This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Natural Flavors: Worth A Risk?

jaimi alderson

jaimi alderson Enthusiast

Hi there,

Does anyone ever take a risk with natural flavors? I have found what looks to be some excellent wine coolers but can not get a hold of the company. These are California Coolers Wine Coolers which are definitely WINE not malt based. The only questionable ingredient would be the Natural Flavors which are the very last ingredient listed. I do not get sick from accidental gluten in minor amounts and would very much like to try these. The company's website is not current/doesn't work & the beer distributor gave me a number that I have left messages for. I just think it might be worth it for me to try these & see if I get sick or don't, being that the only bad ingredient would be last on the ingredient list. It has been 18 months since I have taken any gluten risk whatsoever...does anyone ever risk this type of thing?

Thanks!

Jaimi

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tom Contributor
Hi there,

Does anyone ever take a risk with natural flavors?

Not me!!

If I can't specifically confirm *those* exact Natural Flavors are gluten-free, I won't touch it.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Not worth the risk to me. How about just getting a bottle of wine and adding a gluten-free soda or seltzer water?

JennyC Enthusiast

I think that natural flavor is the most dangerous ingredient for people with celiac disease, as far as hidden gluten goes. You never know if barley or some other gluten is hidden in there if you're not buying from a company that will disclose their gluten.

jmd3 Contributor

If it were me I wouldn't take the chance, sorry you asked so I need to be honest. Natural flavors usually are bad news for me.

Try something else until you can reach them on Monday.

Lisa Mentor

It would depend on what the product is. A wine cooler, no I would not drink it. Dole Tropical Mixed Fruit, I would. Both could contain "natural flavors" (as Dole does), but one is more likely not to have malt or rye than the other.

It's an educated choice for me, but I am not as reactive as others.

newceliac Enthusiast

What brands are most likely to list gluten? Or which brands would you trust natural flavors?

This gluten free shopping is still so confusing and wonder when it will get easier? Of course, it has been less than 1 month.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

As far as alcohol or regular food? I am not sure as far as alcohol but as far as food, Kraft is one of the best as far as food companies.

psawyer Proficient

I have posted this before many times. including very recently--enough that it could be considered a duplicate post. I will post it anyway. I asked the nearest moderator, and told myself it was ok :P

Here is a list is companies/brands with a policy of clearly disclosing any and all sources of gluten in the list of ingredients. With these brands, if you don't see a gluten grain in the ingredients list, there is not one there, even if vague terms like "natural flavor" or "modified food starch" appear. If it was a gluten source, they would clearly say so.

The list:

Aunt Nelly's

Balance

Baskin Robbins

Ben & Jerry

Betty Crocker

Blue Bunny

Butterball (lists wheat only)

Breyers

Campbells

Cascadian Farms

Celestial Seasonings

ConAgra

Country Crock

Edy's

General Mills

Good Humor

Green Giant

Haagen Daz

Hellman's

Hershey

Hormel

Hungry Jack

Jiffy

Knorr

Kozy Shack

Kraft

Libby's

Lipton

Martha White

McCormick

Nabisco

Nestle

Old El Paso

Ortega

Pillsbury

Popsicle

Progresso

Russell Stover

Seneca Foods

Smucker

Stokely's

Sunny Delight

T Marzetti

Tyson

Unilever

Wishbone

Yoplait

Zatarain's

Some of these companies own other brand names that are not listed here. For example, Lawry's is owed by Unilever. It does say Unilever on the label if you search hard enough.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

Another company that lists gluten is Wegmans, and it lists products gluten free by using a "G" in a circle on the product. Real nice, if you have a store near you.

Archived