This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Chest Pain Or Costochondritis?

nyctexangal

nyctexangal Rookie

Hello amazing community! :D

I've had Costochondritis/pressure in my chest/burning in chest for 3 1/2 years. It hurts to breathe, lift anything, laugh, cough etc. Boooo. After 75 doctors, I finally began to keep a detailed journal and realized that my pain peaked after eating oils, fried foods, breads, diet sodas, meats, anything with fiber,etc..., and a wise doctor was able to lead me to my Celiac diagnoses...I'm SO thankful for this!! Finally a reason for all this pain, yay!!!

So I'm 7 weeks gluten free...and I'm still in a place where just about everything I eat, except bananas, increases my chest pain at this point...gag. But I'm hopeful this will change as time goes on. Has anyone else had chest pain as a Celiac symptom? :blink: Or do you get chest pain when you eat gluten?

Thanks so much in advance!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Wolicki Enthusiast

Yes. I had either costocondritis or pleurisy on and off for almost 10 years. It was debilitating. It went away within 2 days of going gluten free and <knock on wood> hasn't come back with glutening by accident.

If you're sure you're not getting gluten either thru cc or personal products, maybe it's a secondary intolerance giving you symptoms?

nyctexangal Rookie

Thanks so much for letting me know you have suffered from this too!! 10 years- Eek! That rocks that it went away. Gives me hope. :D

My pain has gotten a little better- about 25%, but it's still a part of my every breathe. Driving me bonkers. I definitely think I have quite a few other intolerance's that seem to increase the chest pain: oils, dairy, soy etc... is it normal to get "Celiac symptoms" from other intolerance's?

I'm praying that this chest pain ceases when my stomach starts to really heal. I just started on Kefir...took me a while to find the right pro biotic, hopefully this will help. As per the CC,I'm looking at everything I touch and eat...calling all the manufacturer's etc...but I'll keep digging...I could for sure be missing something...this newby still has a lot to learn.

...thanks so much! =)

Wolicki Enthusiast

Intolerance symptoms vary from person to person, but many here get gluten like symptoms. My main complaint with secondary intolerances were gas, bloating and heartburn. The only thing I could take prior to going gluten free to ease the chest pain was prednisone :blink: That's bad stuff. It would get so bad I couldn't stand it, so I would have to take the steroids, and the pain went away right away.

I think the most common intolerances for Celiacs are corn, soy, dairy, nightshade vegetables (tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant and peppers), nuts, eggs and some grains. You might try a very, very simple elimination diet to see if it helps.

Things to check: shampoo, conditioner, face wash, toothpaste, hand lotion, hair spray. prescription meds, OTC meds, and then of course the toaster, shared condiments, etc. If you have gluten eaters in your house, that could be the culprit.

Janie

Korwyn Explorer

20 years I suffered from intermittent chest pain, starting when I was 19. I had all the classic symptoms of a heart attack, repeatedly. About 8 months before my diagnosis I had a complete stress test, radioactive dye injection with the gamma photographs, etc. All good. When I was 20 they put me on a Holter monitor for a weekend, the EKG came out perfectly normal. I had pain in my chest radiating up into my jaw and neck and down into my arm. Within a few weeks of going gluten-free it was gone completely and has never come back except for once when I got badly glutened.

nyctexangal Rookie

Janie,

Thanks for the tips! Yes, I live with a gluten hubby. lol. So glad you are pain free, gives me hope! Nice to know that others know what this pain is like. And they healed!

Don't Panic,

Thanks for sharing with me that your pain left you as well, hoping I follow the same trail! Yes, the fake heart attacks prior to diagnoses have sent me to the cardiologist and ER on a regular basis...boooo.

I'll go back to the drawing board and check all my products again.., maybe I am really missing something...

Thanks everyone!!! :D

Lauren

seashele2 Newbie

Hello,

My chest pain/abdominal pain/nausea/possible Costochondritis didn't start until I had been gluten-free for 4 years. In the last 2 years years they have done 2 cardio work-ups, 2 abdominal ultrasounds, and 1 abdominal CT scan with a second scheduled. They come up with nothing each time and I have suggested Costochondritis with no acknowledgment that it might be the problem. I have suggested a food intolerance that we've missed. I have asked to see a gastroenterologist too without success. I am sick and tired of being sick and tired. I hope going gluten-free works for you to relieve the chest pain and pressure though!

Michelle

Western Washington State

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

Hello,

My chest pain/abdominal pain/nausea/possible Costochondritis didn't start until I had been gluten-free for 4 years. In the last 2 years years they have done 2 cardio work-ups, 2 abdominal ultrasounds, and 1 abdominal CT scan with a second scheduled. They come up with nothing each time and I have suggested Costochondritis with no acknowledgment that it might be the problem. I have suggested a food intolerance that we've missed. I have asked to see a gastroenterologist too without success. I am sick and tired of being sick and tired. I hope going gluten-free works for you to relieve the chest pain and pressure though!

Michelle

Western Washington State

I continued to have bloating and chest pain, difficulty breathing, pain in my arms and shoulders, erratic heart beats, etc., etc., up until a month ago. I had been putting two and two together and only coming up with three and a half until someone here posted about lectins and the sums finally added up. I eliminated almost all lectins (a lot of them I already didn't eat like soy, corn, nightshades) There are lectins in gluten, in soy, in dairy, nightshades, legumes, corn, peanuts. I can still eat dairy without problem, but have cut out all the rest and so far (crossing fingers) everything has been behaving pretty well. Google lectins and do some reading. If you have the keyhole(s) for the lectin key(s) they can do some nasty things to ya. :(

nyctexangal Rookie

Michelle,

I'm SO sorry you are walking through this too. I hate that. The pain is terrible. My heart so goes out to you. Hmmm...I am racking my brain to find out what we are missing that is causing this....AHHH!!!! :blink: ....which brings me to-

Mushroom,

Wow, I would NOT have thought of lectins...thank you so much for sharing that! I have been doing lots of research on legumes. But I will totally try lectins this week and see how it goes. I'm SO happy to hear of another Celiac who had this problem and was able to heal from this pain. Trying to figure this out is consuming my thoughts. I just haven't been able to figure out what else is causing this pain besides the Celiac...I'll head down the lectin train.

Everyone, all your info and thoughts are so great- thank you SO much! I am so open to learning anything I can.

Lauren

gary'sgirl Explorer

This is just a thought, but I had bad chest pain when I was having gallbladder attacks. One of my docs said that people often think they are having heart attacks when they have the chest pain with gall attacks. Another thing is my GI Dr. said he thought I could be having spasm from my reflux which sometimes goes away with gluten-free diet, but sometimes needs a bit of help.

Gallbladder problems and GERD/reflux are both associated with Celiac Disease.

• 4 months later...
Foraist89 Newbie

Hello amazing community! :D

I've had Costochondritis/pressure in my chest/burning in chest for 3 1/2 years. It hurts to breathe, lift anything, laugh, cough etc. Boooo. After 75 doctors, I finally began to keep a detailed journal and realized that my pain peaked after eating oils, fried foods, breads, diet sodas, meats, anything with fiber,etc..., and a wise doctor was able to lead me to my Celiac diagnoses...I'm SO thankful for this!! Finally a reason for all this pain, yay!!!

So I'm 7 weeks gluten free...and I'm still in a place where just about everything I eat, except bananas, increases my chest pain at this point...gag. But I'm hopeful this will change as time goes on. Has anyone else had chest pain as a Celiac symptom? :blink: Or do you get chest pain when you eat gluten?

Thanks so much in advance!!

Hey,

I have had costo for almost as long.

I have recently started eating anti-inflamatory foods and avoiding inflamatory foods.

There are different foods that increase or decrease the inflammation in the body and i have been a lot better since cutting out as much inflammatory foods as possible.

The foods you mentioned that you react to are all inflamatory foods:

- oils (olive oil is ok, hydrogenatec oils and trans fats are bad - over heated oil creates trans fats)

- fried foods (the oil is inflammatory and so are potatoes)

- breads

- diet sodas (sugar is VERY inflammatory and fake sugar is apparently bad too)

- meats(some meats are inflammatory)

The main thing to avoid is sugar. sugar is very inflammatory in my experience and i get worse pain after eating sugary foods or drinks.

Green tea also really helps the pain as it is anti-inflamatory- like by the time u finish the cup the pain is reduced!

Other anti-inflamatory things:

- tumeric powder!

- ginger

- garlic and cumin (i think)

- pineapple!

- nuts n seeds

- water

- blue berries

- strawberries

Inflammatory things:

- sugar

- tomatoes

- potatoes

- fried foods

- some meats

- caffeine (coffee)

-

I signed up to this forum just so i could reply to your post so please try this stuff out! people cant stay on anti-inflamatory tablets for long and i have tried cortisone injections, ice, etc and this helps so just slowly change your diet and look up anti-inflamatory books and cookbooks on ebay eg. "the anti-inflammation diet and recipe book" by jessica k black N.D. explained this stuff to me + has recipes

If u dont try any of this just CUT OUT SUGAR! and drink green tea (liptons with lemon is nice)

Hope this helps!

dragon Rookie

i have this regularly had it all day in fact ant acids dont touch it anything seems to make it kick off

txplowgirl Enthusiast

I've had chest pains and problems breathing since I was 7. It wasn't until I got rid of everything from the gluten, dairy, soy and finally the nightshades that my asthma went away. That's when I finally started getting relief. I haven't had chest pain in almost 6 months now. It took almost a year for it to go away. This is also the first year since I was 7 that I haven't had asthmatic bronchitis. I used to get it at least twice a year.

Hang in there it does get bettr.

By the way I love your dragon. I'm a dragon lover and I collect dragons, also, have you read the Dragonriders of Pern series by Anne McCaffrey? They are fantastic, I have them all.

Anyway, I hope you get to feeling better soon.

crimsonviolet Apprentice

My costo started around the same time as my DH rash, which was shortly after my 2nd child was born. I never really connected the two until I started researching gluten just a few months ago. I've been close to pain free since eliminating gluten. One of my (many) signs of a glutening is chest pain or a foreboding tightness in my chest.

• 1 year later...
rcroney Newbie

Hi! I am VERY new to this site and the whole gluten free world! I was just diagnosed intolerant, and am going to be checked by my GI next week for celiac. Yipes! i've been "off" gluten for about 3 weeks (i've had 3 cheat days already), and was curious if my costochondritis could be associated with this allergy. I'm 21 and have had this problem with chest pain for about 3 years now. When I was first diagnosed my doctor made it sound like it was something that went away after a few advil and some bengay, but it never did. After a while I noticed i could barely exercise, swim, jog, or even go up and down the stairs quickly without being out of breath. Now I am pretty young and certainly not overweight... I have a very active job and do yoga, but I don't work out all the time. Still, it seemed weird that I was becoming out of breath so quickly. Anyway, I'm very curious to see if this will go away after being off gluten for an extended period of time.

Thanks for all the posts of support... but I am scared to see how many food allergies are related to celiacs!

r

Archived