incident. That just doesn't sound very reassuring to me, especially considering the damaged intestinal wall which allows various toxic substances to pass into the bloodstream rather than be filtered out.

The form often used in shots is Hydroxocobalamin. However, from what I've read it is the methyl form which is the most abundant within the body. When taken in the sublingual form, it can then enter the bloodstream directly, and be put to use quickly. Besides methylcobalamin, the adenosylcobalamin form is also supposed to be more effective than the cyano form. Though from what I've seen this type doesn't seem so widely used.

Here is some info on the topic:

http://www.naturalhealthconsult.com/Monogr...lcobalamin.html

http://nutri.com/b12m/

so how much is your injections? 1 cc? (i wasn't really paying attention to the doc). Are the sublingual B12s comparable, really? Geez, if they are what the heck am I thinking of giving myself shots for???

Yes, mine is one cc. I prefer the shots over the other kinds of B-12, no absorption problems, it's very direct.

I prefer the shots over the other kinds of B-12, no absorption problems, it's very direct.

That's true of the ones which have to go through the stomach. Thankfully the sublingual goes directly into the bloodstream, so no absorption issues there either. The mistake many people make when selecting a supplement is they end up with cyanocobalamin, so even when it is sublingual, it still cannot be utilized until processed into methylcobalamin.

When the stomach is doing its job (including the production of intrinsic factor), and the rest of the digestive system is functioning properly, then other forms of B12 including food sources can be effective. Unfortunately, when Celiac disease gets the best of us, a conscious effort towards additional measures can be imperative. That often goes beyond just B12 too.

I was dx with low B12 last year and then Pernicious Anaemia. I needed weekly jabs, then 2 weekly , now 3 weekly. I was using Hydroxo but switched to Methylcobalamin and can say they are MUCH better!!! You can feel it working immediately and feel so much energy.

And it seems that many are using methyl jabs to help mercury toxicity.

http://www.whale.to/w/b12.html

The methyl I use has to be kept chilled or frozen - so its harder to transport. Mine costs about A$25 a shot. I also use methyl sublinguals but they don't do the work that the jab does - so use both. I have had pins and needles in my feet for 20 years, and they have virtually vanished since having the B12 jabs !

My B-12 levels were around 620, but I still wonder if it is ok. How do you find out if your body is utilizing it or not. How did you find someone to give you the shots when your levels were normal?

How do you get heavy metal toxicity?

You can get it from fish (mercury) or other sources...aluminum, lead, etc.

The most common is mercury toxicity from amalgams...the ADA says this is not harmful....dont believe it. The fillings are 50% mercury and its been proven time and time again that the mercury leaks out and gets stored in tissue.

The ADA now (after many years of denial) acknowledges that they DO leak...however, they still claim mercury in fillings is safe. :blink:

I would have been skeptical had I not learned the hard way....I got poisoned from the metals in my mouth. My situation differs from most because I got large amounts of metals released in a very short time...rather than an accumulation of toxins over decades.

The result was instead of getting Alzheimers or some other disease (never linked to the metals in my mouth)....I got the whole she-bang all at once...went from a 10 to a 0 on the "health scale"....in a matter of weeks. I've been very sick since. :(

I got a pretty severe "galvanic reaction" which caused my health to deteriorate very rapidly after I'd sen the dentist.

Heres an explanation...

When gold and amalgam touch they produce the most effective galvanic reaction available for dental mercury release.

The result of this "battery" is a rapid release of mercury and other metal ions into your body as the amalgam corrodes.

Having dissimilar metals in the teeth (e.g.-amalgam, or gold and mercury) causes galvanic action, electrical currents, and much higher mercury vapor levels and levels in oral tissues.

Average mercury levels in gum tissue near amalgam fillings are about 200 ppm, and are the result of flow of mercury into the mucous membrane because of galvanic currents with the mucous membrane serving as cathode and amalgam metals as anode.

Some of the oral effects include gingivitis, oral lesions, pain and discomfort, burning mouth, "metal mouth", chronic inflamatory response, autoimmune response, etc.

Concentrations of mercury in oral mucosa for a population of patients with 6 or more amalgam fillings taken during oral surgery were 20 times the level of controls(14). Amalgam also releases significant amounts of silver, tin, and copper which also have toxic effects, with organic tin compounds formed in the body being even more neurotoxic than inorganic mercury.

Average mercury levels are often 1200 ppm near a gold cap on an amalgam filling due to higher currents when gold is in contact with amalgam. These levels are among the highest levels ever measured in tissues of living organisms.

Thats what happened to me...I went to the dentist having been totally healthy for 31 years of my life. He put gold crowns on top of my amalgam fillings and within 2 months I was on disablitity....my thyroid went overactive and wouldnt calm down (even with meds), eventually I became sensitive to all foods and chemicals, I have had major problems ever since. My brain is very affected. :(

Amalgams are not safe....they cause disease....just usually not as rapidly as what I experienced.

I had the full efects of galvanic recation....excess saliva, battery-like shocks in my mouth, tasting metal, feeling heat and the release of vaoprs around my crown, etc.

You can get heavy metal toxicity from other sources as well.....vaccines, fish, paint, etc.

Hi Guys:

Well, I must say that I felt a profound difference in my mental constitution after receiving a B12 shot last week.

My mind has been one big ball of worried thoughts for over a year now. After the B12, worried thoughts may come, but they go pretty dang quickly.

My B12 level was in the 600's -- well w/i normal range, so I'm not exactly sure why my body wasn't "utilizing" it.

Thanks!

Nama B)

Another oral form of B12 and B6 and Folate replacement is in a prescription vitamin called Metanx. It is called"medical food".....which is pretty catchy for a slogan,eh? This seems to be superior to many forms of B12 as it is readily bioavailable and the active forms of these vitamins. It is very high potency. It is the methyl forms of B12 and Folate, and has been used mainly for diabetic neuropathy and elevated homocysteine. When you have been adequatelyreplaced(B12 levels) with the injections, this might be an alternative to the injections. Remember folate deficiency has its own set of symptoms and disease, and if B12 alone was tested for and treated, the cellular red cell changes also seen in folate deficiency might be masked, and therefore missed.

Hi,

I have been researching about B12. Seems that in europe they use the sublingual as SOP. And as long as the dose is high enough (because only about 2% of what is taken will be absorbed) that will be effective. I think we only need a few micrograms of B12 each day. B12 orally is thought to be very safe. It is water soluble - so just drink lots of water and any excess would be eliminated.

I didn't get my B12 tested (too expensive here) so am just trying the supplement. Here have only found Solgar brand. This is a chewable cherry flavor. It doesn't say what form - just says Vit B12 as cobalamin, 1000 mcg (16667% of RDA).

Have been so moody these past few weeks... definitely allergy stuff going on, but also situational so I can't know what is causing what...

Hoping that the B12 would help...

S

I've been going to my Naturopath to get B12 shots. Does anyone know where to buy these?? Do you ask your doctor for a prescription? My mother-in-law is a nurse so she could give it to me. It would save me frequent trips to the naturopath's office that's for sure! I can't believe I didn't even consider that I could do it on my own. What about the oral type?? Anyone know of one available in Canada...Ontario specifically??

Thanks in advance! :)

You can get it from fish (mercury) or other sources...aluminum, lead, etc.

The most common is mercury toxicity from amalgams...the ADA says this is not harmful....dont believe it. The fillings are 50% mercury and its been proven time and time again that the mercury leaks out and gets stored in tissue.

The ADA now (after many years of denial) acknowledges that they DO leak...however, they still claim mercury in fillings is safe. :blink:

I would have been skeptical had I not learned the hard way....I got poisoned from the metals in my mouth. My situation differs from most because I got large amounts of metals released in a very short time...rather than an accumulation of toxins over decades.

The result was instead of getting Alzheimers or some other disease (never linked to the metals in my mouth)....I got the whole she-bang all at once...went from a 10 to a 0 on the "health scale"....in a matter of weeks. I've been very sick since. :(

I got a pretty severe "galvanic reaction" which caused my health to deteriorate very rapidly after I'd sen the dentist.

Heres an explanation...

Thats what happened to me...I went to the dentist having been totally healthy for 31 years of my life. He put gold crowns on top of my amalgam fillings and within 2 months I was on disablitity....my thyroid went overactive and wouldnt calm down (even with meds), eventually I became sensitive to all foods and chemicals, I have had major problems ever since. My brain is very affected. :(

Amalgams are not safe....they cause disease....just usually not as rapidly as what I experienced.

I had the full efects of galvanic recation....excess saliva, battery-like shocks in my mouth, tasting metal, feeling heat and the release of vaoprs around my crown, etc.

You can get heavy metal toxicity from other sources as well.....vaccines, fish, paint, etc.

Do you use chlorella? I'm sorry you're so sick.

• Forum Discussions

Hello! And thank you for your reply! For me, I had genetic testing done and that's how the Celiac was discovered. Given that I have an allergy to wheat, I have been very careful to not consume foods with wheat for the last fifteen years. ...
    If her celiac blood test normalized and her second endoscopy and colonoscopy (with the pathologist confirming this besides the GI) revealed a healed small intestine, but found ulcers, she may be dealing with something else like Inflammatory ...
    No. I agree with what Scott said.  So much is not true in this post.