Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GFJo

Newbie, Longtime Lurker

Hello fellow gluten-free folk!!

It's taken me 10 months but I've finally summoned the courage to join in. I've never posted anywhere online before and I feel ridiculously nervous. I'm not used to putting myself out there.

My gluten-free journey started last summer when I finally took my doctor's advice (seems I have one of the good docs). She'd suggested to me numerous times to try a gluten-free diet, but I was sure that wasn't the problem. Until I was so sick I didn't know what else to do. So I tried the diet, er new way of life, and to my utter amazement I got better, within days. And there's been no looking back.

I've been through the doubt, and anger, and depression, and I think I've finally reached acceptance. I'm still learning the finer details of hidden ingredients, and I seem to slip up more than I should. My symptoms seem to be pretty classic for Celiac (although no official diagnosis): bloating, gas, diarrhea, excessively tired, then angry, and my face will almost instantly break out. I think I may also have a wheat allergy because I get itchy if I touch wheat, and once I got a crumb on my lower eyelid (don't ask me how!) and my eye swelled up for almost 24 hours.

I live in a rural area and I have yet to meet anyone else gluten-free. Although I know they must be out there because the Kinnikinik (spelling?) pizza crusts are always selling out! There are no support groups in my area, and I'm getting a little tired of not having anyone to talk to.

I've been reading these boards for months and it has been a huge help, if not a lifesaver, for me. Thank you all for helping me through a tough time. I hope I can now return the favor to newcomers.

GFJo

Gluten Free since 6/07

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi Johanna, I am glad you have decided to finally let us know you are around! I am sure we can all help each other.

Since you realize that there must be other gluten intolerant people around, why don't you put an add in your local paper, asking if there is an interest in forming a support group? Do you have a health food store nearby? You could ask them if they could put up an ad for you, asking other people with gluten intolerance to call you.

Or you could even put a notice up in the store you buy your pizza crust in. Since others are buying those as well, they might get in touch with you that way.

Also, maybe your doctor (a rare specimen indeed, I am glad you have an excellent doctor) knows other people with gluten intolerance. And while she can't give you other people's names, she can ask those people to call you. Or maybe you could put a notice up in the waiting room, with your doctor's permission.

I am a German citizen, married to a Canadian 29 years, four daughters, one son, seven granddaughters and four grandsons, with one more grandchild on the way in July 2009.

Intolerant to all lectins (including gluten), nightshades (potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant) and salicylates.

Asperger Syndrome, Tourette Syndrome, Addison's disease (adrenal insufficiency), hypothyroidism, fatigue syndrome, asthma

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Jo :D

Welcome to the board! I'm glad you decided to join us.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

Welcome to the board! So happy you decided to join. Do you feel like you "know" many of the members already?

Please chime in----as you can see, there are always so many who are in need of help. Not everyone knows every answer, but everybody chipping in where they can makes a huge difference to that *one* person that needs help....

Add my welcome to the list GFJo. May I call you GFJo? You are the best kind of newbe. One that has been lurking for almost a year, is already up on the plateau of the learning curve and so won't ask a lot of unresearched questions.

BTW, don't believe anything you've heard about me. I really am a nice guy. :D

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

Welcome Jo!!!

Glad you decided to come out of the shadows and say hi! I look forward to hearing your experiences as another member of the gluten-free club! B):D

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007

IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive

Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008

Soy free Jan 09

Welcome. I am glad you decided to join us. There is a wealth of info here and lots of very supportive folks who know what you have been going through. Glad you found us.

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Hi, Jo! A big welcome. Indeed, the more the merrier. If you stick around long enough, you really will begin to feel like you're in a big family, sluggin' it out together.... :)

Emily

diagnosed type one diabetic 1973

diagnosed celiac winter 2005

diagnosed hypothyroid spring 2006

But healthy and happy! 253.gif

11 year-old Son had negative blood panel, but went on gluten-free diet of his own volition to see if his concentration would improve, his temper abate, and his energy level would increase. Miraculous response!

The great are great only because we are on our knees.

--Pierre Joseph Proudhon (1809-1865)

Hi Jo! I did the same thing, lurking in the shadows, but only for a couple months. And this was also my first time posting online, anywhere. (I had to get my daughter's help :P ) During that two months I googled the heck out of this forum :wacko: I can't believe I have only been a member for just a little over 2 months! I also can't believe that in that time I have posted 70 times :o . ( I'm really not that talkative :ph34r: ) I have also discovered emoticons! Can you tell :lol: ?

Anyway, you'll feel like family in no time!!!

Lisa

~~Lisa~~

"The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it."--Moliere

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."--Douglas Adams

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!--Amanda

gluten-free since 1/08

happy%20dance%20penguin.gif

Oh wow!! I was wrong--- it hasn't even been 2 months :rolleyes: !!!

Lisa

~~Lisa~~

"The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it."--Moliere

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be."--Douglas Adams

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!--Amanda

gluten-free since 1/08

happy%20dance%20penguin.gif

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

Ursa Major--I have been thinking a lot about starting a support group. Thank you for your ideas on how to reach out to others.

larry mac--I'll try not to ask any stupid questions! ;)

I'm really glad that I joined in!

GFJo

Gluten Free since 6/07