This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hair Still Falling Out!

Babygirl6915

Babygirl6915 Explorer

Hello All,

It has been quite a while since I have posted on here but I need your wisdom again! My hair has been slowly falling out for over a year now but I figured it would stop when I started my gluten-free Diet. Well, it still has not stopped & it is starting to reach noticable levels. Now I don't have celiac I have wheat allergies. I have also switched to all Allergen-Free Bedding (or @ least it says it is) so I am pretty sure that is not the problem. Here is a list of all the products I currently use. Please feel free to make ANY comments or suggestions!!!!

Kerastase Chroma Reflect Shampoo

Kerastase Chroma Reflect Thin Hair Mask

Kerastase Chroma Reflect Protect Cream

Matrix Amplify Mousse

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CarlaB Enthusiast

How's your thyroid?

I lost a lot of hair due to Lyme Disease .... but if you're feeling healthy otherwise, that wouldn't make sense for you.

Have you had all your vitamin/mineral levels checked?

What about hormones?

My hair has grown back just as thick as it used to be ... just thought you'd like to hear that. :)

Babygirl6915 Explorer
How's your thyroid?

I lost a lot of hair due to Lyme Disease .... but if you're feeling healthy otherwise, that wouldn't make sense for you.

Have you had all your vitamin/mineral levels checked?

What about hormones?

My hair has grown back just as thick as it used to be ... just thought you'd like to hear that. :)

I have been told by my Internalist that my thyroid is in the acceptable range... I was quite sure I had a thyroid problem before I found out about my wheat allergies but once I went gluten-free all my other symptoms that were possible thyroid symptoms have gone away. I have been to tons of Dr.'s & they all say my thyroid levels are acceptable. But my head itches a bit too sometimes so I am leaning towards allergies still. If the consesus is that all my products are same then I will probably explore the thyroid issue again.

Thanks for the input Carla!

CarlaB Enthusiast

My thyroid tests in the acceptable range, too. However, it was at the low end of normal. My doctor did some more testing, which was also low normal. Because of the symptoms, he started me on a small amount of Armour thryoid every day and it's helped a lot .... but I was having symptoms -- fatigue, etc.

But for YEARS doctors insisted it was okay until I saw this other doctor who was willing to treat me even though I was in the so-called "normal" range.

I hope you find out what's causing it soon!

Do you take B Vitamins? Biotin especially is essential for hair.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Hello All,

It has been quite a while since I have posted on here but I need your wisdom again! My hair has been slowly falling out for over a year now but I figured it would stop when I started my gluten-free Diet. Well, it still has not stopped & it is starting to reach noticable levels. Now I don't have celiac I have wheat allergies. I have also switched to all Allergen-Free Bedding (or @ least it says it is) so I am pretty sure that is not the problem. Here is a list of all the products I currently use. Please feel free to make ANY comments or suggestions!!!!

Matrix Amplify Mousse

From their website:

K

casnco Enthusiast
Hello All,

Matrix Amplify Mousse

I have had the same problem. I checked all my products. they did not say Gluten Free but they do not mention any known gluten. Had my throid tested and I am a "low normal". No treatment. Stopped coloring my hair. Still no relief. Then I went to my herbalist and we are treating for stress. This seems to be helping. Also, about 2 months ago my stylist told me they now carried a Gluten Free product. And it actually says "gluten free" on it. So I buy all of that line now. Not worth the risk when I can have something that is willing to promise gluten-free. This product is made specifically for the salon so I don't know where you can buy it. If you would like to call them I can get their phone number. My hair still falls out a little but I am not afraid of being bald. I attribute this to both my herbalist and my new hair products. Good Luck and I hope you find your answeres here.

Babygirl6915 Explorer
I have had the same problem. I checked all my products. they did not say Gluten Free but they do not mention any known gluten. Had my throid tested and I am a "low normal". No treatment. Stopped coloring my hair. Still no relief. Then I went to my herbalist and we are treating for stress. This seems to be helping. Also, about 2 months ago my stylist told me they now carried a Gluten Free product. And it actually says "gluten free" on it. So I buy all of that line now. Not worth the risk when I can have something that is willing to promise gluten-free. This product is made specifically for the salon so I don't know where you can buy it. If you would like to call them I can get their phone number. My hair still falls out a little but I am not afraid of being bald. I attribute this to both my herbalist and my new hair products. Good Luck and I hope you find your answeres here.

Would Accupunture help me? I used to do it alot & loved it but I am in between insurance coverage right now so I stopped. Can't start again until Feb but maybe that might help? He also mentioned helping with my thyroid last time I was there so maybe that might be good...

I still want to make sure that it is not my hair products thought. I went & got some Wella Color Preserve products last night b/c my sister who is a hair dresser told me their products are hypoallergenic & very low sulfite content. Nothing on the label suggested gluten but there is no info on their website. How long would it take before I should notice a difference if it is my hair products causing this?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

LRgirl Explorer
Would Accupunture help me? I used to do it alot & loved it but I am in between insurance coverage right now so I stopped. Can't start again until Feb but maybe that might help? He also mentioned helping with my thyroid last time I was there so maybe that might be good...

I still want to make sure that it is not my hair products thought. I went & got some Wella Color Preserve products last night b/c my sister who is a hair dresser told me their products are hypoallergenic & very low sulfite content. Nothing on the label suggested gluten but there is no info on their website. How long would it take before I should notice a difference if it is my hair products causing this?

Hi Babygirl6915,

My hair came out in patches until the entire back of my head was almost bald. I have reactions to other foods (peanuts, rice, egg whites, dairy (lactose intolerant) I see that you have non-food allergies to grass, trees, mold and dust mites like me. You should try an air purifier to trap allergens, if you don't already have one. We also removed the carpet in my room because dust mites thrive in old carpet. Once I did all of this, not only has my hair has grown back, i've noticed it's much thicker. However, It DID take a year for my hair to grow back because my scalp needed to heal. Good luck to you!

Traci

mftnchn Explorer

I had a sudden and severe hair loss two years ago, bad enough I had to wear wigs for awhile. I agree with the posters re:

--thyroid. I'd suggest doing basal body temperatures for awhile. Thyroid problems are often underdiagnosed.

--hormones. My hair stylist says they see this commonly with higher progesterone levels.

Other guesses: vitamin, mineral levels, allergies to other ingredients in the hair products.

Celiac and lyme also can cause this but your symptom improvement doesn't suggest this it seems like.

lonewolf Collaborator

I wish I could offer some suggestions, but I'm in the same boat. Only mine has been going on for a lot longer. When I was on large doses of prednisone a few years ago my hair got really thin and hasn't grown in much. I'm already on thyroid (Armour), have had all my vitamin/mineral levels tested - they were all great except for D, which has come up a lot and is well within normal range now, my hormone levels are all fine and neither the dermatologist nor my naturopath can find anything "wrong" with me. I even feel great, except for embarrassment about my thin hair and some psoriasis on my scalp, arms and legs. I'm takin biotin and another vitamin/herb formula made specially for healthy skin and hair - no luck from anything. Not meaning to be a downer, but you might not find any reason for your thin hair, although if you do I'd love to hear what helps you!

ravenwoodglass Mentor

One last thing that may or may not pertain. After an severe illness triggered an increase in my issues with soy and casien I had many shampoos that I had used previously that were gluten-free that all of a sudden started to make my head itch and my hair loss increase again. It turned out to be a reaction to the soy. I am now getting some regrowth again after yet another expensive toiletries tossing.

Babygirl6915 Explorer
One last thing that may or may not pertain. After an severe illness triggered an increase in my issues with soy and casien I had many shampoos that I had used previously that were gluten-free that all of a sudden started to make my head itch and my hair loss increase again. It turned out to be a reaction to the soy. I am now getting some regrowth again after yet another expensive toiletries tossing.

I wonder if I need to get another allergy test then... I have not had any severe illness but I am stressed to the max dealing with the impending death of my fiancee (colon cancer, 2nd time). My doctor told me that I might experience some more severe responses while I am dealing with all this but I never thought about gaining new allergies.

LizMaude Newbie

Stress can cause your hair to fall out.

Here's some info from Mayo Clinic:

The most common type of stress-induced hair loss is telogen effluvium. In this condition, severe stress

ravenwoodglass Mentor
I wonder if I need to get another allergy test then... I have not had any severe illness but I am stressed to the max dealing with the impending death of my fiancee (colon cancer, 2nd time). My doctor told me that I might experience some more severe responses while I am dealing with all this but I never thought about gaining new allergies.

I am so sorry about your fiancee. Stress can play a big part in hair loss also, as mentioned. Try to take care of yourself nutritionally and acupuncture might help you deal a bit better with the stress.

I would just check and see if any of the shampoos or conditioners have soy. If your scalp issues improve that would be a good indication that your skin doesn't like it. If you are wondering if orally injested soy might be an issue and you don't have the inclination or time for testing you could try just taking it out of your diet, yea not as easy as it sounds I know, and then adding it back in after a bit to see if you react.

Take care.

loraleena Contributor

Babygirl. What thyroid test did you have? The TSH is useless and that is what most doctors do. The range is .3-3. Many docs still use the old range that goes up to 5. Anything over 2 is a problem. Also you need to have the whole thyroid panel done especially the Thyroid peroxidase antibodies. This shows if your body is making antibodies towards your thyroid. It is called Hashimotos hypothyroidism. I finally found out I had this despite years of normal TSH tests. Demand to see your test results. Never take a doctors word for it. Pm me with your tests if you like. I hope to help.

Babygirl6915 Explorer
Babygirl. What thyroid test did you have? The TSH is useless and that is what most doctors do. The range is .3-3. Many docs still use the old range that goes up to 5. Anything over 2 is a problem. Also you need to have the whole thyroid panel done especially the Thyroid peroxidase antibodies. This shows if your body is making antibodies towards your thyroid. It is called Hashimotos hypothyroidism. I finally found out I had this despite years of normal TSH tests. Demand to see your test results. Never take a doctors word for it. Pm me with your tests if you like. I hope to help.

It has been so long since I had the test I don't remember. Let me see if I can find the results. I posted them on here a while back....

Babygirl6915 Explorer

Loraleena...

Here is what I found in an old post. I know there is more than this but I don't know where the paperwork is!

Cortisol (Free) - 24.2 (4.0-50.0)

Urine Creatine- 0.92 (0.63-2.50)

Testosterone (Free) - 1.3 (0.1-6.4)

Testosterone (Total) - 23 (2-45)

DHEA- 147 (45-320)

Progesterone level was a 32 in a range of 30-100

FSH- <0.7

LH- <0.2

TSH- 1.80 (0.40-5.50)

T-4 (Free) - 1.1 (0.8-1.8)

I am 24 if my age is @ all important.

Archived