This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Jack Daniels Whiskey

high maintenance

high maintenance Newbie

I'm confussed...I read that whiskey is a no no because its made from grain, but when I went to Jack Daniel's website, they list their whiskey as gluten free. On some celiac sites they say most alcohol is okay, except for beer, unless gluten is added back to the product. Is whiskey okay or not? :blink:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ianm Apprentice

I have found conflicting information on beer and whiskey and would like to know more. After drinking a beer I don't notice any symptoms like I would if I ate a piece of bread. I only drink the dark beers like stouts and brown ales. I only have about 1 or 2 beers a month so that might be why I don't notice anything. Any info would be helpful.

Ianm

astyanax Rookie

the way i understand, gluten does not survive the distillation process. whiskey is actually triple distilled.

lovegrov Collaborator

Jack is gluten-free because of distilling. Beer is not.

richard

kvogt Rookie

Whiskey is not necessarily "tripple distilled". I found only one obscure bourbon in Kentucky that is. Most are single distilled and a few are double distilled. In any event, the distillation is supposed to negate the gluten content unless the distiller mixes part of the beer back into the whiskey when barrelling or cutting to bottling streangth. Bourbon is only supposed to be cut with branch water. I personally drink Makers Mark. I've felt bad after drinking premix mint juleps, but the regular products don't give me any reaction.

astyanax Rookie

OOPS i should have said irish whiskies.

so if you're looking for triple distilled, check out jameson or BUSHMILLS (i just checked a bottle of bushmills and it clearly says distilled three times!)

tdrew Rookie

Any info on Scotch? I'm a big fan, and it doesn't seem to bother me, but I'm curious what the "official" word is.

Thanks!

Tom

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

The official word on ALL liquor is that it's gluten-free unless they add gluten after distilling. And I can't remember finding a liquor that had gluten added yet.

This is not, of course, a guarantee there isn't a liquor with gluten, but I think of scotch as safe.

richard

megzmc3611 Rookie

So would all vodka's be ok? I have stayed clear of Stoli and Absolut as they are distilled from wheat grain. I have only had potato vodka...which is very hard to find when you are out at bars! I miss my flavored vodkas!

jdlehman Newbie

Does anyone know if Jagermeister is ok? I would like to avoid the trial and error part if someone else has already erred. Let me know otherwise I will post the results next week.

Josh

• 3 years later...
theemurman1 Rookie

So my parents owened a bar for 25 years and I worked there forever and my brother has also had celiac disease for ten years.

1. If you go to any bar(not a jammed club) tell the bartender your deal. Bartenders are usually or should be cool. I might actually be over concerened like a cook is somtimes. Then ask if they have any distilled , triple distilled whiskey's its a normal question. In the old day's the more distilled the weaker the booze(not now a days :rolleyes: )

2. In regards to the POURER or Pop gun. The problem is the bartender is busy and if they accidently hit the wrong button they won't dump your drink(unless you sit at the bar and catch them in the act). So make sure you tell them that to.

3. If you want to be sure your safe order your distilled shot of choice in a snifter or rocks glass with a side of water. FYI don't get a shot because amount wise its smaller then a snifter or rocks glass. ;)

Another safe shot, due to mine and my brothers trial and air is Jager. But get it straight from the Jager machine or bottle from the fridge. There's alot of bad dish cleaning practices in bars and there may be residue from another previously chilled order from sombody else.

Also unless it's just me I had problems with Jose not sure why but then again I had it with OJ FROM THE GUN!

So good luck and HAPPY ST.PAT'S EVERYONE :)

• 4 years later...
Jack-y Newbie

I am confused as you all are and the more I read the more I confuse myself.

http://www.gluten-free-for-life.com/gluten-free-alcohol.html

This is a url taken from the jackdanielstennesse website, have a look 

http://www.jackdaniels.com/history/sour-mash

Hope that was helpful

psawyer Proficient

This is an old topic. Here is a link the the FAQs on Jack's web site, where it clearly states that the distillation process renders the product gluten-free.

Jack's FAQs

• 1 year later...
Rakdan Explorer

This is an old topic. Here is a link the the FAQs on Jack's web site, where it clearly states that the distillation process renders the product gluten-free.

Jack's FAQs

Wrong. They say that the gluten was removed from distillation. A PhD chemist has posted on the web how this is not possible. It is also common sense. You cannot remove 100% of anything ever. That is why anything made with gluten contains gluten, no matter what. Some people who are less sensitive may not have a problem as most of the gluten can be removed. They may "clearly state" it, but it is not true. It may even be classified as "gluten free" as that term allows for a certain number of parts per million of gluten. But, some people have been confirmed to have had severe reactions to the gluten in distilled spirits.

Scott Adams Grand Master

Rakdan  i'm afraid you are mistaken because distillation does in fact remove the gluten. Be sure to read this article https://www.celiac.com/articles/184/1/American-Dietetic-Association-Revises-Its-Gluten-Free-Guidelines---Distilled-Vinegar-is-Safe-for-a-Gluten-Free-Diet/Page1.html

• 3 years later...
musetotheangels Newbie

Hey guys, I can confirm that I definitely had a reaction to JD on Saturday night.  For me, its a no go.  Glad to hear that some of you are still able to tolerate it, have one for me pls I'm gonna miss it :(

• 7 months later...
Tone Newbie
On 12/14/2013 at 9:28 AM, psawyer said:

Jack's FAQs

Good idea.  Lately they just removed that FAQ, likely because they haven't certified it as gluten free, but I'd still assume all distilled liquors should be gluten free.