This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Celiac And Shingle Vacine

wakefield

wakefield Apprentice

I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on the Shingle Vacine. If you have ever known anyone with shingles it is a dreadful, painful disease. One week before I was diagnosed with Celiac I asked my internist if he thought I should get the vacine and he said definitely. So now that I have had Celiac since May 26th and I discover it is an autoimmune disease I am wondering if I should get the vacine. He said he thought it would be ok but so many of the doctors do not know that much about Celiac so I thought I should ask all of you. Thanks in advance

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RiceGuy Collaborator

It is my understanding that shingles can occur if chicken pox isn't treated properly, but otherwise there isn't supposed to be any real risk of it. At least that's what I've always heard.

Here's what I found on Wikipedia about it.

wakefield Apprentice
I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on the Shingle Vacine. If you have ever known anyone with shingles it is a dreadful, painful disease. One week before I was diagnosed with Celiac I asked my internist if he thought I should get the vacine and he said definitely. So now that I have had Celiac since May 26th and I discover it is an autoimmune disease I am wondering if I should get the vacine. He said he thought it would be ok but so many of the doctors do not know that much about Celiac so I thought I should ask all of you. Thanks in advance
wakefield Apprentice
wakefield Apprentice

Sorry, I am still new at this and quess I have finally figured out that I have to press add reply to respond. Hope this works.

Anyway, my Father had shingles several years ago--there is a drug that you can take if you catch it within hours that really helps with the disease but it is still miserable and very painful. I have had friends with it and they have suffered for over a year. If cloths touch the spot with the shingle outbreak it is unbearable!! So that is why I am interested in the vacine even though it is a couple hundred dollars. I was concerned as Celiac is autoimmune and therefore more likely to "catch" things that are going around.

cruelshoes Enthusiast

Having an autoimmune disease does not necessarily predispose one to catching more things than anyone else. It is not the same thing as having a compromised immune system. Our bodies see gluten as a threat, and in a misplaced attempt to oust the invader, attacks the villi.

Having had shingles (got it while I was on cancer treatment and my immune system was nil), if you have a way to vaccinate yourself against it, I say go for it. I never want to have that pain again. But I would not get vaccinated just because I was a celiac. Anybody who has ever had chicken pox can get shingles.

Hope this helps.

finally diagnosed Apprentice
Having an autoimmune disease does not necessarily predispose one to catching more things than anyone else. It is not the same thing as having a compromised immune system. Our bodies see gluten as a threat, and in a misplaced attempt to oust the invader, attacks the villi.

Having had shingles (got it while I was on cancer treatment and my immune system was nil), if you have a way to vaccinate yourself against it, I say go for it. I never want to have that pain again. But I would not get vaccinated just because I was a celiac. Anybody who has ever had chicken pox can get shingles.

Hope this helps.

I agree. I would get the shot if it is available. I was diagnosed with Shingles during the month of April, very stressful time for me MID-TERMS, nursing exams etc. It was very painful and yes my skin did hurt. I did take the anti-viral medicine right away, but that is to ward off post herpetic neuralgia from the shingles. I too will be recieving the shot at the end of this summer. It was recommended to me by my doc who I see for Celiac. Good Luck with your decision and remember that when someone does get Shingles everyone will have it in a different way, some people have it bad and others won't, fortunately for me I didn't.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

wakefield Apprentice

Thanks for the information. I am so sorry you had to have Shingles on top of everything else. This is an amazing forum for giving and receiving wonderful advice. I am so blessed to have found all of you. I have wonderful doctors but truly you all are the experts for sure. I will look into the shot.

purple Community Regular

Do a search on the internet to find out the ingredients in vaccines before getting one. In children' vaccines there could be: mercury, aborted fetal tissue, scrapings from a cows belly, "things" to sterelize women, to ruin the immune system, monkey junk, causes of SIDS, aluminum, etc. I forget what some of it is called. Why would anyone want THAT in them? Vaccinations are a ploy from the goverment to make us sick. If anyone doen't believe me then why is America sick and not so much the other countries. Try some of these sites: http:// www.curezone.com/diseases/vaccination/default.asp http://www.ivanfrasier.com/articles/health/vaccination.html http:www.whale.to/a/day/5.html http.www.whale/to/vaccine/heising.html See if these will help you make a decision, there are 100's of others

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular
It is my understanding that shingles can occur if chicken pox isn't treated properly, but otherwise there isn't supposed to be any real risk of it. At least that's what I've always heard.

Here's what I found on Wikipedia about it.

Chicken pox is a virus and does not need to be "treated." The virus, after it is overcome by the immune system, goes dormant, and lodges in the spinal nerves. It can be reactivated by stress, and is very common in people undergoing chemo.

According to Mercola (www.mercola.com), our immune systems are boosted when exposed to mild cases of chicken pox, but, because of the chicken pox vaccine, we are not exposed, and our immune systems not boosted. Then, we ARE exposed, our immune systems are not on top of things enough to keep our own chicken pox virus dormant, and it comes back to life, not as chicken pox, but as shingles. Same virus, different effect, and much more serious.

If you are celiac AND on a gluten-free diet, then I don't believe you are predisposed to get shingles. However, if you are not gluten-free, your immune system is already going kaflooie trying to deal with gluten, and anything can happen. Shingles, MS, lupus, RA, cancer...

Purple, what you say sounds awfully alarmist--but the more I read, the more I find myself thinking how very, very corrupted our medical system and our government are. So I'm about to look up your links. Wish me luck!

Darn it, I can't get your links to work! :angry: Do you have any others?

purple Community Regular
Fiddle-Faddle said:

Sorry, try some of these: http://www.curezone.com/diseases/vaccination/default.asp

http://naturodoc.com/library/public_health...ine_who_how.htm

topics: unhealthy ingredients in vaccines

dangerous vaccine ingredients

vaccine website...scroll to vicitim damage/testimonies on bottom left

vaccine poison

just pick a word and put vaccines with it

purple Community Regular

Here is what my book Prescription for Nutritional Healing by Phyllis Balch says about shingles: (everyone should buy a copy, go the local book store and read about it on pgs. 693-696!!!)

L-Lysine- important for healing and for fighting the virus that causes shingles

Vitamin C with bioflavonoids-aids in fighting the virus and boosting the immune system

Beta-1.3-D/glucan- useful for treating bacterial, viral, and fungal infections

Vitamin B complex-needed for nerve health and to counteract deficiencies. Injections may be necessary

plus extra vitamin B 12 (confirms Rice Guy's recomendations)-Use a lozenge or sublingual form

zinc-enhances immunity and protects against infection.

calcium plus magnesium-for nerve function and healing and to combat stress

garlic(my recomendation for everything)-excellent for building the immune system (its anti-everything and natural)

be sure anything you take is gluten-free...

and lots more to take naturally. Medicines are not natural and can do damage to the body like gluten does. Try to find a good alternative medicine type doctor to help you heal naturally the way the body is designed to heal. Your natural doc can tell you what to take and how much considering Celiacs.

purple Community Regular

Here is more, sorry if they are repeats or if a mistype them(I can only type with about 3 fingers at a time...slow):

curezone.com/forums/fm.asp?i=62596

www.909shot.com/Diseases/autismp.html

www.whale.to/a/chickenpox.html

immune system damage from vaccines poor babies! more shot ingredients: MSG, alcohol,bovine,human fetal tissue(HOW'D THEY GET THAT?), monkey kidney cells why would anyone want those "healthy" things in our bodies, told they will help us???

purple Community Regular

Here's the one I was trying to find, it's an easy to read chart:

www.informedchoice.info/cocktail.html

If we only knew, why would we want a "cocktail" like these to be in us? I will not let my future grandkids get shots. I have a hunch that they cause reactions in our bodies that trigger celiac among other things and believe they CAUSE diseases. We are brainwashed. Hitlers famous quote: tell the people a lie long enough and soon they will believe it. He tried it and it worked. He allowed mass, horrific, medical and scientifical research to be done on live and dead people.

purple Community Regular

I found this one about chickenpox:

www.celiac.com/index.php?showtopic=1646

there are several posts, I read the last 2, so at least read those.

cruelshoes Enthusiast
Vaccinations are a ploy from the goverment to make us sick.

I find the idea that our government (that is seemingly incapable of coordinating much of anything) has embaked on a massive innoculation campaign to make its own people ill just a liiiiiiiitle hard to believe.

purple Community Regular
I find the idea that our government (that is seemingly incapable of coordinating much of anything) has embaked on a massive innoculation campaign to make its own people ill just a liiiiiiiitle hard to believe.

Research it... you'd be surprised what you will find. I was shocked. It all started with me asking what is aspartame and why is it in everything, why is it so bad and how come "they" don't stop its use. Then researching that led to health and why "they" allow all those bad things in our foods, and know it and don't stop doing it. Then, why is America so sick, we have such good medical facilities and docs? It doesn't add up. Compare with other countries. Why can you go to Mexico and get cured of cancer but in the U.S.A there is no cure. It's all about the money and power. Why can you go to other countries where the md's give you natural treatments and ours give prescriptions? Look up the pharmeceutical companies like Monsanto, they make chemicals, pesticides and prescription drugs...hmmm... why is that? Why is there growth hormones in our milk from monsanto and if its so bad why don't they stop it. Why can't people tolerate milk? What else are "they" doing to us that we don't know about. What is in our wheat and corn...hmm... Why are we so sick? How come so many docs give out prescription drugs but our country is more sick then ever? Why is yummy fast food so bad for us...what is in it that makes it taste so good? Why are so many people trying to find a good doctor b/c they disagree with one they have? Why are there so many people going to alternative medicine? Are they getting better? Why are so many going to health food stores now? Why are so many people eating organic foods now? Do they notice a difference in how they feel? Why are so many children getting cancer and autism when it used to never be heard of? Do vaccines do more harm than good? I ask you to think for yourself and not believe what the higher up guys tell us is the truth. Research it and find out for yourself. We with food allergies are actually blessed not to be eating those chemicals, food additives, growth hormones and pesticides like we once did. America needs to wake up. I did all b/c of aspartame.

cruelshoes Enthusiast
I ask you to think for yourself and not believe what the higher up guys tell us is the truth. Research it and find out for yourself.

I already do think for myself and I already have researched it. I also don't believe much of anything that higher ups say, whether or not they work for the government.

Good luck with whatever you do with your kids. I have confidence in the decisions I have made for mine.

RiceGuy Collaborator

Well, I don't much trust the medical industry either, but one thing I do know about vaccines is that they are incubated in chicken eggs. So if you have an allergy to eggs, that's something to consider. I've also heard that they use toxic stuff like mercury and formaldehyde to weaken the virus, in an attempt to simulate a slight exposure, which the immune system is supposed to be able to fight off more easily, thus gaining immunity. That's the way it's supposed to work, but of course it doesn't always work that way.

I recently heard an interview with an expert on the subject, discussing the polio vaccines and various other things. I was amazed by the corruption involved. A number of vaccines deemed "safe" and "effective" where nothing of the sort. Just harmful, and they knew it. I recorded some of the interview, so if anyone wants a copy, just PM me.

Add to that, the fact that the government to this day has a law for itself, allowing populations to be exposed to biological agents without their knowledge or consent. There are a bunch of examples of this, but who knows just how many are still to be uncovered.

Generic Apprentice

I'm hesitant to say go for the vacination. Shingles is just the Chicken Pox coming back to haunt you. Most people never get shingles others get them multiple times. My daughter got the at the age of 10 years old. She had chicken pox at 5 years old. She was treated by a Dr. both times with each outbreak. So it wasn't that she wasn't treated properly. Some people just get them.

There is also the possibility that multiple outbreaks of shingles aren't shingles at all but (drum roll, please) misdiagnosed DH (dermatitis herpetiformis)--in other words, celiac.

slmprofesseur Apprentice

I have had undiagnosed (instant results on a Gluten-free diet) celiac for years. I am also a teacher. I have had everything thanks to 7 years teaching. I have NOT had chicken pox (nor the vaccine) and have had numerous exposures through school, my own dear children, and my college roommate!

While undiagnosed though, I would pick up every cold which would eventually turn into the flu or pneumonia in the winter/spring. I also felt exhausted. I would come home and take a 2 hr nap and still feel tired. I used to fall asleep grading papers at night...

I'm not considering the vaccine. My immune system is much better on a gluten free diet. I got one cold this school year. B) Previously, I would be in the PCPs office 2-3 times a month during the cold season or with various gastrointestinal problems.

I think once your body heals you'll be healthy as long as you stick to the diet! I still went to work in the "germ" zone and I survived! lol

• 10 years later...
Pauline12 Rookie
On 6/26/2008 at 1:32 PM, Fiddle-Faddle said:

There is also the possibility that multiple outbreaks of shingles aren't shingles at all but (drum roll, please) misdiagnosed DH (dermatitis herpetiformis)--in other words, celiac.

No drum roll.   I have DH  (biopsy diagnosis of Celiac April 18).  I had shingles last July (6 th time in my 73 years)  I am presently being treated for shingles yet again!!   There is a huge difference in the symptoms & subsequent side effects of DH & shingles.   During the active stage of shingles when the vesicles appear there is tremendous burning in the area affected, along the involved nerves  & the underlying muscle/joint.  Then flu-like symptoms, headache, chills, aches & pains.  Itching & post herpetic neuralgia can last months/years.  I mediate & stay active to allay the severity of symptoms   DH causes generalised itching which is horrible.... I find worse than shingles but the pain & nerve burning is really dreadful with shingles.   They are very different in their vesicle locations also as DH is commonly bilateral on the body & blisters last much longer.   Shingle vesicles run along the nerves of the body & are generally not bilateral.  I have not bothered to include the actual pathology of each but I'm sure you can find it online.

Coltsneck24 Rookie
On 6/25/2008 at 12:02 PM, purple said:

Research it... you'd be surprised what you will find. I was shocked. It all started with me asking what is aspartame and why is it in everything, why is it so bad and how come "they" don't stop its use. Then researching that led to health and why "they" allow all those bad things in our foods, and know it and don't stop doing it. Then, why is America so sick, we have such good medical facilities and docs? It doesn't add up. Compare with other countries. Why can you go to Mexico and get cured of cancer but in the U.S.A there is no cure. It's all about the money and power. Why can you go to other countries where the md's give you natural treatments and ours give prescriptions? Look up the pharmeceutical companies like Monsanto, they make chemicals, pesticides and prescription drugs...hmmm... why is that? Why is there growth hormones in our milk from monsanto and if its so bad why don't they stop it. Why can't people tolerate milk? What else are "they" doing to us that we don't know about. What is in our wheat and corn...hmm... Why are we so sick? How come so many docs give out prescription drugs but our country is more sick then ever? Why is yummy fast food so bad for us...what is in it that makes it taste so good? Why are so many people trying to find a good doctor b/c they disagree with one they have? Why are there so many people going to alternative medicine? Are they getting better? Why are so many going to health food stores now? Why are so many people eating organic foods now? Do they notice a difference in how they feel? Why are so many children getting cancer and autism when it used to never be heard of? Do vaccines do more harm than good? I ask you to think for yourself and not believe what the higher up guys tell us is the truth. Research it and find out for yourself. We with food allergies are actually blessed not to be eating those chemicals, food additives, growth hormones and pesticides like we once did. America needs to wake up. I did all b/c of aspartame.

OMG, I can’t believe you fall for this crap. If Mexico had a cure for cancer, they would be the richest country in the world. All of your other ‘facts’ are not supported by science.  Please don’t confuse your beliefs with facts.