Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MELINE

Doc Said I Should Find Gluten Free Sugar....?

So my doc said I should find gluten-free sugar cause sugar has gluten.....???Is that true????????

Celiac September 2007

Graves disease June 2008

Candida overgrowth / started treatment November 2008

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

My box of C&H Pure Cane sugar (granulated white) only has one ingredient - Sugar. Sugar is gluten free. Always read the ingredients though just in case something else has been added.

Phyllis

Gluten Free - 30 years

Join eNewsletter

That's up there w/ the craziest things I'VE ever heard a Dr say!!

At least it's not harmful or dangerous, unlike some other statements Dr.s have made.

Certainly a new one tho. Never heard anyone talking about gluten-free sugar! :blink:

>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03

Dairy-free since 10-04

Soy-free since 5-07

Join eNewsletter

Perhaps he is confusing gluten and corn and was saying to avoid powdered sugar since it is often mixed with cornstarch? That's my best guess for a silly doctor.

---------------------------------

MP - celiac for 10 years

Join eNewsletter

actually I hope he is not such an idiot......from what you are saying I guess that if he actually said so he must be one...I'll ask him again cause that is what I heard but I was half sleeping after the biopsy and he was talking to my mom ....thank you all for the information

Celiac September 2007

Graves disease June 2008

Join eNewsletter

Maybe it's different in Greece?

Gluten Free since 10/07

Mildly Lactose Intolerant, slight intestinal symptoms after eating milk products, but easily corrected with lactase enzyme

Endometriosis- DX'd 5/07

Gluten Antibodies- "negative"...don't know exact numbers, am highly suspicious...

DXed celiac 12-19-07 via genetics/elimination diet- DQ2 allele

Brother with Celiac, aspergers...his tests were all negative (he didn't have genetics done), including endoscopy, but he definitely is at the least gluten intolerant...highly suspect my mother has it as well- she has hyperthyroid, fibromyalgia, hemochromatosis, and now colon cancer, and she has been weak and exhausted and just generally sick. She's going to get tested.

Join eNewsletter

ok there may be some sugar with gluten but no....regularly sugar is just sugar here.......it is very strange what he said and I am actually starting to think maybe I should not trust him.....he also said that after 4 months of gluten-free diet, 2 days were enough for positive biopsy. Maybe I'll start looking for some new doc...

Celiac September 2007

Graves disease June 2008

Join eNewsletter

ok there may be some sugar with gluten but no....regularly sugar is just sugar here.......it is very strange what he said and I am actually starting to think maybe I should not trust him.....he also said that after 4 months of gluten-free diet, 2 days were enough for positive biopsy. Maybe I'll start looking for some new doc...

He may be referring to powdered white sugar which has starch in it. Some brown sugars are also sweetened with gluten ingredients. But i hope he wasn't referring to glucose as gluten. That would be pretty dumb...

Join eNewsletter

Thanks for the info on powdered sugar. I had no idea. I've only been gluten free for a couple months , and last week I cleaned out my pantry. [Threw out the flour, among other things]

Well, I found 3 partial bags of powdered sugar way in the back [Must have kept buying a new bag every time I needed it for a recipe, thinking I didn't have any.] So when I read this thread I went back and checked them. One had corn starch and two had wheat starch!

Problem solved!!! Now even more room in my pantry :D

~~Lisa~~

"The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it."--Moliere

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."--Douglas Adams

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!--Amanda

gluten-free since 1/08

happy%20dance%20penguin.gif

Join eNewsletter

So my doc said I should find gluten-free sugar cause sugar has gluten.....???Is that true????????

LOL! Oh my... you'd probably have to search far and wide to find gluten sugar. AFAIK the only "sugar" containing gluten would be derived from Wheat, barley, rye, etc. And they'd be very hard to find in the supermarket. Sugar in the US primarily comes from sugar beets or sugar cane. However, you do have to read labels carefully and avoid stuff with malt derived from wheat or barley, but they should state where the malt comes from, if it doesn't, don't buy it.

Doctors in general are usually pretty dumb when it comes to food. There's exceptions but most are as clueless as 3 year olds as to what food is and where it comes from and how it is made or processed.

Join eNewsletter

I'll check powdered sugar. I guess it is the sugar we put on top of some sweets?

Celiac September 2007

Graves disease June 2008

Join eNewsletter

LOL! Oh my... you'd probably have to search far and wide to find gluten sugar. AFAIK the only "sugar" containing gluten would be derived from Wheat, barley, rye, etc. And they'd be very hard to find in the supermarket. Sugar in the US primarily comes from sugar beets or sugar cane. However, you do have to read labels carefully and avoid stuff with malt derived from wheat or barley, but they should state where the malt comes from, if it doesn't, don't buy it.

Doctors in general are usually pretty dumb when it comes to food. There's exceptions but most are as clueless as 3 year olds as to what food is and where it comes from and how it is made or processed.

hehe...funny post but unfortunately....so true.....(could somebody explain me what is the meaning of the word LOL????)

Celiac September 2007

Graves disease June 2008

Join eNewsletter

hehe...funny post but unfortunately....so true.....(could somebody explain me what is the meaning of the word LOL????)

"LOL" is short for "Laughing Out Loud."

Peter

Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000. I was retested five years later and the biopsy was normal. You can beat this disease!

Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986

Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator since 2007

Join eNewsletter

"LOL" is short for "Laughing Out Loud."

ok.....thanks................ :rolleyes:

Celiac September 2007

Graves disease June 2008

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter