This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD)

AliB

AliB Enthusiast

You will get all sorts of weird things happen for the first 2 - 3 weeks. A lot of that may be due to detox and die-off. Just monitor it but try and hang in there and it will settle down. Honest.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
DMarie Apprentice
I finally talked to a customer service rep at the place that makes Muir Glen canned organic tomatoes and sauces. She said they DO NOT ADD ANY SUGAR, STARCH OR ANY INGREDIENT NOT LISTED ON THE LABEL. They use steam to peel the tomatoes and do not use any ingredient to adjust PH or sweetness. She said if citric acid is used, it is on the label. She said she does not know all about lableing laws and cannot speak for other companies or other processors.

Hmmm...I always liked Muir Glen. This would apply to all their labels, would it not? Such as tomatoe sauce? (I haven't looked at the label on a can of tomatoe sauce - but will next time I am out).

Although, just using the canned tomatoes would be very helpful (and a convenience).

ArtGirl Enthusiast
Hmmm...I always liked Muir Glen. This would apply to all their labels, would it not? Such as tomatoe sauce? (I haven't looked at the label on a can of tomatoe sauce - but will next time I am out).

Although, just using the canned tomatoes would be very helpful (and a convenience).

I agree. I have used Pomi tomatoes by Parmalat - imported from Italy - it's in a box. I have found it at Whole Foods and recently at my local grocery store (Price Chopper). Only ingredient is "tomatoes". I haven't had any since going on SCD but will be trying it out later on.

mftnchn Explorer
You will get all sorts of weird things happen for the first 2 - 3 weeks. A lot of that may be due to detox and die-off. Just monitor it but try and hang in there and it will settle down. Honest.

I am in total agreement here. You just have to hang in there at first. I also did quite a lot of honey at first when I had cravings, just a tad here and there. I didn't limit myself too much the first few days and then was able to easily cut back when I had more foods to eat.

With the allergies you could be experiencing "retracing" and it could be that the bad bacteria in the gut are the cause of a lot of this. Keep persisting and I expect it will get better.

For traveling, I bought a nice thermos bag from REI that is supposed to be for "2" people for lunch. I pack it with blue ice bags around the edges and if I have room in the freezer, freeze the whole bag overnight before I leave. Then I put in frozen containers of soup or whatever to carry with me when I travel.

If you are only worried about the airplane, that is harder. I take sliced, cooked meat. You can take it on the plane but not into another country. You should be able to take your cooked fruit if there is no liquid and it isn't "applesauce". Cheese if you are on that. I also take leftovers that I can eat cold (last time it was stir fried mushrooms and beef).

Sherry

mftnchn Explorer

Carrots absorb meat flavor very well. Cook your hamburger and carrots together, with some ginger and other spices. Our latest wonderful combo is beef and carrots cooked together with some salt, ginger, and anise, and onion when you get that far along.

Zucchini is also wonderful cooked with meat. I stir fry mine in a little olive oil.

Zucchini stir fried with egg is good.

mftnchn Explorer

I wouldn't go off the magnesium or find another form you can handle. You really need to have regular BMs in order to detox properly.

fig girl Rookie

I agree with you too Ali about the weird symptoms. I wish I'd written more of them down in the very beginning (i'm not real far along- 11/19 will only be 2 mths. for me) but i do remember feeling kind of weak sometimes and my color seemed a little pale too. I was more sleepy in the very beginning - i still get sleepy especially after lunch at work but not as much as i did in the beginning.

I wish I'd have bm's every day - i'm going about every other day since i stopped the nuts. I'm trying to drink more water (maybe it'll help) - i normally do because that's all i drink but I get busy at work and forget to drink it.

Hang in there guys....it does get a little better each day. I try to remind myself that i will be adding more foods soon and that seems to help when i get a little tired of what i'm currently eating.

I tried a little acorn squash tonight so i'll see how that goes. I've got to figure out what i'll try this Sunday - it's kind of exciting to have a new food to look forward to. Dawn - i want to try the ketchup soon too but i probably need to think of some foods that will be good to cook and eat for the holidays. I'm hoping squash will be ok so that i can maybe make something with it to bring to Thanksgiving dinner - we have it at my Aunt and Uncle's home and everyone brings something. Of course i'll have to bring the rest of my meal - turkey and veggies.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

fig girl Rookie

Does anyone know when using raw goat milk what temperature to heat it before adding the starter for yogurt? I remember reading it somewhere but can't seem to find it. What info. i did find sounds like i'll need to heat it to 180 - 185 like normal. A friend of mine at work found info. on someone locally who sells raw goat milk and they have free range chickens and sell eggs so i might get some eggs and milk to try. I've eaten fresh eggs a few times years ago so i don't know if it'll make a difference. Maybe it won't hurt to try. Thanks if anyone knows or remembers where the raw goat milk might be - i'll continue to search.

ShayFL Enthusiast

The starter shouldnt be added at that high a temp. 90 - 110 is good. I am actually trying the goat milk yogurt myself right now. Had an issue with the Keifer I was drinking (edema) but it was pasteurized. So I made a batch of "RAW" goat milk yogurt with acidophilus starter and have been eating it for 5 days now with no problems. I think the pasteurization is what gets me. I need all of those enzymes!!

AliB Enthusiast

If you find that you have reached a stage where you can tolerate it, Raman Prasad reckons that we need to have at least 3 salads a week to help things move and detox. Apart from the fact that veg is full of important phytonutrients and good stuff it is very cleansing.

This morning I have discovered a new Farm Shop selling organic meat and chickens that are not much more expensive than the supermarket. Hurrah, bacon with no chemicals - and very tasty it was too with none of that disgusting white goo coming out of it when it was cooked. It was cured with Brown sugar but she has assured me it was only very little. I will have to try and persuade her to use honey instead! :rolleyes:

ArtGirl Enthusiast

This week started out not so good, but is ending on a high note. I was rather edgy most of the week with off and on loose stools, but am feeling very well today.

I was going to wait a week or so before having any more coconut yogurt, but decided to give my second batch a try (the one made from the previous batch which has much less casein in it). I had no immediate reaction (no phlem in throat) which gave me encouragement. And no later reaction (itchy skin). So the casein is either a very low level or it was broken down further with the second fermentation. Whatever it is, I can eat the rest of this batch and am loving it.

The next batch will be started from the probiotic capsule and contain no casein. I'm also thinking of making some almond milk and fermenting that, just to see if I can do it :)

Having some yogurt in my diet is helping not only in healing but also in variety. It's hard to limit it to about 1/2 cup a day (my own imposed limit since there is still some casein in this stuff right now).

My biggest problem is evening snacking. I want CRUNCH! I'm thinking of making that coconut flour "bread" again, that I sliced and then baked on low for 5 hours to make crackers. I didn't like the flavor too much, but LOVED the CRUNCH! Lots of fiber in that with the coconut flour - may make it half and half with almond flour. Recipe here: Open Original Shared Link

Am fondling looking forward to having salads again. I really do like them and am getting quite tired of everything cooked to death. I prefer my veggies only partially cooked with a little crunch to them.

DMarie Apprentice

Sigh. I made up a batch of yogurt yesterday. As I wasn't going to be home last night, I texted my daughter to turn off the crockpot and put in the fridge for me. However I didn't say fridge - I said freezer!!! So, I am looking for the yogurt this morning to check it out - and I find it in the freezer. She showed me my text - indeed I did say FREEZER!! :o I put it in the refrigerator - but I am sure it is ruined. It will probably be a separated mess when I check it later. So - into the crockpot this morning a fresh batch. Only this one is made with all whole milk (the past 2 times I made it with 1/2 of whole milk, 1/2 of half and half). I am curious to see if this one is less thick than when using half and half (I don't have to drip the yogurt, it sets up very nicely and is on the thick side, which I like) ;)

Sherry - thanks for the suggestion to add cooked carrots to beef patties with the alternative seasonings. I will have to try that for extra taste.

Also, I did add back in 500 mg of my magnesium. Had a small bm this morning. I can see what looks like carrots though. :( They are cooked well in my soup. I don't imagine there is anything to be done regarding that right now - I am assuming that time will take care of that?

Meanwhile, I did try a small spoonful of cashew butter this morning. So far so good. I would like to be able to make these cashew butter-banana muffins next week (made with just the butter/bananas and an egg). Then I will just stick with the chicken-carrot soup with zuchinni, plain meats, banana's, apples and pears (cooked), and the occasional egg (and of course my yogurt). I'll have to peruse the lists to see what I will try to add the next time around (another veggie or fruit).

The mucous issue has settled down a little bit. I am thinking that the extreme amount I had on Monday and Tuesday were due to some sort of die off (as in it got a lot worse - just like it was before I dropped corn/dairy/eggs) - before it got a little better).

AliB Enthusiast

I have a recipe from one of my gluten-free books for Almond Crackers which is great. Valda, maybe you could make them but with coconut flour instead.

Tell you what, I will start a new thread especially for SCD recipes as we have had quite a few on here - it would be good to get them sorted into one place.

mftnchn Explorer

Good idea Ali. I have been wondering about whether we should split to more than one thread because as it gets longer it is daunting for new folk to read.

Some ideas on appropriate threads we could start? I wondered about a thread topic on advice for making

scd yogurt.

mftnchn Explorer
My biggest problem is evening snacking. I want CRUNCH!

Yes, I am with you. I miss that too. I realize though as I moniter my response to the diet that my healing process is slow and that I am better off staying on the easy to digest foods for awhile longer.

I have had some nuts now a bit more. I seem to handle almonds much better than cashews which goes along with what BTVC says.

Sherry

mftnchn Explorer
Sherry - thanks for the suggestion to add cooked carrots to beef patties with the alternative seasonings. I will have to try that for extra taste.

What I would do is crumble the ground beef, brown with the seasonings until just changes color and drain if needed. Then add the carrots, chopped up pretty fine. Stir fry a couple of minutes. Then add a little water and cover, adding more if needed until the carrots are done enough. Check the seasoning.

Also, I did add back in 500 mg of my magnesium. Had a small bm this morning. I can see what looks like carrots though. :( They are cooked well in my soup. I don't imagine there is anything to be done regarding that right now - I am assuming that time will take care of that?

I have had the same thing. I think it is just that our digestion isn't that good yet. I am noticing that it is getting better though. During my gluten induced relapse, I was really noticing it, but it is better now though not cleared up.

Meanwhile, I did try a small spoonful of cashew butter this morning. So far so good. I would like to be able to make these cashew butter-banana muffins next week (made with just the butter/bananas and an egg). Then I will just stick with the chicken-carrot soup with zuchinni, plain meats, banana's, apples and pears (cooked), and the occasional egg (and of course my yogurt). I'll have to peruse the lists to see what I will try to add the next time around (another veggie or fruit).

If you have problems it might be that cashews are much harder to digest than other nuts.

The mucous issue has settled down a little bit. I am thinking that the extreme amount I had on Monday and Tuesday were due to some sort of die off (as in it got a lot worse - just like it was before I dropped corn/dairy/eggs) - before it got a little better).

Maybe wait a few more days to add foods and see if it settles down more?

Sherry

AliB Enthusiast

Oh yes - I think we are going to have to ask for a dedicated SCD section! Perhaps we could have an 'Other Intolerances thread and have sub-sections for SCD, Lyme, Thyroid, Gut Dysbiosis, and Anything Else!

fig girl Rookie
The starter shouldnt be added at that high a temp. 90 - 110 is good. I am actually trying the goat milk yogurt myself right now. Had an issue with the Keifer I was drinking (edema) but it was pasteurized. So I made a batch of "RAW" goat milk yogurt with acidophilus starter and have been eating it for 5 days now with no problems. I think the pasteurization is what gets me. I need all of those enzymes!!

Thanks Shay! I'm glad you're doing well on the raw goat yogurt. Sorry, i should have mentioned what temp. to heat it before cooling it down to 110 or less and then adding the starter. :P I just wasn't sure if the process was the same with store bought goat milk and "raw" goat milk. Sounds like you made it the same way? I've been making the store bought goat milk yogurt since starting scd and it's agreeing with me....thank goodness. I'm glad you mentioned the enzymes in the raw goat milk because i wondered if heating it to 180 would kill the enzymes. I hope i'll do well on the raw because i probably need the enzymes too. The raw is less expensive than the store bought i get at Kroger or WalMart.

I picked up the raw goat milk today and eggs but won't be making the yogurt until next Friday since i have another week's worth of yogurt but at the farm where i got it they said it'll last in the fridge for 7 - 14 days and i've read that on line too. They said you can also freeze it but i don't know if i have room in my freezer. Glad to know you're also trying the "raw" goat yogurt and glad it's working for you.

ShayFL Enthusiast

All enzymes die at 130 degrees. So I dont heat my raw goat milk past 110.

The catch is that you better "know" your goat milk source. Should come from healthy, grass-fed, organic and clean goats. We have a great dairy close by that has the best goat milk. So clean and pure. They exceed Federal guidelines for sanitation. It is all they do. In FL it has to say "for pet consumption only", but nobody is feeding it to their pets. ;) This dairy has been selling "raw" goat milk for over 20 years in Tampa and I have never heard one case of anyone getting sick from it. So I feel really good about it.

AliB Enthusiast

I have started the SCD recipe thread - I just hope it doesn't get put in with all the other recipes in that section!

AliB Enthusiast

Guess what, it did. I have asked if it can be moved back to the Other food intolerances section so that it can sit alongside the main SCD thread. We'll just have to wait and see if that happens.

mftnchn Explorer

Ali, I hope it does. I can understand wanting it in the recipe section, but somehow it would be great if the SCD related threads could be together.

pele Rookie
Oh yes - I think we are going to have to ask for a dedicated SCD section!

Sounds good to me!

Yenni Enthusiast

Does Elaine mention what type of Vanilla Exctrac to use specifically? I can't seem to find anything about it. I want to make the toffe candy in her book..

GermanMia Newbie

Hi Yenni,

as storebought vanilla extract in Germany is either very artificial or very expensive, I made my own one: 300 ml pure vodka and three vanilla beans. I split the beans and put them into the vodka and keep it in a small bottle. After three weeks you have a strong vanilla extract. You can let the beans sit in the vodka for about half a year and even pour in some more vodka when you used the first quarter of the bottle.

Ali,

that was a great idea! I hope they let the SCD recipe thread sit in this section.

Dawn,

you could have used the frozen yoghurt for home made SCD icecream. But I suppose you already discarded it, so it's too late... The probiotics are dead after freezing, but as it's completely fermented and doesn't contain any more lactose you can eat it anyway.

Archived