Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Green12

Christmas Eve/christmas Menus

I'm a dumper, I don't usually measure ingredients.

That's how I cook most of the time too :lol:

I'm thinking about making rolls too, instead of cornbread or biscuits that we typically have with our Christmas Eve chili/stew.

I got an idea watching a cooking show for a roll "wreath". They used frozen dough rolls to form the wreath, but I think I'll make up the Pamela's Amazing Wheat Free Bread dough and then form rolls out of it. I hope it bakes up ok, I can't imagine it not, but if it doesn't at least it will be in a circle :P

That's how I cook most of the time too :lol:

I'm thinking about making rolls too, instead of cornbread or biscuits that we typically have with our Christmas Eve chili/stew.

I got an idea watching a cooking show for a roll "wreath". They used frozen dough rolls to form the wreath, but I think I'll make up the Pamela's Amazing Wheat Free Bread dough and then form rolls out of it. I hope it bakes up ok, I can't imagine it not, but if it doesn't at least it will be in a circle :P

I tried that roll thing, it didn't work for me. The dough was to 'doughy' :D But I put it in the bundt pan anyway and it was at least shaped like a wreath-just didn't pull apart!

I make the Pamela's gluten-free 'wheat' bread mix and I just add dried rosemary to the dry ingredients and chopped kalamata olives to the wet ingredients, then mix as directed and I put them into muffin tins to rest and bake, they are soooo goooood, but I have to apologize--I'm a dumper, I don't usually measure ingredients. I'm guessing maybe 1(??) TBS rosemary and I just add enough olives until it looks right for my taste. you could also use whole garlic cloves instead of the olives--equally as tasty!!

good enough :) can't wait to give these a try. i just bought a jar of olives and have been craving a good recipe!

We will go to my grandmother's house. Luckily my family is good at cooking gluten free for my son.

We will have:

Ham

Scalloped potatoes

Green bean casserole (not gluten-free but my son would not eat it anyway)

various salads and appetisers

Pamela's wheat free bread mix made into rolls using the sweet bread recipe

LOTS of gluten-free cookies and candy (chocolate thumbprints with caramel filling, sugar cookies, the flourless peanut butter cookies posted here, double decker fudge, rocky road fudge and ?)

Chocolate mousse pie

peppermint bark cheese cake

I've never hosted Christmas before (particularly because I'm Jewish), but my husband is Roman Catholic.

Before I met him Christmas consisted of Chinese food and movies (aka Jewish Christmas), but now I celebrate both Chanukah and Christmas. We always go to his grandma's house for Christmas Eve and his parents house Christmas day. Which is pretty much the same thing since they live across the street from one another (think Everybody Loves Raymond). And actually in recent years it has been a joke that I have started Jewish Christmas at his parents house the day of, since no one really feels like going back over to his grandma's and we would just sit and stare at each other. So one year I suggested, Chinese food and a movie and it's since become our new tradition.

But long story short (to late), since we now have a puppy, we didn't want to have to schlepp him out there both days so we offered to do Christmas day.

There are 2 Chinese restuarants by me that have gluten-free menus and I considered continuing the tradition but I feel like since we did offer to do this, I should do it right.

As of now I am planning on making:

Appetizers:

- Deviled Eggs

- Crudite

Salad

Main:

- Pork Roast

- Green Beans

- Either mashed potatoes or some type of sweet potatoes

Dessert

- Coconut Cake (recipe from Annalise Robert's book)

or

- Cheesecake

I've never hosted Christmas before (particularly because I'm Jewish), but my husband is Roman Catholic.

Before I met him Christmas consisted of Chinese food and movies (aka Jewish Christmas), but now I celebrate both Chanukah and Christmas. We always go to his grandma's house for Christmas Eve and his parents house Christmas day. Which is pretty much the same thing since they live across the street from one another (think Everybody Loves Raymond). And actually in recent years it has been a joke that I have started Jewish Christmas at his parents house the day of, since no one really feels like going back over to his grandma's and we would just sit and stare at each other. So one year I suggested, Chinese food and a movie and it's since become our new tradition.

But long story short (to late), since we now have a puppy, we didn't want to have to schlepp him out there both days so we offered to do Christmas day.

There are 2 Chinese restuarants by me that have gluten-free menus and I considered continuing the tradition but I feel like since we did offer to do this, I should do it right.

As of now I am planning on making:

Appetizers:

- Deviled Eggs

- Crudite

Salad

Main:

- Pork Roast

- Green Beans

- Either mashed potatoes or some type of sweet potatoes

Dessert

- Coconut Cake (recipe from Annalise Robert's book)

or

- Cheesecake

First question - what's crudite? Second question - don't Jews not eat pork? I had a friend in high school who was Jewish, and she'd eat bacon cheesburgers, but only because her mom wasn't around. And she always felt guilty afterward. Just wondering :)

This thread is making me hungry!

Traditionally, we used to have turkey and stuffing and the works. But it became too much work to do that meal on Christmas so we usually have:

Ham

Scalloped Potatoes

Green Bean Casserole

Candied Yams

Usually Pumpkin Pie, but I might try a Banana Cream pie or Apple Pie this year

Cookies - Chocolate chip, rolled sugar cookies, and no bake peanut butter with hershey kisses on top, I might try coconut macaroons

Appetizer tray: Pickles, Cheese, Pepperoni, Celery, Carrots

Oh and my husbands family tradition: Pineapple dip with fritos