Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

aeshlea

Is There Gluten In Vanilla Extract?

I just read somewhere the vanilla is not gluten free if it has an alcohol base?? Does anyone know this to be true? A lot of posts I have been looking at on here for the holidays have receipes that use vanilla extract..so I am confused.

Depression, asthma, a million enviromental allergies, psoriasis,

fatigue, sleepy after eating, extreme IBS symptoms, muscle and body pain apon waking, acne

when I never had it before - all developed (or at least became obvious) in the last 5 years

Diagnosed Gluten Intolerant November '07

Happily (for the most part) gluten free for 3 months, go me!

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I just read somewhere the vanilla is not gluten free if it has an alcohol base?? Does anyone know this to be true? A lot of posts I have been looking at on here for the holidays have receipes that use vanilla extract..so I am confused.

I just use powdered vanilla. I know it is gluten free.

Join eNewsletter

It used to be believed that distilled alcohol was a source of gluten. This is now generally accepted to be untrue. Vanilla extract is made from distilled alcohol, and is gluten free. There is still a lot of old information out there on the internet that says that vanilla has gluten in it. Vanilla extract is listed on the safe foods list here on celiac.com.

-Colleen

Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)

13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy

Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Join eNewsletter

HI, ok here we go.. McCormicks-- the Vanilla is gluten-free-- why? because the "alchol" in it is snythesized-- it is man made-- they told me it is safe- I use it for my daughter -- in her pancakes to add a little extra flavor-- she has had no problems.. Mc Cormicks is great- if they add something to their products it is listed on there.

glgl

lynn

Eat Well To Stay Well

Daughter Dx'd Celiac Jan 2007

Dx'd Aspergers June 2009

Join eNewsletter

My sister once told me that she has not once found a vanilla with gluten in it yet--I do not worry about it. She bakes so much and is a celiac, plus a dietician--so I do value her opinion.

Deb

Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

Join eNewsletter

:lol: Whew! I stayed up 'til 2am last night, working on a ...

gluten free

dairy free

soy free

egg free

cane sugar free

Pumpkin Pie!

And the only ingredient I was worried about was the vanilla. The forum here is so wonderful. Thanks everyone.

Oh, and if you think duplicate answers are useless, they're not. They only serve to confirm each other.

Looking back, the mysterious horrible itchy rash that I had when I was a teenager looked suspiciously like DH!

I've had a chronic sinus infection since forever.... And lots of other random unexplained stuff.

I used to think gluten was not a factor. I was sick but I didn't know why.

Gluten Free since Sept. 6, 2007........and feeling stronger every day!

Join eNewsletter

Is the McCormicks imitation vanilla also gluten free?

I WOULD THINK SO, I AM NOT SURE.. I WOULD JUST CALL OR EMAIL THEM.. THEY WERE WONDERFUL, AND VERY HELPFUL, AND THEY HAVE A REALLY COOL COOKING SITE, IN WHICH YOU CAN CHOOSE AND THEY SEND YOU EMAILS, SAMPLES ETC..

www.mccormicks.com

lynn

Eat Well To Stay Well

Daughter Dx'd Celiac Jan 2007

Dx'd Aspergers June 2009

Join eNewsletter

I WOULD THINK SO, I AM NOT SURE.. I WOULD JUST CALL OR EMAIL THEM.. THEY WERE WONDERFUL, AND VERY HELPFUL, AND THEY HAVE A REALLY COOL COOKING SITE, IN WHICH YOU CAN CHOOSE AND THEY SEND YOU EMAILS, SAMPLES ETC..

www.mccormicks.com

lynn

Try this link, the one you listed seems like a food site but it was a bit off so I looked it up on Google

mccormick

~Barb

Gluten Free October 18, 2007

YIPPEE for Gluten free

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter