This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Is Up With Bacon!

Aphreal

Aphreal Contributor

I can have bacon pieces on my potato or lettuce wrap but if I eat a whole piece or two.. Within an hour I am having an *episode* and looking for a bathroom. Is there gluten in bacon?

Tiff

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

In my ten years as a celiac, I have never seen bacon with gluten. I'm not saying it is impossible, but if there is one out there we don't know about it.

Aphreal Contributor

Peter, actually I think my gut doesn't like it for some reason because I can't find anything suspect but I get 'ick' every time I eat it. (more than a few bits that is)

Im still new so.. you guys might see a bunch of dumb questions.

:)

Skylark Collaborator

The only dumb question is the one you don't ask. :)

Bacon and sausage tend to be IBS triggers. You could try a lower-fat turkey bacon.

psawyer Proficient

There are no dumb questions, although you may see some dumb answers. ;)

mushroom Proficient

Peter, actually I think my gut doesn't like it for some reason because I can't find anything suspect but I get 'ick' every time I eat it. (more than a few bits that is)

Im still new so.. you guys might see a bunch of dumb questions.

:)

Not so dumb really. In other parts of the world you do have to watch bacon (for those folks who live or visit elsewhere).

jerseyangel Proficient

There are no dumb questions, although you may see some dumb answers. ;)

:lol::lol::lol:

It could be the fat in the bacon, or you could be sensitive to one of the ingredients used to cure it. Early on in the diet, it's best to start with fresh meats and other whole foods until you get a handle on things.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

If you are new to the diet your gut might just be in withdrawals. In the beginning it can go haywire. I would get sick from this food. Then another time a different food, even if they were gluten free. Around week 5 or 6 everything made me sick and others have gone through that too.

Your tummy will adjust after your healing phase. Bacon is so fatty. Your gut might just be sensitive to that right now.

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

I'm not sure what your problem with it is, but I'm allergic to pork. I only started having problems with it a couple years ago. It started out with tummy aches/digestive issues and then got to the point where I had trouble breathing (throat closing up and tongue getting big) when I ate it. I get turkey bacon instead and don't have a problem. If bacon bothers you, just don't eat it.

Aphreal Contributor

PATTI I have to first say... I am in l.o.v.e. with sunflowers. I dig your avatar.

You know.. Whether the gluten created IBS or vs versa or what ever... I DO have irritable bowel and bacon IS a trigger but it left me alone for so long. However with the drastic overnight dietary changes, I can see why it would give me fits now. I also find foods I know are gluten-free and I know I like are giving me fits then I second guess if it has gluten. It really puts my mind to ease a bit knowing that this could be a withdrawl and I just to wait it out, do the best I can.

I love really lean steak and beef and chicken, fish... I will stick with those.

Thanks ya'll!

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

PATTI I have to first say... I am in l.o.v.e. with sunflowers. I dig your avatar.

You know.. Whether the gluten created IBS or vs versa or what ever... I DO have irritable bowel and bacon IS a trigger but it left me alone for so long. However with the drastic overnight dietary changes, I can see why it would give me fits now. I also find foods I know are gluten-free and I know I like are giving me fits then I second guess if it has gluten. It really puts my mind to ease a bit knowing that this could be a withdrawl and I just to wait it out, do the best I can.

Thanks ya'll!

If you use the search function on here and read old posts about withdrawals it will make you feel better. Right now just eat clean. I have this image in my head of this army of thousands of tiny little men in your gut with all their tiny tools and ladders hammering away. They run off to find all the nutrients and good things they can get to clean up all that damage and then they throw fits when you send junk food to clog things up again. LOL That funny image helped me deal with it when I was where you are.

Gluten free substitutes messed me up for a long time. There are still many I stay away from because of too many weird ingredients. Complicated foods in general just didn't sit well for a long time.

I like a lot of Glutino foods because they are some of the simpler ingredients I've found compared to others. I post this so often, you'd think I could get a job advertising for them, but I love Gluten Free Pantry bread mix. It costs about a fourth of what you pay for Udi's and the ingredients are quite simple. No tapioca starch which many have trouble with.

jerseyangel Proficient

Thanks ya'll!

Thanks! I think sunflowers scream summer :D

I think you are wise to stick to simpler, whole foods for a while. I'm 5 years gluten-free, and while I will have things like bacon or sausage once in a while my system is still much happier eating clean.

conniebky Collaborator

I can eat bacon as long as it doesn't have "smoke flavor" added to it.

vbecton Explorer

Someone brought up turkey bacon. Are most brands gluten free, or is there a specific brand I should be looking for? I've picked it up at the supermarket, looked at the ingredients and put it right back down. Something about "mechanically separated turkey" didn't sit well. However, I need some alternative morning protein besides those good ol' yummy eggs :) Suggestions?

GlutenFreeManna Rising Star

Someone brought up turkey bacon. Are most brands gluten free, or is there a specific brand I should be looking for? I've picked it up at the supermarket, looked at the ingredients and put it right back down. Something about "mechanically separated turkey" didn't sit well. However, I need some alternative morning protein besides those good ol' yummy eggs :) Suggestions?

I eat Butterball turkey bacon. It's the only one I have found without soy and without pork (yes, some turkey bacons actually contain "pork flavoring" :blink: ). One thing about turkey bacon is that because it is so low in fat it won't crisp up as easily in a skillet. I line my broiler pan with foil, cut slits in it and bake in the oven at 375 for about 20 minutes or until crispy. :)

vbecton Explorer

I eat Butterball turkey bacon. It's the only one I have found without soy and without pork (yes, some turkey bacons actually contain "pork flavoring" :blink: ). One thing about turkey bacon is that because it is so low in fat it won't crisp up as easily in a skillet. I line my broiler pan with foil, cut slits in it and bake in the oven at 375 for about 20 minutes or until crispy. :)

Good tip! I'm going to try this. I'm getting pretty tired of eggs. I need some flava :lol:

Gemini Experienced

I can have bacon pieces on my potato or lettuce wrap but if I eat a whole piece or two.. Within an hour I am having an *episode* and looking for a bathroom. Is there gluten in bacon?

Tiff

The problem is most likely the fat content of bacon. It's very common to have deficiencies in pancreatic enzymes if you are a Celiac (I do) and this can make digestion of fattier items difficult. Fat will tend to shoot right through you. There are enzymes you can buy to help digest fats and proteins.

They really help.

Aphreal Contributor

I thought I was going to be a smarty pants. I found turkey bacon that stated gluten free. I cooked the whole pound and vaccum packed it for my easy use. I hate it! Its floppy and chewy. blech. I miss bacon but I am willing to ditch it. I was eating a little bacon on my salads and lettuce wraps and potatoes... I still am suffering from that but it's getting fewer and far between.

Now about them eggs. I have a friend who has laying hens. I don't mind eating those eggs every day, they are 1000000x better than the egg beaters I was eating!I usually eat a buckwheat waffle with it.

Archived