This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

A New Weight Loss Support/accountability Thread

lonewolf

Guest Keating823

wow i definitely didn't expect people to get back to me so soon and thats awesome! :) Right now I am living at home for the summer and I am babysitting usually for two little kids for the day so usually I get my excercise chasing them around all day. But yes, when I get home I am starving and basically gorge myself with food, usually not gluten-free. Also, there's a McDonalds on my way home and I'm not going to lie it's become a little routine to stop there either for breakfast or dinner. Goal for the rest of the week: STOP EATING MCDONALDS. And yes, I am only 19 years old and am very unhealthy. I've been told plenty of times if I don't stop my lifestyle I will definitely be diagnosed with diabetes which scares me. So, why not change. When I go to college I will live in the dorm again with my best friend who is really supportive of me eating gluten-free so that will be a great change from my last roommate who would purposely ask if I would want gluten because she knew I couldn't have it... how mean! Anyways, I think today will be my first day of eating gluten-free and I will keep you updated if I mess up even if you don't care haha... I like this thing. It's like a little personal diary but people can help you out! Awesome! And thanks everyone for the advice! (sorry for the novel)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Keating823

like i said, i can't even be gluten-free for one day. i suck!

megirae Newbie

Hi, can I join? I have a four month old son and I don't even recognize myself in the mirror anymore! I need to lose the 60 lbs I gained with him! It will be hard as I live in a household where gluten is around every corner but I would love to try. Can anyone suggest some quick and easy lunch ideas? That seams to be where I most screw up. Also I am now a stay at home mom so sometimes I find myself eating all day long(just like my pregnancy!).

P.S. my biggest weakness? Soda, soda, soda!

Guest Keating823
Hi, can I join? I have a four month old son and I don't even recognize myself in the mirror anymore! I need to lose the 60 lbs I gained with him! It will be hard as I live in a household where gluten is around every corner but I would love to try. Can anyone suggest some quick and easy lunch ideas? That seams to be where I most screw up. Also I am now a stay at home mom so sometimes I find myself eating all day long(just like my pregnancy!).

P.S. my biggest weakness? Soda, soda, soda!

WOW! besides me not having a kid sounds like we are kind of in the same pool. i LOVE soda. gluten is everywhere in my house. and i always suck around lunchtime because i don't want to make a meal but it's hard to just throw something together when you need to be gluten-free. i love tuna and tuna sandwiches are great for me. i toast some glutenfree bread and whip up some tuna and celery. it's yummy! throw in an apple or something and there you go! (i try to ditch the soda by drinking pink lemonade but it just isn't the same haha)

Mango04 Enthusiast

Today:

B - two slices of Applegate Farms organic smoked turkey and two Corn Thins

S - grapes, carrots, broccoli and hummus

L - brown rice with pinto beans

S2 - last night I mixed together almond butter, coconut, cocoa powder and agave for a really yummy and healthy fudge type thing.

D - ?

I just got a Mr. Bento, so lunch was really fun to pack this morning :D

Guest Keating823

i had a really good day today so far :) i was babysitting my neice and i had a great time chasing her around. we went to the library too... it was so much fun. AND... i ate gluten-free the WHOLE DAY! :) might not sound like that much to you guys but for me thats amazing haha

confused Community Regular
i had a really good day today so far :) i was babysitting my neice and i had a great time chasing her around. we went to the library too... it was so much fun. AND... i ate gluten-free the WHOLE DAY! :) might not sound like that much to you guys but for me thats amazing haha

ya keep it up, it will get easier as the days pass and you feel better with no gluten.

paula

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

Hey Everyone,

I have not checked in with this thread in a few weeks due to work stuff. I have to say I started eating yogurt every morning and eating a salad at lunch. I started to work out in the evenings. I even lost 3 lbs. It is not much but it is still a start.

Guest Keating823
Hey Everyone,

I have not checked in with this thread in a few weeks due to work stuff. I have to say I started eating yogurt every morning and eating a salad at lunch. I started to work out in the evenings. I even lost 3 lbs. It is not much but it is still a start.

dude that's a lot more than i've been doing so CONGRATS to you! haha :)

Well i finally went and bought an scale, in june i was 168 and now I am at 155. I knew i was losing inches but i never would have thought i would have lost 13 pounds. I am so excited. I have not been under 160 for years. I had called my mom to tell her to guess what i weighed and she is like 110, i was like um mom im 5'8 how can i weigh 110 lol. I told her i was 168 in june so she then guesses i was 145, i was like um that is way to much to lose since june lol.

paula

Sweetfudge Community Regular

Hi, so I kinda cheated. I read the first page, then jumped to the last. Sorry. I just don't have time to read at the moment, but wanted to get myself in on this thread! I have a question - does anyone use/support/oppose Alli? I've been seeing it around alot, and wanted to know what y'all have to say about it. I am more looking to get back in shape, but shedding a few pounds will be a great bonus! How do you all do it? I have such a hard time not letting myself eat sweets. I have always felt deprived of them, having grown up w/ hypoglycemia (and a mom who had it very severely), and now that I have more "restrictions" in my life, I feel like I am on the verge of binging every time I meet up with any sweets!!

blueeyedmanda Community Regular
Well i finally went and bought an scale, in june i was 168 and now I am at 155. I knew i was losing inches but i never would have thought i would have lost 13 pounds. I am so excited. I have not been under 160 for years. I had called my mom to tell her to guess what i weighed and she is like 110, i was like um mom im 5'8 how can i weigh 110 lol. I told her i was 168 in june so she then guesses i was 145, i was like um that is way to much to lose since june lol.

paula

Congrats!!!!!

lonewolf Collaborator

Hi Everyone! I'm so glad this thread is still going! I've been delinquent too and I am aiming to get back on track starting tomorrow morning.

Welcome Keating823, Megirae and Sweetfudge! Glad you're joining us! Sweetfudge - I don't know anything at all about Alli, maybe someone else will.

Paula - congrats on the 13 pounds!

I've been working at a basketball camp all week - coaching, teaching and refereeing games for 6 hours a day. I haven't been careful with what I've eaten, but I haven't completely blown it either. The frustrating thing? I've gained 4 pounds this week! How is that even possible? I've been working out 4-5 days a week for the past 4 months, so it can't be something like "muscle weight". I am so totally discouraged :( . My body seems to hold on to every little calorie and stash it away for later use. Back to low-carb and mega workouts tomorrow.

Guest Keating823
Hi, so I kinda cheated. I read the first page, then jumped to the last. Sorry. I just don't have time to read at the moment, but wanted to get myself in on this thread! I have a question - does anyone use/support/oppose Alli? I've been seeing it around alot, and wanted to know what y'all have to say about it. I am more looking to get back in shape, but shedding a few pounds will be a great bonus! How do you all do it? I have such a hard time not letting myself eat sweets. I have always felt deprived of them, having grown up w/ hypoglycemia (and a mom who had it very severely), and now that I have more "restrictions" in my life, I feel like I am on the verge of binging every time I meet up with any sweets!!

Hi. The creator or main guy for Alli was on The View the other day haha yes, i watch The View. Anyways, I wasn't convinced. I just think it's so funny how ALL diet pills and stuff say "works with diet and excercise". Well, DUH! haha. The only thing I did not like about Alli really was that the guy admitted that if you take Alli you have to take it for your entire life because if you don't then after you get off it, your body will go into a huge funk and have to re-figure itself out and what to do with the food you are eating because it will be used to an entirely different process. So, if you choose to use Alli then you are really choosing it for life... sounds a little scary to use when it has just come out and there's no positive way to show if it has long-term affects. Hope that helps!

little d Enthusiast

Hi all

I have been busy but I still weight 152, at least I'm in a holding pattern, and watching what I eat.

I would post my meals but I'm at work and I'm holding a fussy baby :angry: and have maybe 15 more to keep an eye on.

donna

i would not do alli. I am one that beleive an change of diet and what type of exercise you do will be more beneficial then a pill, especially if you say you have to do it the rest of your life. I have lost 13 pounds on my own the last few weeks, and all i did was play more with my kids and drink more water and no more beer. And i really think this weight will stay off because i didnt do anything realy different or take anything.

thanks for the ones that graduated me,

paula

Sweetfudge Community Regular
Hi. The creator or main guy for Alli was on The View the other day haha yes, i watch The View. Anyways, I wasn't convinced. I just think it's so funny how ALL diet pills and stuff say "works with diet and excercise". Well, DUH! haha. The only thing I did not like about Alli really was that the guy admitted that if you take Alli you have to take it for your entire life because if you don't then after you get off it, your body will go into a huge funk and have to re-figure itself out and what to do with the food you are eating because it will be used to an entirely different process. So, if you choose to use Alli then you are really choosing it for life... sounds a little scary to use when it has just come out and there's no positive way to show if it has long-term affects. Hope that helps!

yes it helps! thanks for sharing! that would suck. i'm in the process of ridding myself of antidepressants that i've been on for 5 years, and it's been very frustrating.

And i really think this weight will stay off because i didnt do anything realy different or take anything.

You're right, that's probably the best way to keep the wight off. Good work :D Now it's my turn :rolleyes:

yes it helps! thanks for sharing! that would suck. i'm in the process of ridding myself of antidepressants that i've been on for 5 years, and it's been very frustrating.

You're right, that's probably the best way to keep the wight off. Good work :D Now it's my turn :rolleyes:

and you can do it, just make sure you drink your water that was the key for me.

gl on getting rid of the antideprassants, i know that can be very tough on people

paula

megirae Newbie

thanks for the reply keating! I also love tuna but as of yet I haven't found a gluten-free bread that I like so I just eat it with these great crackers I found. I also try to stick to Crystal Light (only 5 calories!) but it just isn't the same :( . I haven't gotten up the courage to weigh myself yet but maybe I will soon.

P.S. I was good all day yesterday and then I went and had a small bowl of ice cream with carmel sauce on top. Any suggestions for when the sweet tooth acts up?

Meg

lonewolf Collaborator

Here I go with day #1 of "Getting back to being serious about losing weight". I need a personal chef and a personal trainer! And that's just pitiful since I'm a good cook and a PE teacher.

Megirae - I've found that going "cold turkey" by getting off sweets for 3 days will stop the cravings. It's like going through withdrawal. The only thing that I've found that helps is to make a big pitcher of iced tea, sweetened with Stevia, and drink large quantities of that. I like Celestial Seasonings Mandarin Orange Spice or Wildberry Zinger the best for this - they still taste a bit sweet.

So far today:

B - 2 chicken sausages, all my vitamins

Kaycee Collaborator

Geoff, could it be you are working too hard and getting too tired. When I'm tired I make wrong food choices, I just want something easy and quick, and that is usually fattening. It has been documetned being tired is bad for weight gain. If you get enough sleep and rest you might fare better. Just a thought as I was readying through older posts.

I've been working my ass off the last week or two, work work, not excercise. I did go kayaking for about 8 hours saturday. I feel like I've been eating VERY healthy, but haven't been sleeping and have gained a few pounds.

Worst ever.

Damn.

Kaycee Collaborator

Hi, I'm back.

Has been quite a few busy weeks, more and more work to be done, and more and more responsibility needed from me. And then my 24 year old son comes back from Australia to live with mum. Oh wonderful, full house again. I feel outnumbered, 4 men to 1 female. How will I cope? I'll be burnt to a frazzle soon.

A while back I went to the dr and he suggested I loose weight and do more exercise because that dreaded blood pressure was going up! I have more or less stuck to it. I have changed my habits a bit. I still count calories, and add up all the days eating and try to average around 9000 calories a week. That doesn't sound much, but it is about 1200 a day. I've tried 1500 a day but tend to put on weight with that. I think I was kidding myself saying I was eating healthily, because obviously I was not.

I have stepped up the walking slowly. My walking mate in the early morning has been reneging so it has just been me the last week, but it is good. I used to listen to my walkman, but now I just walk and think and sort out what is in my head, either home things or work affairs. It is really good and time flies, and I have usually got my dinner sortted out by the time I get back in.

As for the weight front, I was 81 kilos about 3 months ago, and now I am nudging 78 kilos, so that is about 7 lbs in three months. I know it is not much, but it is something. I sometimes think we try too hard to get there, and the littlest dissappointment sends us spinning out of control to the bisucuit tin (must admit it is not the biscuit tin anymore for me, more like the chocolate barrell). If only we could cope with minor dissappointments better and not think thats that, the diet is doomed because I ate too much!

I am thankful that I never even consider eating gluten, so one way I cope with restricting what I eat is by not having anything tempting that I can eat at home. Gluten filled food does not tempt me one bit.

I hope my doc will be happy and won't need to even think about prescribing those blood pressure pills to me. But I've reached the point where, yes if I have to take them, then I will, but I don't really want to and I am putting up a fight. I'm making a last ditch effort to stave off the inevitable. My mother has high blood pressure and high cholestrol, so I am really thinking genetics might play more a part in it than anything else.

Enough of my ramblings.

Cathy

Guest Keating823
thanks for the reply keating! I also love tuna but as of yet I haven't found a gluten-free bread that I like so I just eat it with these great crackers I found. I also try to stick to Crystal Light (only 5 calories!) but it just isn't the same :( . I haven't gotten up the courage to weigh myself yet but maybe I will soon.

P.S. I was good all day yesterday and then I went and had a small bowl of ice cream with carmel sauce on top. Any suggestions for when the sweet tooth acts up?

Meg

i do the whole celery with a little peanut butter... but then i put a few chocolate chips on top haha might not be the healthiest thing but hey... it has celery in it! :) as for the bread... i still haven't found one that's amazing. but, i have this tapioca loaf and i toast it before i eat it... and its really not that bad. i think toasting the gluten-free bread is what is the trick so if you haven't learned that it might help out a lot.

Guest Keating823

okay so tomorrow (or i guess right now) i start my diet. oh wait,... a "diet" is like the devil right? a LIFESTYLE CHANGE is what Dr. Phil calls it haha but i'm going to announce my weight... 259. ew gross im glad i got that out there. anyways, there it is. i don't think anyone but my doctor knows that. anyways, not that big of a deal. next week my weight will be DIFFERENT right? :) when did i become an optimist? apparently just now.

Kaycee Collaborator

Way to go, keep up the optimism.

Looking at your photo Keating, you don't look big. And I love your humour. And your are so lucky being 19, what I would do to be 19 again? What would I do? Now that will be telling!

I hate the word diet, and it feels like I have been on a diet nearly all my life (diets don't work) and now we are all on two diets. One to stave off the gluten, and the other to stave off the fat! Just as well I am not too easily confused, and my priority would always be the gluten free diet.

Cathy

Archived