Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

elye

Gluten-free Beer

My husband just got his official gluten intolerant diagnosis, so now there are three of us...DS is celiac, and DD chooses to believe her negative blood panel and continue to eat pizza and burgers--for now.

I have never been a real beer drinker, so I didn't bother to search out gluten-free beer when I was diagnosed. However, my husband really enjoys a beer after work, so I'm on the search. We have found La Messegere, available in Quebec, so my husband headed across the bridge and brought some home. It's passable. Does anyone know of any other gluten-free beer available in Ontario or Quebec (or even Northern NY)?

Emily

diagnosed type one diabetic 1973

diagnosed celiac winter 2005

diagnosed hypothyroid spring 2006

But healthy and happy! 253.gif

11 year-old Son had negative blood panel, but went on gluten-free diet of his own volition to see if his concentration would improve, his temper abate, and his energy level would increase. Miraculous response!

The great are great only because we are on our knees.

--Pierre Joseph Proudhon (1809-1865)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

There was a thread on here a while back about Redbridge... gotta say it's pretty good. Made by Anheiser Busch. And you can find it at WalMart if you have one close by.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007

IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive

Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008

Soy free Jan 09

Emily,

Can you get Redbridge? I'm sure it's available in northern NY, don't know about Canada. It's really good--I'm not an expert on beer by any means, but I liked it :)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

I don't know if it's available there (I'm not there :) ), but I like Bard's Tale.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

I brought home Red Bridge beer one day even though I have never liked beer. My gluten eating husband liked it enough to drink it in place of his Bohemia until the six pack was gone.

Phyllis

Gluten Free - 30 years

La Messegere is available in Ontario at selected LCBO outlets. You can find the stores that carry it be using the the search function on the site linked to just above. If yours does not carry it, they can order it for you. It retails in a six-pack, but the distribution unit to the store is a case of four six-packs. Last time I did the research, there was no other gluten-free beer to be found in Ontario. For me, travel to New York state is two hours each way on a good day--longer if there is a backlog at the border. I went beer-free for many years until the arrival of La Messegere, so I had plenty of time to forget what real beer tasted like. It's certainly not Guiness. ;)

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

Have you considered cider as an alternative? I was a beer drinker too, and I"m learning to like cider. Magners Irish Cider is gluten-free and not bad. There's also Strongbow and Woodchuck, though I've never tried them. You can get Magners and Strongbow in LCBO. Never looked for Woodchuck, so I'm not sure if they have it.