Kim69

Abdominal Pain And Wind 1 Yr On gluten-free Diet

Rate this topic

I am so tired of being in constant pain and discomfort from intestinal wind. Sorry for the whinge! After being on the gluten-free diet for over a year and also being on the low FODMAP diet I would expect some improvement in this area.

Certainly I am improved overall. I am absorbing nutrients and am no longer anemic or zinc deficient. I am still tired but improved. I am in bed by 7.30 rather than 6.30 pm LOL. I still have brain fog but it is better than it was.

My blood tests show normal antibodies so I am not getting hidden gluten and I would know if I was because I get diarrhea when I get poisoned.

I am being treated for depression (antidepressant) - in fact I was being treated successfully for depression before I was diagnosed and even before the symptoms began). I am feeling really sick and tired of feeling tired and in pain and discomfort. I miss cycling to work and going for a run at lunchtime. A walk just doesn't give the same feel good endorphins.

I have put on 8 kg in the past 18 months. I can admit it - it's due to inactivity and eating too much!

I have had every test under the sun and am just sick of it all. Thyroid normal. Hormones normal ( I had a hysterectomy about 18 m ago and I think that's the reason my Coeliac disease was triggered). Bloodwork normal. My dietitian can't suggest anything more i can do with diet.

Any suggestions or similar experiences?

Any

I had a bone density test and I have osteopenia (I am 41 yo).

Did you ever do a food journal, by any chance?

That helped me AND my kids significantly. For them, we dropped the 8 most common food allergens from their diet and then recorded their foods (including brands, in case there was a common contaminant) and reactions.

We found some foods that are definite issues, but they weren't always the 8 allergens. However, we had to make a lot more food from scratch on that diet, and so our foods were more 'whole' and less mixed with lots of additives and such, so that helped a lot.

For me, I at first thought I had a stomach flu, I was so sick on a gluten-free diet, so I kind of dropped everything for a couple days and just had water, and then started adding things back in.

It was really, really clear right away that food was the issue, because when I didn't eat, I didn't feel bad. And then when I started new foods, I'd feel bad pretty darn quick. If you think that would work for you and you feel safe with it, that might be worth pursuing, just fasting for a day or so, with just water (not filtered water, by the way, but tap water or bottled water). See if you feel better. If you do, at least you'll know that something you are eating is what is affecting you.

Oh, the reason I mention tap water? All carbon filters for water (and there are usually carbon filters put in before reverse osmosis filters, too) come from cooconut, so on the off chance you are sensitive to that, you might want to try the plain water with the fasting.

But, in case you are just looking for foods that might be of issue? Have you looked at annatto? It's a natural dye in many foods, doesn't have to labeled by name, and causes tons of gut symptoms. A great website about it:

http://www.ibsnomore.com/annatto-food-list

Histamine or salicylate sensitivity I know can be an issue, but I don't recall if gut issues are the result.

Corn - this is an issue for many celiacs, and it's very hard to avoid without making a concerted effort. Xanthan gum is corn based, citric acid tends to be slightly corn contaminated, all iodized salt contains corn (it stabilizes the iodine), most baking powder has corn starch added.

...and one last thing? Gluten still, as weird as that sounds.

If you go looking at some studies of Celiacs with neuro reactions to gluten, some of them are having measurable neurological issues even when blood tests and endo indicate that the gut has healed and they are getting 'no gluten.' But ingesting so little gluten that it doesn't visibly damage the gut was still enough to give them symptoms in other areas. Perhaps that might be the case with you as well? Or...do you know if you are oat sensitive? If you are, many gluten-free products aren't any good for us, because gluten-free oats are still no good for an oat sensitive celiac, but gluten-free foods are not protected against cc as well with gluten-free oats.

Wish I had more ideas! So sorry you're feeling so crummy still. It's so dispiriting to work so hard, and still not be well. I totally sympathize!

Thanks for the ideas TH. My main problem is that I just feel a constant pain that doesn't seem affected by food. It's an interesting idea to fast for a day though. Mind you, my psychologist wouldn't be happy! She and I are concerned I will slip into anorexia because of my fear of food. She has advised that I eat all foods I have been told i can eat and not try to worry about what may or may not cause problems. She says by all means continue investigations with professional assistance - eg elimination diets and blood tests etc.

To tell the truth I am exhausted by it all. Maybe I just need more time to heal?

Are you still consuming dairy and soy? These will cause those issues. Try to eliminate both for a couple of weeks and see what happens. Just a thought.

what about other grains? especially corn??

and have u also had your vit D tested?? i scored deficient at a 26 and started supplementing- i have to say- i have less muscle spasms- including all my abdominal muscles that were seizing up. it COULD also affect the smooth muscle of your intestines?

i hope you get answers and relief soon!

oh wait- what about legumes or beans?? i cant do those either

Recently I was having a lot of bloating and wind and none of my usual remedies helped very much. I happened to have some dried hoarhound in a jar and looked up what it is good for. It is a mild laxative besides being good for lung congestion although it may have some hypoglycemic effect, other than that it seemed quite safe to use. And it is also a paracide. I started using a strong tea with honey and the first thing I noticed is that the honey did not give me gas. Hoarhound did have a very mild laxative effect and helped get out the bacteria or yeasts which were overgrowing and producing gas. I used it for about a week and found that my gas problems were better even when I stopped. And I can still eat honey and tolerate other carbohydrate better. I did a few more days of the tea and like the effect it is having but it is very strong so will use it occasionally. I didn't notice the hypoglycemic effect.