Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thumper

Hey What Do You Do To De-stress ?

Hey All,

I love the CSI humor going on right now I laughed so hard. I agree that humor is great to destress but I also have found out that stress certainly makes my symptoms worse. I just started to feel alittle better and then wham came the stress.... I do things like reading, knitting, crocheting and walks when I am not running to the bathroom...lol..

I would just like some fresh ideas and would love to hear from everyone what they do to unwind..

Thumper

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Once the weather clears up I like to do yardwork and gardening. I don't plant alot but nuturing even a few things is rewarding and relaxing. A friend gave me cherry tomato plants last year. This year I plan to grow them again plus some herbs and a zucchini plant or two.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Join eNewsletter

Running or kickboxing. Kickboxing is great for a really bad day!

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

Join eNewsletter

I'm a big fan of yoga and playing the piano is quite soothing.

Gina

gluten-free since 2001

Son dx celiac March 2005

Join eNewsletter

Have you tried a heating pad? That might help. Using one of those while knitting or something like that may help a little.

symptoms-october 5th, 2007

negative endoscopy and colonoscopy-december 2007

positive bloodwork-january 2008

diagnosed celiac-january 8, 2008

"At the end of the day, the fact that we're still here is reason enough to celebrate."

Join eNewsletter

yoga, hiking, suduko.

Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"

Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy

G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004

Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me

Bellevue, WA

Join eNewsletter

i love to garden, especially veggies! i also love taking baths, or curling up with a hot bean bag and a good chick flick. sometimes having a sappy-movie-induced-cry is very detoxing :D

Sweetfudge

Born and raised in Portland, OR; Currently living in Provo, UT

Gluten-free since June 2006

Also living with Hypoglycemia since 1991

Dairy-free for good since summer 2008

Started IBS diet and probiotics at GI's recommendation - Fall 2008

Also avoiding: potatoes, beans, crucifers, popcorn, most red meat, coconut milk :(

Started eating a Paleo diet Spring 2011. Love it!

The grass is always greener where you water it.

Join eNewsletter

I meditate for 20 minutes every day B)

Collette

Positive Bloodwork Oct 1st 2007. Gluten-free 3 YEARS Oct 1st!

Dairy & Soy free since Dec 1st 2007.

Potato free since January 3rd 2008.

Remaining Nightshades since April 1st 2008. Back on September 2010. :)

Developed Rice & Tapioca & Corn Intolerances...

NO Carageenan.

In a constant state of evolution... sending love! :)

Join eNewsletter

For me it's gardening. Not the fruit trees that my job requires but small potted plants and finding or making strange pots to hold them. I have a small coffee tree growing inside a old coffee pot -- rubber tree growing inside a tire. Back yard full of veggies.

Even bought a used fridge we keep outside so I can grow flowers that need a dormant cold time that we dont get in Hawaii.

Digging in the dirt as always relaxing!

Hey All,

I love the CSI humor going on right now I laughed so hard. I agree that humor is great to destress but I also have found out that stress certainly makes my symptoms worse. I just started to feel alittle better and then wham came the stress.... I do things like reading, knitting, crocheting and walks when I am not running to the bathroom...lol..

I would just like some fresh ideas and would love to hear from everyone what they do to unwind..

Thumper

"Ryo tatereba mi ga tatanu"

If we try to serve both sides, we cannot stand our own ground.

Japanese proverb

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Join eNewsletter

sometimes having a sappy-movie-induced-cry is very detoxing :D

So true.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Join eNewsletter

I read a lot to relax, but my major problem de-stressers are sex and laser tag. And DVD comedians like Carlos Mencia and Lewis Black.

yep sex is the best de-stressor i know of. I also play iwth my kids or play my online games on pogo or take an walk, or an bathe, or sometimes i just count to 10 and im un-stessed. I really dont get stressed to often and having 5 kids, you would think i would lol

paula

gluten, casein and soy free

on low carb/low sugar diet

Join eNewsletter

I read, cook(I love cooking), garden (I have a big garden and I can get lost for hours in it), read, sudoku, go for long walks at the beach (I live close to one), ride my bike and like a few others have stated, sex is the best for destressing (now if only I could get my hubby home from work, the workoholic). lol

Join eNewsletter

Baking, learning a new piece on the piano (which I'm terrible at so it really takes a TON of concentration and takes my mind off the stress lol), playing the violin (which I'm not terrible at!)

but the biggest one...YOGA. Seriously, it's amazing. And I'm not really into the whole new-age thing, half the time I probably don't do the breathing or poses right. But the quiet, dark room, music, candles, and stretching works WONDERS. If your joints are in bad shape, you can do very simple classes. But it's so worth it. Many places offer a trial class for free, I took a few classes and now I just do it occasionally on my own with a DVD.

Gluten Free since 10/07

Mildly Lactose Intolerant, slight intestinal symptoms after eating milk products, but easily corrected with lactase enzyme

Endometriosis- DX'd 5/07

Gluten Antibodies- "negative"...don't know exact numbers, am highly suspicious...

DXed celiac 12-19-07 via genetics/elimination diet- DQ2 allele

Brother with Celiac, aspergers...his tests were all negative (he didn't have genetics done), including endoscopy, but he definitely is at the least gluten intolerant...highly suspect my mother has it as well- she has hyperthyroid, fibromyalgia, hemochromatosis, and now colon cancer, and she has been weak and exhausted and just generally sick. She's going to get tested.

Join eNewsletter

I've done yoga most of my life (I used to do the yoga, that was on TV, with my grandmother) but with my fibromyalgia I have chronic sciatica. I have it under control, with the help of my chiropractor, but any exercise that involves dural stretching activates the sciatica (I had no relief from sciatica for 3 years until I found this chiro) and every yoga class I have ever tried, including the gentlest ones, have me running to the chiropractor. Which was just way too costly. I miss yoga and I have had to re-define exercise and what I can do before I have flare ups.

Join eNewsletter

For me it's gardening. Not the fruit trees that my job requires but small potted plants and finding or making strange pots to hold them. I have a small coffee tree growing inside a old coffee pot -- rubber tree growing inside a tire.

Your creativity is interesting and fun. Coffee tree inside a coffee pot...rubber tree inside a rubber tire...hee hee! That's awesome! B)

Personally,

I like to write poetry and short stories, read non-fiction, watch a comedy on TV, decorate my house, cook (still can't find my dang cookbooks) <_< , and work on small craft projects.

Of course, sometimes nothing is as therapeutic as sleep or a good cry. ;)

-Julie

Loves of my life: God, my hubby, and my baby boy!

"I will never give up on my dreams; I will simply modify my path for reaching them." (JH-me).

"Life's a dance you learn as you go, sometimes you lead, sometimes you follow"

(John Michael Montgomery).

"I'm gonna be somebody, one of these days I'm gonna break these chains" (Travis Tritt).

"Life is better left to chance. I could have missed the pain, but I'd have had to miss the dance."

(Garth Brooks).

Join eNewsletter

I meditate, but my all time fav. is to put on some music, play it LOUD, sing with it, rock out and dance around the house. To me there is nothing better to do when destressing....unless it's a bath with bubbles, music and a glass of wine in my hand!

all my life i have had an oat allergy.

gluten-free 5/2005.

active yeast free since... don't remember.

refined sugar free 5/2010.

Join eNewsletter

I cook! There is something about it that just puts me in a happy place. Even when what I make is a total flop destined for the squirrels or the trash. And I listen to music and dance around while I do it. You just have to be careful not to accidentally splash yourself with hot sauces or step on the errant pepper or peanut. I make my boyfriend clean up :D

And I paint, garden (I love spring bulbs! Such a joy to look forward to in this climate) or play elaborate (nice) jokes on my poor colleagues. Sometimes I leave them surprises like organic kumquats or chocolate bars tied to baloons stuffed in their office and I laugh hysterically to think of them finding it in the morning. Especially when they are having a hard time. For example, I bought our secretary roses to celebrate her divorce on V-Day-- that sort of thing. There is a lot of joy in the planning and exection and it just takes my cares away. Plus it makes work much nicer.

And I love movies. I go on movie binges where I might watch 2-3 in a row or 5 during the course of a weekend. But scary movies are not really very effective, I think. I like foreign films.

And then there is the classic-- shopping! I shop for shoes. Love shoes. Have a room for them (lots of stress!) Or kitchen gadgets.

And of course, hot baths (with a decadent lotion application afterwards), fires, long walks outdoors, massages, getting your hair done, reading a fantastic novel and cuddling with your beloved. I also like to paint my townails a color I would never dare use on my fingers. It is like having a little happy secret surprise!

Join eNewsletter

Wow, some really great answers here. I also love to cook, paint, sing along to some great music, cry with a sappy movie etc. but I definitely agree that sex is an awesome de-stresser.

I can't believe no one said one of my favorites. Fish. I adore watching my fish tanks. We have one in our bedroom and a big one in the office. They are so relaxing; to see the corals sway back and forth and the different types of fish, some schooling, some perched, others lazily meandering around the caves and rocks. Watching odd sand sifters scooping mouthfulls and letting it fall behind as they swim away. Just observing behaviors of crabs busily picking off and consuming algae or cleaner shrimp grooming a fish while they take pleasure in the service. And, ahhhhh, nothing beats the soothing sounds of flowing water.

Oh yeah, all that is good, but sometimes the best thing in the whole world is (first smelling, then...) eating a warm chocolate-chip cookie fresh out of the oven. I'm going to make cookies!

"...I tried to explain to the waiter that I could not have anything with flour so he took the flower off the table..."

Live your life each day

greet the tides my friend

we're all nomads; forever on our way

a journey to the end.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter