This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten And Violence

naserian

naserian Rookie

Hello. My name is Anna i'm 20 years old and i am in this forum to share my story and also to learn more about other people with gluten sensitivity/intolerance.

It seems gluten has a very extreme and rare impact in me that even my doctor doesnt agree with it.He doesnt agree that gluten affects my behavior.( But of caurse i dont trust him because the evedence proove me right).I become extremely violet argessive paranoid and ferious.Its like i am another person not able to function with no control on my reactions. My story goes back years ago ...when i was a child almost 7 years old i was violet with others and my self beating up and puntchig my head ,throughing things against the wall, breaking plates or glasses, kicking and slapping my mother without a reason.She took me to psychologists,to psychiatrists who suggest me to take Risperdal but of caurse it didnt help me...nothing seemed to help me and year after year was getting more violet ,getting more fat. I was extremely isolated ,i had was always late at school because i wasnt able to sleep at night and because i didnt get sleep for days i was collapsing from tierness ,i lost many years in the same class because of that. I was sleeping 4 tnight per week and the rest i was awake ...nothing seemed to work ......I was growing my anger issiues were growing as well....Tow years ago i was readind about Autism in an article of a magazine ...it get in my ming so i start searching about Autism ...i start thinking that i may be Autistic...and i suddenely find out about autism and diet...And here it comes.. gluten...i start reading about it about it and how it can affect the brain and the body...i decide with my mother to make an experimend and i went gluten/wheat free....Within 2 weeks i became a total differend person..my mother said to me that she never saw me smilling....and that was true i never laughed or smile ....my skin became lighter and smoother ...i lost 9 kg in 7 mounths just by cutting out gluten,people who had seen me before go gluten free and saw me after couldnt belive my change ....the firts thought was that i just grow upand my behavior improove...i understand their subspeciousness ,only my mother knows because she witnessed the hole differences. For tow years i was clean of gluten and not a single fight with anyone,nothing what do think and say has nothing to do with how i was ..Its amazing how this proplem destroyed me for 18 years. Its tradic to realise that something was taking control over you ,sometimes i feel ashamed. I did so many wrong things i know that it wasnt my fault because i didnt choose to be born this way ...but its the need and the wish that if i could turn back the time and as a child could become more couriost about Autism then i whould be able to know what was wrong....but i know this couldnt be possible.I somehow feel proud for myself because i was the one who discover it . Althought im not a celiac my mother is ger gluten intolerance affect her in the gut i guess my in the brain. I had also made another experiment i went back to gluten this Christmans for a week in the start i notice i start geting a round belly and in the end of the week i had i fight with three people(i still try to remember the reason but i can't)and i had a realy badfight with my mother again....after tow years.....in a week.....thats shocking. I feel the need to share my experience and reminde to people that since we are what we eat ...whe have to pay attention to what we eat as we pay attention to what we are. I am realy dissapontent by the way doctors treated my case ,because my blood test was negative they dissagree that i have any problems with gluten at all and i was wrong...but i know i wasnt ,i trust my instict what i see and feel. I know that my life wasnt easy ,the life of those who were next to me as well but since now i know what made my life difficuld im not willing going back to this that i call "dark era "of my life

P.S I m sorry for my English but its not my mother language.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

I'm so glad to hear that you figured this out about yourself so young. You mention wanting to turn back time, but I didn't figure out my gluten problems until I was in my 30s. Gluten was affecting my mind too - I was misdiagnosed with bipolar illness. I used to be very irritable too, and the problems affected all of my relationships and I almost had to quit school. It took longer than two weeks for me, but my personality changed like you're describing.

mushroom Proficient

Congratulations on solving your puzzle :) Doctors should never discount their patients' knowledge of their own bodies and behaviour - we know a lot more than they think they know :rolleyes:

Hedgie Newbie

My son has aspergers and when he used to eat gluten he would bite himself and others and was very aggressive sometimes. Like you said, it was like something else was controlling him. Glad you did your homework and decided to try it! Look forward to a lot more better years!

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

You are absolutely right about gluten causing anger. I had irrational anger and lashed out for no reason too. I am thrilled for you that you figured this out. Normally I am calm and content but for the gluten years I was a raging B****. Just ask my ex-husband. Wow. Gluten can definitely effect your mood. You are so brilliant to have figured it out. I'm very proud of you. Now if we can just get Dr.'s, teachers and parents to recognize the mood disorders caused by gluten...there are so many people who don't know the simple cure is to avoid wheat. But congraatulations to you on finding out. I'm 48 and lived a gluten life until 47. I'm a whole different person now. Thank god. Anyway, just wanted you to know you are right. To thine own self be true. You have a much better future to look forward to.

naserian Rookie

Thank all of you for your kind words and support. Its very imprtand for me and i think for everyone to know that there are othere people who are going through or have been through the same. Its also importand to speak to people about it to tallk about it to friends to familly about what kind of physical and mental problems it can cause. I am willing to speak for anyone who wants to listen . Imagine how many people have been diagnosed with mental conditios that is nothing more than gluten intolerance/sensitivity...its so simple untill you figure out but yet so complicated because it destroy you and your life so secretly and quiet that its not easy to realise. Im very inerested into write a book about my gluten experience i feel that its like a duty to me to talk about it. No person should have to deal with something like that ,knowlege is power.

revenant Enthusiast

Thank you for sharing your story, it's very inspirational, and so special that you figured it out and stuck to it despite what the doctors said. Gluten caused be to be aggressive, paranoid and angry also. It never ceases to amaze me, what it does to the mind, not so much the body. I wonder what would happen if all of the jails went gluten free? I bet there would be a change in some patients.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 4 months later...
CanineGluten Newbie

iVe had similar issues with gluten. Just fully and responsibly coming to terms with it now. !!

• 5 years later...
Louis Newbie

I am a 45 year old male with the same issue. I have have inconsistent and explainable mood swings. I have literally tried everything from herbal sedatives, Lithium, antidepressants etc. I can relate to your story. Nothing made sense. My body was always inflamed. Skin rash, joint pains, brain fog etc. My research eventually pointed to Gluten. Yes it does affect the brain. It causes brain inflammation and your immune system is attacking cells. It explains the sudden lashing out. When the brain is under attack from the immune system or chemicals, it behaves in irrational ways. The brain is extremely fragile. Any chemical imbalances can totally throw it off and send it into an uncontrollable spin.

Ennis-TX Grand Master
3 hours ago, Louis said:

I am a 45 year old male with the same issue. I have have inconsistent and explainable mood swings. I have literally tried everything from herbal sedatives, Lithium, antidepressants etc. I can relate to your story. Nothing made sense. My body was always inflamed. Skin rash, joint pains, brain fog etc. My research eventually pointed to Gluten. Yes it does affect the brain. It causes brain inflammation and your immune system is attacking cells. It explains the sudden lashing out. When the brain is under attack from the immune system or chemicals, it behaves in irrational ways. The brain is extremely fragile. Any chemical imbalances can totally throw it off and send it into an uncontrollable spin.

First off this thread is 2012 and dead. Second I can relate, I have a gluten ataxia issues where it causes my immune system to also attack my nervous system and brain. Results are extreme confusion, and brain fog leading to random outburst and extreme mood swings, a few artificial sweeteners also bring out Mr. Hyde but that is another story. I would randomly lash and and break things, punch walls, the steel fridge, yell at people. I luckily have this mental block/wall that says if I hit someone I get my toys taken away, and am unable stay in a health safe area with safe foods. So I would just hit the nearest wall.....funny how I had the ataxia so I had not felling in my fist....I would find studs...nails...that way. I also left imprints of my knuckles in steel appliances and wooden beams. Anyway.....not much a issue last few times I got major gluten spells my symptoms had evolved to full motor loss....so I end up on the floor for the majority of it now days.  I did a whole trauma post awhile back about this and how it led to family and friends avoiding me, burning life bridges. and alienated me from everyone I used to know.....still that way now.

Victoria1234 Experienced
9 hours ago, Ennis_TX said:

First off this thread is 2012 and dead. Second I can relate, I have a gluten ataxia issues where it causes my immune system to also attack my nervous system and brain. Results are extreme confusion, and brain fog leading to random outburst and extreme mood swings, a few artificial sweeteners also bring out Mr. Hyde but that is another story. I would randomly lash and and break things, punch walls, the steel fridge, yell at people. I luckily have this mental block/wall that says if I hit someone I get my toys taken away, and am unable stay in a health safe area with safe foods. So I would just hit the nearest wall.....funny how I had the ataxia so I had not felling in my fist....I would find studs...nails...that way. I also left imprints of my knuckles in steel appliances and wooden beams. Anyway.....not much a issue last few times I got major gluten spells my symptoms had evolved to full motor loss....so I end up on the floor for the majority of it now days.  I did a whole trauma post awhile back about this and how it led to family and friends avoiding me, burning life bridges. and alienated me from everyone I used to know.....still that way now.

Gluten made me mean. Especially Pepperidge farm products and certain other things. made me pick fights with my parents when I was a kid. I felt like Jekyll and Hyde too. I could tell I was mean but couldn't stop it.

Celiac's Wifey Explorer
On 9/12/2017 at 3:33 AM, Louis said:

inconsistent and explainable mood swings

I know this is an old dead thread, but it really got to me, because I hadn't seen it before, and it makes me think of my oldest daughter, in a way that makes me feel really really sad.

Louis, I am glad you have figured out that gluten was giving you neurological symptoms. I hope you are on the mend.

On 9/12/2017 at 7:45 AM, Ennis_TX said:

random outburst and extreme mood swings, a few artificial sweeteners also bring out Mr. Hyde but that is another story. I would randomly lash and and break things

Ennis, your posts have been so helpful to me on this board. In particular, your reply to my rant about diagnosis was so kind and was part of my path to committing to getting gluten totally out of our house for the sake of everybodys health. 

22 hours ago, Victoria1234 said:

Gluten made me mean. Especially Pepperidge farm products and certain other things. made me pick fights with my parents when I was a kid. I felt like Jekyll and Hyde too. I could tell I was mean but couldn't stop it.

I have described my daughter like this. Like sometimes her mood swings were so extreme and would just come from absolutely nowhere. I have parented pointing out the "mean" she gets, and how it doesn't even seem like her, and how it seems like she really can't control it, and she has cried about it, and we have cried about it together and her sisters have definitely cried about it (because they are often on receiving end) and I just want her (and all of you) to be well.

I went back and look at my first post to this board in 2009, because I have no idea what I had posted. So back then, when I knew basically nothing, and I was pregnant with her,  I had asked if I should go gluten free for the pregnancy. And someone on the board said I should consider it, but my OB said it wasn't necessary.... and if I could go back in time I would tell myself that for her health I should. In her case, seeing her sick at seven.... wondering how soon her bloodbrain barrier was affected....remembering her personality changes around age 3 and 1/2 and chalking it up to other things....

I hate gluten.

Victoria1234 Experienced
19 minutes ago, Celiac's Wifey said:

remembering her personality changes around age 3 and 1/2 and chalking it up to other things....

One of my sons had crazy reactions to chocolate starting then. He would just go from super sweet and snap into Mr. Hyde. We had to ban chocolate from the house for a couple years (well my husband and I had secret chocolate stashes!) but I just wanted to say that sometimes it's not just gluten. We have to be super detectives, always!

ch88 Collaborator

Thanks for posting. Gluten can cause a lot of mental problems. I don't think that the general population or even doctors are aware of this.

My story is similar: I had extreme social anxiety, problems with anger and mental confusion on gluten. I had a very intense and confused thought process. People seemed really weird to me and I didn't understand them.  Everyone was acted in different ways at it seemed rather random to me. To me my own thought process make complete sense and everyone else was weird. Most of all people bugged me. I didn't think of myself as being an angry person, and neither did the people around me. I just swallowed my emotions because I didn't like people feeling sorry for me.  It was sad, but I felt a need to try really hard to be normal. I thought that I could by shear force of will learn to socialize or impress girls. I had a very confused and distorted and paranoid sense of the world.  I thought I was lazy and had to try harder. When it came to people the distinction between reality and my imagination was very blurred.

After I went gluten free the way I thought was so different I had a hard time even understanding why I thought the way I did.

• 9 months later...
The Vegas Kid Newbie

Like Ann and others wheat injestion can make me irrational, sometimes ANGRY, and can make me "tell people off" in a manner that- when I'm done they likely will not want to Ever speak to me again. My girlfriend had "THE Talk" with me- the same kind you have with out-of-control-alcoholics. The Talk began with "I can't take this anymore". Because of the denial I was expressing, I ALSO realized that I was "addicted" to wheat. That was 8 years ago and The Talk caused me to quit wheat. I've had a couple of "relapses" with disastrous results. This MAY have come from my father- I remember him being unexplainedly "volatile".....

• 1 month later...
shandakillen Newbie

Can someone direct me to a book, organization, online source or someplace that has valid information that Celiac Disease can cause violent behaviors?  I need to find this information it is vital.  Thank you

cyclinglady Grand Master
10 hours ago, shandakillen said:

Can someone direct me to a book, organization, online source or someplace that has valid information that Celiac Disease can cause violent behaviors?  I need to find this information it is vital.  Thank you

Open Original Shared Link

Archived