This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

1 Week Of Diarrhea

odcdinah

odcdinah Contributor

I was dx with celiac 2.5 years ago and have been gluten-free since. My gastro symptoms have subsided nicely (with very occasional bouts of diarrhea) and weight has stabilized.

However, I have been dealing with sudden onset of diarrhea for about 7 days now. My husband (non celiac) had a very mild form of the same thing at the exact same time, but he's fine now and my problems continue. I'm hoping it's just an intestinal bug or something, but do we take longer to recover from such things?

Any experiences/opinions welcome!

Thanks, Dinah

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

Dinah,

I used to be that way. Probably for the first 5 years or so after I got diagnosed. I am more "normal" when it comes to bugs now.

Make sure you keep getting your vitamins in you, do not take immodium with stomach flu and keep hydrating (I like pedia lyte or gatorade).

I know it sounds bad, but with stomach bugs, you want to poop it out. Taking immodium and pepto when you have viral or baterial issues is not good for you.

:)

CB

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I am and was the opposite. I rarely picked up viruses, if my tummy got upset, it was from something I ate. After 8 yrs, I still rarely ever get a flu bug. A sore throat for me is usually allergy related.

Yet when I do get glutened accidentally, I am sometimes sick for months.

spunky Contributor

Something similar seems to have happened to me.

I was fine two Sundays ago, ate supper, then 30 minutes later was doubled over for the rest of the night, with what I call volcanic explosions of the rear end... very bad D.!!!!

Since then, there's been abdominal turbulence and just the D tendency, although not as violent as that first night, pain, gas and rumbling, etc., although it seems to be gradually leveling off, but still there to some extent at this point, 11 days later.

I've been very confused trying to figure this out... haven't been out to eat, and have been eating very safe foods only... I don't know anyone else sick, though... but also, for me it's been 2 1/2 years gluten free and whatever this is suddenly hit me outta nowhere.

Seems to be leveling off, but it's confusing. Maybe it's a bug... and maybe it takes longer for the inflammation of a bug to get back to normal than with other folks who haven't been through this whole gluten ordeal.

gflooser Contributor

I will answer YES! When I get a stomach bug now, it hurts much worse. I don't know why, but it does!!!

sillyyak Enthusiast

Yes it is MUCH worse when I have a bug.

jennavive00 Explorer

I have been having the same problem for about the past 6 days! I thought it was something I added to my diet, but I was totally unable to pinpoint it. It doesn't feel like a glutening because I have felt fine otherwise, no fatigue or bloating. Hopefully it is a bug and will go away soon!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Shelly D. Newbie

My husband (non-celiac) had similar symptoms (really bad D, then pain and bloating with the D getting less bad but not stopping) a few months ago. He thought he'd been poisoned at a restaurant but it lasted for way too long. Finally one of the guys he worked with had him try a Prilosec and it seemed to help. Now he takes one every day to keep the symptoms away.

cymrudenver Apprentice

So glad to see this thread today, I've had explosive D with one "accident" for 3 days now, totally out of character for my system, I've not been glutened as far as I can tell, but am still pretty new to all this. My hubby (non-celiac) had D for 1 day, so maybe this is just a bug thing.

Archived