This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Thankful To Be Gluten Free

Celtic Queen

Celtic Queen Explorer

Like the rest of you guys, I'm having a hard time with the holidays coming up. There's lots of tempting gluteney food everywhere that I can't eat. And navigating the food at all the social events is like walking through a mine field.

But in the interest of being a "glass is half full" kind of girl, I was thinking about things I actually liked about having Celiac Disease. Things that made me thankful this holiday season. Here's a few I came up with:

1. My coupon clipping is much faster now, since I can't buy half the stuff in the insert. B)

2. My hair is slowly starting to grow back in. Yay!

3. I don't have to worry about putting on holiday pounds since I can't eat a lot of the treats that will be around.

4. I'm eating more fruits and veggies.

5. My friends and family have been so kind and supportive.

So, what are the things that Celiac Disease makes you grateful for this Thanksgiving?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I am thankful that I am still alive and not in daily pain anymore.

Don't miss the gluten at all....well, except for phyllo...

Lisa Mentor

New puppy too? :D

IrishHeart Veteran

Not sure I am grateful for the disease itself, but I am damn grateful I figured out what was trying to kill me :blink: because being gluten free saved my life. :)

I am beyond grateful to my husband who never lost faith we would find an answer, who drove me to hundreds of doctor's appointments in 3 different states over 3 years, who picked me up off the floor when I was so weak, dressed me when I couldn't do it myself, and who held me when I was crying and scared that I was losing my mind and dying.

Thank God those days are behind me! I still have pain issues, but I am patient and hope for the best.

Grateful for this forum and the many who have guided and encouraged me. :)

You guys are the best!

This is the first Thanksgiving (and BIRTHDAY) since 2006 that I am going to enjoy my dinner! :) whoohoo!!! :) and pass me that gluten-free pie please!

Thanksgiving Blessings to everyone!!

IrishHeart Veteran

Raven, I miss my baklava, too...but check this out!

looks like serious work, but do-able! :)

beebs Enthusiast

I am grateful that at least one of my autoimmune diseases can be put into remission with no hardcore drugs that are often worse than the disease itself. Seriously- I just think my mum is so lucky that she was undiagnosed for 40 years but it didn't trigger anything else. (Although her bones are shot to heck which is bad) . The other autoimmune stuff I have going on is awful - and the medications are worse. yayy for gluten free diets!

Lisa Mentor

Not sure I am grateful for the disease itself, but I am damn grateful I figured out what was trying to kill me :blink: because being gluten free saved my life. :)

I am beyond grateful to my husband who never lost faith we would find an answer, who drove me to hundreds of doctor's appointments in 3 different states over 3 years, who picked me up off the floor when I was so weak, dressed me when I couldn't do it myself, and who held me when I was crying and scared that I was losing my mind and dying.

Thank God those days are behind me! I still have pain issues, but I am patient and hope for the best.

Grateful for this forum and the many who have guided and encouraged me. :)

You guys are the best!

This is the first Thanksgiving since 2006 that I am going to enjoy my dinner! :) whoohoo!!! :) and pass me that gluten-free pie please!

I'm thankful for your kindness and good sense. :D And I proofread a little better because of you. :rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

New puppy too? :D

You bet. Wouldn't want to be without her although she is hardly a puppy. Actually I am thankful for that too as she was already crate trained and housebroken. :D I think she is thankful to be gluten free also because she doesn't have to deal with the upset tummy she had at the shelter and the first couple days here.

I am also thankful for the 16 year old kitty in pic with her and my other furry friends and I think they are thankful for being gluten free too.

And of course I am thankful for all the wonderful helpful and compassionate people here.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Raven, I miss my baklava, too...but check this out!

looks like serious work, but do-able! :)

WOW!!!!!!!!!!

That's a video I am going to have to bookmark. Looks like a relaxing way to spend a winter afternoon. Thanks for posting. :)

Lori2 Contributor

I am grateful for this forum and all the patient posters. You never know when you will come across that post which will give you just the clue you need. So I read and read and read.

sandsurfgirl Collaborator

I'm thankful to be alive because a couple of months ago I felt like I might not make it.

I'm thankful for medicines that put me right.

I'm thankful that celiac is treatable with diet and much of the damage is reversible.

IrishHeart Veteran

I'm thankful for your kindness and good sense. :D And I proofread a little better because of you. :rolleyes:

aw, thanks, Lisa :) and I am grateful for you, too--as I told you last week, I sooooo appreciate your voice of reason and your humor! ;)

ElseB Contributor

I'm thankful I'm Canadian and our thanksgiving was over a month ago...looooong before Christmas! I don't know how you Americans manage two big holidays so close together (even if avoiding gluten wasn't an issue!). :)

Marilyn R Community Regular

I'm so thankful that I can sleep, and that we're eating healthier foods. Thanks for reminding us what it's all about.

rosetapper23 Explorer

I'm grateful that, even though it's sometimes difficult to walk because of damage from celiac, I still CAN walk.

I'm grateful that, although I'm often fatigued, I'm not as fatigued as I was before I knew I had celiac.

I'm grateful that my mother and son have fully recovered from celiac because of the gluten-free diet.

I'm grateful that there is hope that some of the remaining symptoms that I have will eventually go away over time.

I'm grateful that I now know what a healthful diet REALLY is.

I'm grateful for supportive family members and friends who are so careful to serve me safe food.

And, lastly, even though it was probably celiac that caused my breast cancer, I'm grateful that I now know how to eat better and live my life more fully because celiac made me realize that I need to enjoy each moment--I'm no longer in pain and want to get as much out of my life as possible.

Thanks to all of you wonderful people on this forum!!

IrishHeart Veteran

I'm thankful I'm Canadian and our thanksgiving was over a month ago...looooong before Christmas! I don't know how you Americans manage two big holidays so close together (even if avoiding gluten wasn't an issue!). :)

We don't know how/why we do it either. It's nuts! :lol:

bigbird16 Apprentice

I'm thankful for the wisdom, experience, friendship, and support I've found here on this board; my health and your health, that we have this opportunity to recover; good food that makes my body feel happy; friends who try to understand; family who probably will never "get it" but who I love anyway and especially; and my pups who make me laugh every day and cuddle with me when I feel icky.

Celtic Queen Explorer

I forgot to add on my original post that I'm grateful for everyone on this board too. You all have been such a big help to me as I try to figure everything out. It's nice to know that whatever issue I'm having, there's someone here to lend an ear, provide advice, and give support.

shakemysoul Newbie

I am thankful that I finally know why I have been in a spacey fog, weak and exhausted for 2 years straight. And very thankful to be feeling more normal again!

Also thankful for my sweet puppy Bailey who is 1 year old today and also gluten free! Thankful for no more runny messes in the house!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

IrishHeart Veteran

I am thankful that I finally know why I have been in a spacey fog, weak and exhausted for 2 years straight. And very thankful to be feeling more normal again!

Also thankful for my sweet puppy Bailey who is 1 year old today and also gluten free! Thankful for no more runny messes in the house!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Good for you! Isn't it amazing to be "normal" again? This is what I would tearfully say to my hubby---I just want to be "normal" again. I want to be "me" again...that "lost in space" thing for 3 years was torturous and frightening....but, now I'm baaaack!!! :D

Yes, our kitty is gluten-free too...(as all pets should be, I think)her coat is gorgeous...now, if only MY hair would hurry up and grow back in.... :rolleyes:

Happy T-day to you!!!

Archived