This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Experience With Cold Tinkyada?

buffettbride

buffettbride Enthusiast

I make really good non-gluten-free pasta salad, but my experience with gluten-free pasta is it does NOT taste good cold, such as with leftovers that must be reheated.

I saw the Tinkyada multi-colored spirals in the store last week and picked some up, feeling hopeful about converting my old pasta salad recipe to gluten-free, but I'm worried it would just be one of those efforts that goes straight to the trash can. However, I'm hoping with the right dressing (I use Paul Newman's Olive Oil and Vinegar dressing) it might still be OK.

Any other thoughts or experiences with Tinkyada served cold? gluten-free pasta salad? Anyone? Anyone? Beuller? Beulller?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

I've used it in a pasta salad and had leftovers with it (cold) before. It's not the same as wheat based pasta, and it gets a bit more firm - slightly more firm than al dente, but it's still perfectly edible. If there's plenty of dressing, it helps moderate that effect, keeping it a touch softer.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

We use it in Macaroni salad all the time, Tarnalberry is correct, it is a bit more firm than wheat pasta but I have no complaints. In fact MIL uses it instead of wheat pasta all the time for family picnics, and by the end of the night the bowl is empty.

buffettbride Enthusiast

Thanks ladies! I was hoping the dressing would mitigate some of sticking-to-itself that happens when it is in the fridge. I think I'll give it a try this weekend. My pasta salad has always been a hit and it might be one more thing I could add to the packed-lunch menu as well. Plus, I want to try adding some salmon pieces to it to up my daughter's intake of VitD. and that would be a great place to do it.

Darn210 Enthusiast
Anyone? Anyone? Beuller? Beulller?

HeeHeeHee . . . Love that Movie

In 1930, the Republican-controlled House of Representatives, in an effort to alleviate the effects of the... Anyone? Anyone?... the Great Depression, passed the... Anyone? Anyone? The tariff bill? The Hawley-Smoot Tariff Act? Which, anyone? Raised or lowered?... raised tariffs, in an effort to collect more revenue for the federal government. Did it work? Anyone? Anyone know the effects? It did not work, and the United States sank deeper into the Great Depression. . .

Hmmmm, just did a taste test with some cold Tinkyada from the fridge . . . texture may be an issue. I'd make a small batch or start with leftover (nonsauced) pasta from something else. Let us know how it turns out.

Ridgewalker Contributor
In 1930, the Republican-controlled House of Representatives, in an effort to alleviate the effects of the... Anyone? Anyone?... the Great Depression, passed the... Anyone? Anyone? The tariff bill? The Hawley-Smoot Tariff Act? Which, anyone? Raised or lowered?... raised tariffs, in an effort to collect more revenue for the federal government. Did it work? Anyone? Anyone know the effects? It did not work, and the United States sank deeper into the Great Depression. . .

Janet! You just made my eyes cross! :P Now I'm dealing with wretched flashbacks of Social Studies classes, *barf.*

I have made mac salad with Tinkyada... but once it's been in the fridge for a day or two, the pasta gets downright HARD. Maybe if I cooked it a little longer than I normally would? :blink: That's so contra-intuitive, especially for gluten-free pasta.... but I may give that a try.

buffettbride Enthusiast
Janet! You just made my eyes cross! :P Now I'm dealing with wretched flashbacks of Social Studies classes, *barf.*

I have made mac salad with Tinkyada... but once it's been in the fridge for a day or two, the pasta gets downright HARD. Maybe if I cooked it a little longer than I normally would? :blink: That's so contra-intuitive, especially for gluten-free pasta.... but I may give that a try.

everything gluten free is bass-ackwards. :lol: just when you think you know how it should be, you have to do it exactly the opposite to make it edible. one mistake along the way and you have hockey pucks or dog biscuits!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

I've made a pasta salad with the Tinkyada that was okay. Not as good as it would have been as a glutened one.

I undercooked it a TINY bit so it wouldn't fall apart.

I would maybe half the recipe and try it...then you wouldn't be wasting as much if it doesnt turn out the way you'd like it too.

mrg8610 Rookie

I've made pasta salad before using the Dr. Schar fusilli or penne and it comes out great. I do not have to eat gluten free so I know what regular pasta tastes and feels like and this is extremely close, to the point of not being noticeable to non celiacs. I make a caesar chicken pasta salad that I take to parties, bbq's etc. and everyone loves it.

Glutenfreefamily Enthusiast

I have made macaroni salad with deboles penne and it came out pretty good.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
I have made macaroni salad with deboles penne and it came out pretty good.

I've made pasta salad a number of times with Tinkyada (or teekiyaka as my mother calls it) and I have always used mayonnaise in my pasta salads, and I've always had wonderful results. I usually just throw some peas, tuna or salmon, maybe little chunks of cheese, and pasta in a bowl, and add Hellmans which says gluten-free right on the label whoohoo!!!!! And a crapload of Seeds of Change red pepper vinaigrette. You really need lots of dressing, but I've had it up to two days later no problems, once I figured out how much dressing is required. I have also learned that you just can't keep rice pasta in the fridge without saucing it in some way. It just gets dry and sticky and gross.

Archived