This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Have Your Tastes Changed?

Diane-in-FL

Diane-in-FL Explorer

Has anyone experienced the phenomena of no longer liking the foods you used to love the most? I used to be raving chocoholic, but now, as time goes on, I like it less and less. I have successfully converted favorite recipes to gluten free, but for some reason, I don't like chocolate much anymore (is that the sound of the world ending, lol?). I still like other sweets, like apple crisp, muffins, pies, etc. But all I really want to eat is the good hearty food....meat, chicken, homemade soups, veggies.....that's good.....it's what my body needs apparently. But it's still weird that chocolate no longer appeals to me. That's my strange story.....what's yours? B)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

silk Contributor

Has anyone experienced the phenomena of no longer liking the foods you used to love the most? I used to be raving chocoholic, but now, as time goes on, I like it less and less. I have successfully converted favorite recipes to gluten free, but for some reason, I don't like chocolate much anymore (is that the sound of the world ending, lol?). I still like other sweets, like apple crisp, muffins, pies, etc. But all I really want to eat is the good hearty food....meat, chicken, homemade soups, veggies.....that's good.....it's what my body needs apparently. But it's still weird that chocolate no longer appeals to me. That's my strange story.....what's yours? B)

Odd, but yes and chocolate would be one thing that really does not appeal anymore. Leaves a kind of nasty aftertaste. Is way too sweet and just doesn't do it for me anymore. Now give me a big plate of gluten-free spaghetti and meatballs and a tasty salad with some Chebe bread and I'm there!

Marilyn R Community Regular

Odd, but yes and chocolate would be one thing that really does not appeal anymore. Leaves a kind of nasty aftertaste. Is way too sweet and just doesn't do it for me anymore. Now give me a big plate of gluten-free spaghetti and meatballs and a tasty salad with some Chebe bread and I'm there!

Dark chocolate with almonds is something I still can't resist. Or just dark or bittersweet chocolate.

I don't crave chocolate, but I enjoy a dark chocolate after a meal. It substitutes for desert.

My cravings usually involve root vegetables or something in the cabbage family. If it's just sheer hunger, I crave protein.

Diane-in-FL Explorer

Oh good.....I don't feel so crazy now. :) And yes, it seems just too sweet. My husband made gluten-free biscotti yesterday and I don't want them at all. But he totally understands all the odd tings that go along with the gluten thing.

mamaw Community Regular

Pizza was a weekend treat on Saturdays & usually all Saturdays.. Went gluten-free & craved it but ten years ago I couldn't find a pizza that actually tasted like a regular pizza.. So I ate the cardboard gluten-free one at times... Now I don't or rarely eat any pizza!!!!!Plus I was a cookie, pie cake eater now I don't do that often either....clean eatiing has become a way of life...

mommida Enthusiast

I found that I was pickier about the chocolate. Hershey's tastes like it has a lot of cheap wax in it. I switched to dark chocolate, milk chocolate is too sweet.

luvs2eat Collaborator

Mine sort of totally changed. I used to love to bake, but haven't been able to recreate a chocolate chip cookie that tastes good to me and many other baked things ... so I don't bake much anymore. If I'm looking for a snack/treat, I'm usually looking for salty and crispy rather than sweet and chewy.

I make hundreds of "buckeyes"... peanut butter balls dipped in chocolate... at this time of year and if I eat 2... that's a lot. I give 'em all away.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

When I was a little kid, I loved chocolate. When puberty hit, I HATED chocolate. Yes, too sweet and a nasty aftertaste. When menopause hit, I started craving chocolate, and I ate WAY too much. Now I'm back to not liking it. I can still enjoy chocolate ice cream, but candy bars just don't appeal at all.

What is happenning now is a bit strange. I am hungry ALL the time, and nothing satisfies me. I can eat my meat/rice/cauliflower mixture until my stomach is so full it hurts. Yet my mind is telling me I'm still hungry. I know it's because I'm not getting the nutrients I need with this very limited diet. I'm going to have to get some gluten free/ corn free/ salicylate free supplements made. <_<

MenHen Rookie

Most definitely! For me, I now eat a lot more protein. I also eat meats I never liked before like ham and bacon. I don't have the crazy cravings like I used to have. I still want pizza from time to time, but not nearly as often. I have never been much of a dessert fan, but I probably have had a lot more deserts lately just from trying things out so that I have know what is good when I want it.

tarnalberry Community Regular

My opinion: If you are listening to your body and giving it what it wants/needs, then your tastes will change over time (and from season to season) because your body's needs change over time (and season to season).

captaincrab55 Enthusiast

I can't remember the last time I used a salt shaker... I cut back on sugar and many of my foods that I usually ate are now very sweet without sugar..

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Yes, let me count the ways.... The list is too long and depressing.

I have found a love of tamales and corn chips. Apparently insatiable.

silk Contributor

I found that I was pickier about the chocolate. Hershey's tastes like it has a lot of cheap wax in it. I switched to dark chocolate, milk chocolate is too sweet.

Can I get an 'Amen'? Totally agree. The darker, the better, but only occasionally and only in very small doses.

silk Contributor

Yes, let me count the ways.... The list is too long and depressing.

I have found a love of tamales and corn chips. Apparently insatiable.

It's interesting because my tastes go in cycles too. One week I could eat tuna with celery, carrots and vinegar for breakfast lunch and dinner, and the next week it will be something totally different and I don't even want to look at the tuna. Right now, I'm just getting over a stomach bug (not gluten) and nothing sounds good. That's a problem when you are a type one diabetic and have to keep your blood sugar stable.

Archived