This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

If Your Glutening Symptoms Are Depression And Rage?

VioletBlue

VioletBlue Contributor

The most pronounced effect on me when I'm accidentally glutened is depression and anger. It's overwhelming and life altering. Fortunately I've come to realize it for what it is and I simply wait it out. It usually takes about five days for it to come and go. There are other milder symptoms like indigestion and acid reflux and back pain, but they're really insignificant in terms of how they effect me day to day.

I guess there are really two questions. Does anyone have any way to affect the depression and rage? A SSRi isn't really an option. By the time it kicked in I'd be fine again. St. Johns has never worked on me. Kava Kava makes me too drowsy to focus. I think any kind of tranquilizer would have the same effect and not necessarily even help.

And I can pinpoint when the depression wears off. It's the oddest feeling. It's like an on/off switch. That's the part that is a little freaky. I'm wondering if anyone else with gluten depression and rage feels that too, that sudden "Hey, I feel good again." There was one time where I nearly danced across the room it felt so good. It's not a high or anything, it's just the sudden absence of the dark dark depression and rage, and it's such a huge relief. I was accidentally glutened near the end of last week. The switch flipped last night and it was so pronounced it was rather frightening. That's what brought it to mind today. I don't mind it, uh, exactly. I just find it odd that it's so pronounced.

Violet

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest thatchickali

I definately get that too. I am getting a little better because the first time it happened I thought, oh great, I'm gonna be sick all day. possibly for daaysss, or even weeks. This was at about 9am, by noon I felt almost completely normal. I was a little groggy but I was able to have a good day so now when it happens I know jusit to wait it out a few hours.

I know what you mean though.

nmw Newbie

Depression, anxiety and rage = yup, me too. Weird how it just blinks off. So happy when it does.

buffettbride Enthusiast

Gosh--between the threads tonight on sinus troubles, cavities, and depression I'm reliving my daughter's dx all over again.

My daughter gets horribly depressed when she's been glutened--especially if it is a really bad one or if she has multiple glutenings close together. I haven't noticed any "rage" with her but boy does she get sad and droopy. Doesn't want to do anything and cries at the drop of the hat.

Poor thing doesn't have a thing in the world to be depressed about, but she gets so blue when glutened. I feel so badly for her. I wish I could take it all away.

aikiducky Apprentice

I get the rage and depression, too. It's my main reason for being very strict with my diet! Mine isn't quite as bad as the original posters, though. The irrational anger part usually only last for a short while (an evening for example), then I'm depressed for a few days. The longer I'm gluten free the milder this has gotten luckily.

What really helps me is taking a vitamin B complex supplement, when I've been glutened I immediately take an extra dose. I don't know exactly which vitamin in it does the trick or if its the combo, but it really helps me.

Pauliina

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I am not really rageful, but I do get sad...I am not sure I would consider it depression but I do get blue. I get that blah lay around on the couch in pajamas mood. I do get paranoid and anxious and the paranoid is about work and work issues. I notice I worry about my job a lot more if I get glutened.

Joss Rookie

Thank you for posting this because I went off my gluten-free diet recently and I feel so listless, depressed and terribly tired. I am not sleeping well and I am worried about getting cancer. When I am cheerful I never think about it at all.

Right now I am both tired and sleepy.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Acersma Rookie

WoW! Rageful! Depressed! Those are the two best words to describe me right now. I tend to go into rages and get very depressed and if feels like it comes from out of nowhere. I got cross contamintated last sat night, then two more accidentals since then and I am feeling sooo down. I can handle the stomach issues. But to feel this way and struggle w/ hating my job..well it sucks. My daughter got the brunt the last two days. I just said some really stupid things. Not abusive just stupid. I apologized this morning and she is so good about it. I need to be more careful though.

- Jody

Ann1231 Enthusiast
Thank you for posting this because I went off my gluten-free diet recently and I feel so listless, depressed and terribly tired. I am not sleeping well and I am worried about getting cancer. When I am cheerful I never think about it at all.

Right now I am both tired and sleepy.

this is ME! I couldn't get to sleep last night until 3 am, same with the night before after being glutened over the weekend. I get jittery and all the rest, including worrying about cancer! I usually never think like that but yeah, this glutening affects so much more than my stomach. Luckily today I'm feeling a little better but still have lingering irritability and impatience. My dh made waffles and had bought a gluten free mix for me but still made mine regular with all the others (I know, I should have followed up and made sure he made mine correctly). I got very sick over the weekend.

binky1246 Rookie

It is nice to know I am not alone. This is the exact reaction that I get. It is a motivator to not eat gluten. My employees at work always comment how different I am when I have been glutened.

The worst part is all the worrying I do. Things that don't even matter. It takes so much effort to control myself, I usually just kind of disappear.

Thanks for letting me know I am not alone.

VioletBlue Contributor

Whew. Yes, it's nice to know you're not alone, wow, thank you.

I'm not even sure depression or rage or anger accurately describe it. The obsessive thinking is definitely part of it. The timing was what has made this last accidental glutening so bad. I have four wonderful aunts on my fathers side, all in their seventies and eighties. One of them had major bypass surgery rather suddenly last week and another was scheduled for major back surgery yesterday. Loosing these wonderful women was all I could think about after I was glutened and it was horrible. It's so hard to find a way to short circuit that kind of dark obsessive thinking. Every little thing just takes on such horrible significance. And the hard part is realizing I had been doing this for years prior to diagnosis last December. When I think of the people I may have hurt, the life decisions I made while I was thinking like that . . . I wonder how I survived to this point. It's almost enough to make me want to apologize to the former BF for what I put him through. But just almost, LOL.

Violet

tiffjake Enthusiast
It is nice to know I am not alone. This is the exact reaction that I get. It is a motivator to not eat gluten.

Ditto. I get so depressed, I worry that I might do something I would regret. I have to keep that in mind when I think I want gluten. That symptom, depression, is FAR worse than the stomach ache, to me anyway.

Matilda Enthusiast

Joni63 Collaborator

I can't believe this! I thought it was just me. I get irritable and edgy and angry. I also have repetative negative thoughts about things that I can't seem to stop, like about dying or tragedies or even something simple like I think I might have said something to hurt someones feelings. I will keep thinking about it and can't seem to get over it. Wierd.

I got glutened last thursday and it lasted 5 days. My 9 year old can always tell and she'll ask me if I'm feeling ok. I don't, I feel like I don't want to deal with anyone or anything because I feel horrible inside. I also sleep a lot.

But, yes once it's gone it's like wow I'm feeling great now.

This is so unreal that gluten can do this. It's like poison to us.

TrillumHunter Enthusiast

I get angry and short tempered with everyone in my path. It's a relief to hear that others have this as well. Two weeks ago I glutened myself through carelessness and I was a witch to the kids for three days. The fourth day I absolutely crashed one afternoon and had to sleep for three hours. After that I felt fine--like myself. I talked with the kids about it and they understood better why that happened and why it's happened in the past. It's scary to me to think of what could have happened if I hadn't gone gluten-free. Not having that happen is a big motivator to be cautious.

Joss Rookie

I ate some gluten yesterday and I ate some chocolate tonight. It was a Cadbury Dairy Milk and I hope it was gluten-free. Anyway I have a few more days before the effects of the gluten wear off. I am incredibly itchy and I have broken out in a skin rash. I think it was because I used some soap, but it also might be the glutening. I have lost all self control and I have scratched the rash and made it even itchier. I am staying out of my daughters way. She thinks it is all in my head anyway. I will get so mad at her I just might scream and rave on.

Oh to be normal!

loco-ladi Contributor

Rage?? gee that NEVER happens to me after a glutening

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it

um.... just dont ask that poor taxi driver from the other day, or um..... that new guy at work brian... um..... or a trainmaster or two and you definately do NOT want to ask my hubby!

I just cant figure out where those LIES they tell stem from

():-) <<~~~my innocent angel smiley ;)

Archived