This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Soda Pop

bakingbarb

bakingbarb Enthusiast

I guess this was foolish on my part but I never ever considered soda an issue, although I do not drink it often and usually drink sprite anyways. :( I was drinking Dr. Pepper about a week ago and I got the big D big time and for the life of me I couldn't figure it out. Caramel color I assume is the issue?

Makes me sick just to think about it. I need to review a hidden glutens list again. We have become so much better at reading labels but this one just caught me by surprise.

Is this how cc happens at a bar? Is the pop dispenser is the problem?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Franceen Explorer

Caramel Color in the USA is supposedly gluten free although outside US it can be made from Barley Malt.

I have never had a problem with caramel color and I eat a lot of stuff with it in it - I don't drink soda often but I have had both Coke and Dr. Pepper and Pepsi and Dr. Pip and many others that have caramel color in them with no problem.

OH, Coca-cola and Pepsi products are all gluten free according to multiple lists as well as their own websites.

Here is a cut and paste from the Coca Cola site about caramel color: It is made from corn.

Caramel color is derived from corn or cane sugar. It is made commercially by heating sugar and other carbohydrates under controlled conditions to achieve the desired color. Caramel color is approved by the FDA and is safe.

Additionally, there is no food coloring in caramel coloring.

back1.webp

• Open Original Shared Link

jerseyangel Proficient

Dr. Pepper is gluten-free, but did you mean that you had it at a bar? If so, there could have been some cross contamination from a nozzle or a glass that was wiped with the same cloth that touched beer, etc.

irish daveyboy Community Regular
I guess this was foolish on my part but I never ever considered soda an issue, although I do not drink it often and usually drink sprite anyways. :( I was drinking Dr. Pepper about a week ago and I got the big D big time and for the life of me I couldn't figure it out. Caramel color I assume is the issue?

Makes me sick just to think about it. I need to review a hidden glutens list again. We have become so much better at reading labels but this one just caught me by surprise.

Is this how cc happens at a bar? Is the pop dispenser is the problem?

Hi Barbara,

I don't know about your side, but here in Ireland people drink beer shandies! !

The glass is filled to within an inch of the top with beer and then the 'soda pop' is added,

if it is the same over there it could be CC.

Not all 'soda pop' colouring is caramel it could also be 'Beta-Carotene' I know this was found

to be my Migraine Headache trigger when i did a complete allergy assay test.

Maybe if you drink 'soda pop' in the future get it in a bottle and not from a multi flavour dispenser.

Best Regards,

David

kbtoyssni Contributor

The glass is filled to within an inch of the top with beer and then the 'soda pop' is added,

This is a very uncommon drink in the states. I make them a lot, and the first few times my friends asked "what the heck are you doing????" Bars in general make me nervous. Heck, I've watched them pour a beer then reach into the bucket of lemons/limes, and possibly CC them. It's not a ideal situation, but I'll admit that I still pretty much drink what I want in a bar and don't worry about this stuff. Maybe I should worry more. If I were more sensitive I probably would worry.

bakingbarb Enthusiast

Hmmm, I am having some issues from something then and I dont know what. Day in and day out I am fine and then all of a sudden when I started drinking the pop I got sick so I assumed that was it. If it isn't the pop then I am going to have to figure it out.

I was drinking the pop at home so I just assumed it was the issue. Of course after I gave up the pop I started eating cadbury mini eggs. Cripes!

Probably I just need to drop all the extra foods and eat a simple diet for a bit to get my tummy back under control. Worse yet we have plans to go out tonight as both my sons had their birthday this past week.

So how does a person drink at a bar without getting sick? Smirnoff ice that comes in a bottle? Blech. I mean its ok but it isn't my fav, lime makes it better but that brings in the cc issues.

ARGH the more I think about this the worse it is getting!

brendygirl Community Regular

We can't have Smirnoff Ice, due to malt flavoring. In fact we can only have certain flavors of Smirnoff at all.

We can have alcoholic ciders like Woodchuck.

I often drink Jack N Coke, and Tequila drinks when I am out. I have not had cc. I watch them when they make my drink and if it looked like they were dipping stuff into beer or anything, I wouldn't order.

I have acquired a taste for wine since becoming celiac. I like chiante.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

happygirl Collaborator

Smirnoff Ice, in the USA, is a malt beverage and is NOT safe.

bakingbarb Enthusiast
Smirnoff Ice, in the USA, is a malt beverage and is NOT safe.

Well then that might explain a few things!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry::angry::angry:

Just when I think I have this figured out I learn something else. Why on earth did I not understand this?

bakingbarb Enthusiast
Hi Barbara,

Not all 'soda pop' colouring is caramel it could also be 'Beta-Carotene' I know this was found

to be my Migraine Headache trigger when i did a complete allergy assay test.

Maybe if you drink 'soda pop' in the future get it in a bottle and not from a multi flavour dispenser.

Best Regards,

David

David, I have not heard of that before. The only thing similar was V8 and beer or apple cider and beer, neither of which sound good to me!

I am getting very confused on all this stuff, caramel color is or isn't safe? One place I read it is another place I read it isn't. Obviously there is a lot of misinformation.

bakingbarb Enthusiast

I found a very interesting bit of writing by Open Original Shared Link, the way she explains things makes it easy to understand. This will help me stay away from more foods now.

Archived